Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,314
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:21:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How much money do you earn?

Started by Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle, November 24, 2018, 08:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

"how much do you earn?" & "how much do you get paid?" are two different questions.

by this, I mean that sometimes I earn nowt, because I'm sat here for a whole shift on C&B or watching youtube guitar videos, but I still get paid a stupid amount for the privilege.

other days, I earn more than I get paid because I catch summat that saves this multimedia behemoth a shit-load of embarrassment.

broadcast engineering is overpaid for what it is, always has been, but less so these days. I was in tech-management at another multimedia behemoth, paid even more then, but I found it interfering too much with life outside of work, & anyway the yanks wanted to run all the decision-making from over there, ignoring my 17 years of experience for the sake of golf-course deals with untrusted manufacturers, so I fucked it off. working in support means less money, but I do shifts that let me go to madrid (where the wife & kids live) a week every month, plus I don't take work home with me, ever. don't even read emails once I'm out the door.

as regards how well-off I am, I send a big chunk to the mrs every month, & live just within my means the rest of the time. no drink, no smokes, & I'm doing too many hours in three weeks to get up to much else. the odd bit of retail therapy.

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 24, 2018, 09:49:12 PM
The figure you quoted is the median.

No the figure I quoted was actually the mean.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Z on November 24, 2018, 09:38:25 PM
Have a friend who is absolutely minted and somehow it still isn't enough. When I hear her talking about how she needs to buy shit it sounds like a mental illness, cannot comprehend it at all.

This. I've got a friend who easily pulls in a six-figure sum as a global account manager, but she's always complaining that she doesn't have enough money to put aside for a deposit on a house (in fact, I remember her telling me she had about £30k in credit card debts and personal loans). You've only got to look at her car and the labels on her clothing, shoes and accessories to know why she's so financially fucked up.

I can kind of understand the mindset that if you've worked hard for the money, you deserve to spend it on nice things, and I suppose there is an inferred obligation to flash the cash when you're working in those sorts of industries, but at least sort out the roof over your fucking head before you start mooching round Prada.

chveik

Twit 2

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on November 24, 2018, 10:02:54 PM

Ah ok, the mean and median for this are pretty much the same then.

BlodwynPig

Zetetic

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on November 24, 2018, 10:02:54 PM
From what source?

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 24, 2018, 10:23:19 PM
Ah ok, the mean and median for this are pretty much the same then.
No, they're not. (You were right.)

The median annual earnings for full-time employees is about £29,000 per year.
The mean annual earnings for full-time employees is about £37,000 per year.

For more context:
The median annual earnings for all employees is about £24,000 per year.

The median annual earnings for full-time employees working in London is about £38,000 per year.
The median annual earnings for full-time employees working in Wales is about £26,000 per year.

About 10% of full-time employees earn £16,500 or less per year.
About 10% of full-time employees earn more than £60,000 per year.

(All based on provisional 2018 ASHE data, incl: here and here.)

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 24, 2018, 10:29:58 PM
Per hour

sadly, no
I don't actually earn it though, it's all welfare benefits.

katzenjammer

Let's just say I'm on silly money

New Jack

Tags: how much do you funnel offshore

BlodwynPig

Small Man Big Horse

New Jack

I survive on the milk of human kidness

Ergo I'm fucked! :D

MoonDust

Not too bad. I wear glasses though. They're supposed to be for reading but I wear them most of the time anyway.

shiftwork2

Quote from: MoonDust on November 24, 2018, 11:28:13 PM
Not too bad. I wear glasses though. They're supposed to be for reading but I wear them most of the time anyway.

Have you considered getting new ones?

Rev+

Quote from: New Jack on November 24, 2018, 08:53:31 PM
~£3804 a year on Universal Credit

Vote Labour

Same!  Although festively reduced to fuck all I think, as I've had to turn down a seasonal paying gig to take care of my partner after she's come out of hospital.  My claim for carer's allowance will be looked at at the end of January.

mothman

I think with my next payrise I might finally break the 30k barrier. Wife is on about 35, and in line for jobs paying 45. And I might get a performance gateway that'd put me up to, not sure, 32 or something. We've paid our mortgage off... which is nice.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Queneau on November 24, 2018, 09:09:01 PM
If you want my soul, I got rid of that burden time ago.

I keep trying to sell mine, but no fucker will buy it.

Some weeks, I could do two hours and get a hundred quid. Other weeks I'll do 18 hours and get two hundred quid. Bistromathics, right there.

Mr_Simnock

I'm on around 28k wife is earning almost 50k, so long as I hang around my current job I stand to do well in the next 5 years do certain circumstances.

Ferris

Enough to be comfortable and put a bit away like you're supposed to. More than I ever thought I'd make tbh, though it took a lot of really fucking hard work.

Chollis

Twed

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on November 25, 2018, 02:25:08 AM
I'm on around 28k wife is earning almost 50k, so long as I hang around my current jobwife I stand to do well in the next 5 years do certain circumstances.

katzenjammer

Jack Shaftoe

I've been writing for kids' telly for a while, mostly pre-school CBeebies type stuff, as well as a few pilots for shows that never ever see the light of day. Most years I make somewhere between 18-24K, very little of that is residuals (royalties), because pre-school doesn't pay those, apart from maybe 50p a year from when they show an old Bob the Builder on a Finnish oil rig (?).

This financial year's been rubbish though, made about half the usual amount since April, don't know why.

thenoise

I earn £8 an hour, and work about 28 hours a week.  I think that works out about £11,200 a year, minus NI tax and student debt.  My wife earns almost 4 times as much, although she does work longer hours.

Bazooka

Enough to live like a king here in China.

MoonDust

shiftwork2

Oh right, you got me.  That was quite good.

Paul Calf

That's rather a rude question if you don't mind my saying it.

Noonling

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 25, 2018, 10:41:59 AM
That's rather a rude question if you don't mind my saying it.

Wow, you earn that much?!