Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,393
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:30:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How much money do you earn?

Started by Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle, November 24, 2018, 08:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Apparently £27,600 is the average salary in the UK.  Seems like a reasonable amount outside London.  How much money do you earn?  And do you consider yourself well off? 

Most people on here seem to be well educated, so i'm guessing a lot of you must be bringing in the big bucks? 

New Jack

~£3804 a year on Universal Credit

Vote Labour

Funcrusher

Is someone considering a career move from shilling for Blairite vermin to wealth management?

Clive Langham

New Jack

Universal Credit's hourly rate is under a quid!

BlodwynPig

Queneau

I don't think about it in terms of money; you can't buy the look on the face of a person you have helped or seeing how they have transformed their life because of work with you. I also can't buy new shoes though so perhaps so adjustment should be going on.

Queneau

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 24, 2018, 09:05:51 PM
A lot of money.

I'm always looking for sponsorship from handsome donors.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Queneau on November 24, 2018, 09:07:19 PM
I'm always looking for sponsorship from handsome donors.

Such donations come at a price. A terrible terrible price.

Queneau

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 24, 2018, 09:08:04 PM
Such donations come at a price. A terrible terrible price.

If you want my soul, I got rid of that burden time ago.

Z

Mid-high 30s, which is low for my level and field but I'm so unnecessary atm that it's crippling my self-worth. but I'm expecting a bump of ~25% whenever I switch jobs next year (which means I'll probably wind up being paid slightly less than I am right now).

Would take a pay cut to work with something I actually cared about.

biggytitbo

I honestly don't know how much I earn because I don't care.

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 24, 2018, 09:20:53 PM
I honestly don't know how much I earn because I don't care.

You must be well off then?

BlodwynPig

six figures and I'm paid by the EU.

MuteBanana

græskar

Noonling

I'm on ~£17k, which I feel is loads. I don't even know what to do with it all.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on November 24, 2018, 09:23:26 PM
Do you pay tax?

Yes, should pay tax in the UK and Canada, but got a sweet loophole deal, so only pay once.

canadagoose

Less than that average figure quoted, but more than minimum wage. Like most people my age, a good chunk of my income disappears on rent, council tax and utilities, especially seeing as I live alone now. I don't feel particularly well-off, even though I've never earned more in my life. I think I'm either going to have to go on the council house waiting list or bite the bullet and flat-share if I want a better quality of life (EDIT: by which I mean, being able to afford holidays and non-Primark clothes). Can't be arsed to move house again, though.

Double edit: Having said that I should really cut down on my bi-weekly bacon roll habit, and I should go back to making my own sandwiches again. I've just been too disorganised lately.

Z

Quote from: Noonling on November 24, 2018, 09:30:28 PM
I'm on ~£17k, which I feel is loads. I don't even know what to do with it all.
Yeah tbh I kind of have the same issue. Have a friend who is absolutely minted and somehow it still isn't enough. When I hear her talking about how she needs to buy shit it sounds like a mental illness, cannot comprehend it at all.

Meanwhile I'm aware the only difference in my general wellbeing atm and if I was on maybe a third of that is that I'd probably die a few years earlier due to a worse diet. The extra 30 minutes a day thinking about actually budgeting stuff would be quite substantially offset by not having to be in an office by 10am every day, the extra walking from living out further and to save a bit more could be a net gain health wise.

Cuellar

Somewhere in the region of 8 billion pounds

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on November 24, 2018, 09:21:25 PM
You must be well off then?

I don't spend very much so it doesn't matter, but I know I started off on 10k and lived in a bare flat with a mattress on the floor for a few years and ate farm foods square sausages. I earn well now because I very slowly worked my way up the ladder at the cost of destroying my soul, happiness and self respect. I'd definetly trade having more money for going back to the mattress days, they were the best times.

Twit 2

Z

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 24, 2018, 09:47:44 PM

I don't spend very much so it doesn't matter, but I know I started off on 10k and lived in a bare flat with a mattress on the floor for a few years and ate farm foods square sausages. I earn well now because I very slowly worked my way up the ladder at the cost of destroying my soul, happiness and self respect. I'd definetly trade having more money for going back to the mattress days, they were the best times.
Were you doing work you enjoyed more back then?

Do you think it was possible that you could've gone in a progressive direction you would've been happier with? Like, a specific one?

Small Man Big Horse

Doing the online TEFL thing the maximum I can earn is around £13,000 but then it's only a part time job and dependent on how many classes I'm allocated. And that gives me a good 5 - 6 hours a day where I can hopefully find some other freelance work, but as it is combined with Mrs SMBH's wages we've enough to pay the rent, eat food and use clingfilm as condoms, so I'm not complaining.

Twit 2

I don't actually know what I earn but it's about 27 before tax. Wife earns more like 35 I think.

nedthemumbler

I still haven't got over the shock of that first council tax bill.  There are 7 (tiny) flats in my building, each paying a grand a year in council tax.  Buses are still late