Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:38:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How much money do you earn?

Started by Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle, November 24, 2018, 08:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

another Mr. Lizard

Only about £1000 per year, sometimes slightly more, which tops up a rather pitiful civil service pension. Really love the work I do and the occasional commissions I'm hired for, though. And having been poorly paid through my 9-to-5 'career', I'm used to living very nicely on not much income.

dandoystevski

And what's the weather like in 1962?

another Mr. Lizard

Bloody freezing. But I've paid off my mortgage.

Emma Raducanu

25000. I genuinely cannot see me ever earning more. Only a few years ago I was on 14000 and I couldn't afford to get a round of drinks in.

After childcare, mortgage, bills, petrol, and living modestly I have about £100 at the end of the month. Still have all my student loan to pay off too.

I do sometime's wonder how much better it would be to have loads of money and I actually don't think it'd change anything. Maybe stay in a nicer hotel when we go away, possibly not keep paying to keep a 10 year old car on the road.

Blinder Data

About £29k. That will go up slightly over the next few years (more so if I want to keep climbing the greasy government pole), but we keep toying with giving it all up and going abroad to do something else. Obvs I would be giving up a steady job though. Plus soon-to-be-wife is going freelance and there's a wedding to be paid for. Decisions, decisions.

Why are Brits so afraid of discussing money? Once, I was with a friend from uni got a job straight out of uni and a German acquaintance who was there baldly said: "Oh great, well done! How much does it pay?". The friend was dumbfounded and politely explained that you don't ask those sorts of things.

But why not? If we told each other we'd realise how fucked over we're getting, especially in terms of equal pay between genders. I know for a fact in my last workplace there were people who were nominally on the same grade but on very different salaries, mostly for no good reason.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

22 and a half K I think. I can't really earn any more unless I start caring about my job, which is not probably going to happen.

Z

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 25, 2018, 11:32:22 AM
But why not? If we told each other we'd realise how fucked over we're getting, especially in terms of equal pay between genders. I know for a fact in my last workplace there were people who were nominally on the same grade but on very different salaries, mostly for no good reason.
yep, I'm definitely toying with the possibility of telling everyone around my level at work of how much I make when I'm leaving (and it's definitely 10-15% more than some of them) to give them more negotiating power.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 25, 2018, 11:32:22 AM
About £29k. That will go up slightly over the next few years (more so if I want to keep climbing the greasy government pole), but we keep toying with giving it all up and going abroad to do something else. Obvs I would be giving up a steady job though. Plus soon-to-be-wife is going freelance and there's a wedding to be paid for. Decisions, decisions.

Why are Brits so afraid of discussing money? Once, I was with a friend from uni got a job straight out of uni and a German acquaintance who was there baldly said: "Oh great, well done! How much does it pay?". The friend was dumbfounded and politely explained that you don't ask those sorts of things.

Although I was a bit taken back from the thread title, it seems pretty obvious that bosses generally prefer it if their employees keep schtum regarding salaries, otherwise they'll have to start answering some uncomfortable questions.

monkfromhavana

19k, but about to be bumped up to 23.5. My boss is leaving to go elsewhere, if I follow I could probably get 28. I seem to be able to save a small amount on 19k, mainly because I can never be arsed buying anything.

How much am I paid? Enough that I constantly feel like an imposter about to be found out.

Gulftastic

Not a lot. Since the DWP told me I was fit for work, I had to get a job. With a 13 year gap in my resume, I had to take what I could get, and it's call centre work, barely above minimum wage. Still, it's pretty good as call centre jobs go. No selling, and it's not constant call call call.

mothman

When I worked in NZ I was getting paid less than somebody who joined same time as me, but was ten years younger and with a lot less experience, because he was a native Kiwi and I wasn't. Ultimately they got rid of him and kept me, but didnt pay me more.

I think theres this fear that if your coworkers find out you get paid more, and they'll resent you for it, and ostracise you, or demand parity - which to achieve, rather than paying them more, the bosses will cut YOUR salary. Combined with the fear that you might be getting paid LESS than them, and want to remain in blissful ignorance...

I remember when I found out the administrator - in the IT dept. of the law firm I was working at - got a higher pay rise than me: it brought on a full-on nervous breakdown. I'd been having a crap time at work anyway, I'd had an appraisal where my immediate line manager told me that the extra work I did on (e.g.) the firm's website and intranet didn't count for anything because it wasn't in my job description. We were out at a corporate event at the time - dragon-boat racing at Canary Wharf! - and I just lost it. Went missing, my then-fiancee found me sitting in our car in the car-park, nearly catatonic. And that was over a difference of about £500 for somebody with many more years service, who did a different job than me, but was crap and didn't have half the IT skills I had.

kittens

1193 a month. half goes on rent & bills, the rest on cigs and energy drinks.

Icehaven

I earn exactly double what I earned when I started working 15 years ago, my monthly outgoings are less than what they were then (my rent is less as I houseshare and I no longer have £150 worth of loan repayments and overdraft fees to pay every month) yet I'm still broke by the end of each month. I rarely buy stuff, I just spend too much on food and drink and am just generally crap with money.

Thursday

Slightly above minimum wage, which when I started the job after struggling to get anything permanent for years, I was fine with, but my responsibilities went up without my pay going up over time. After next week I'm on holiday, and I'm anxious because I have to hand over some of my work to someone next week while I'm gone and I'm anxious because I'm horrendous at trying to explain and teach things to people.

Feel like it should be worth a bit more if it's something nobody else at the company really knows that well.

New Jack

I earn fucking nowt but I'm not in debt unless you count a crippling overdraft and student loan so I'm not sure where that places me in society

Twed

gilbertharding

How much money do I earn?

Probably a bit more than half of it, I'd say.

Paul Calf

New Jack

Get, that's one figure, quite high it is too.

Earn? Oh, don't make me laugh old boy!

-Oxbridge cunts, all of whom I've met have been vindictive, bitter pricks who can't function in England and seem to wrap themselves up in this vaguely homosexuality-based cloak of bitterness as if daring the world to judge, refusing to believe It's Alright. Fuck off, Steven, I'm sad too, keep my Tinder escapades to myself though

pancreas

Quote from: New Jack on November 25, 2018, 07:36:48 PM
-Oxbridge cunts, all of whom I've met have been vindictive, bitter pricks who can't function in England and seem to wrap themselves up in this vaguely homosexuality-based cloak of bitterness as if daring the world to judge. Fuck off, Steven, I'm sad too, keep my Tinder escapades to myself though

HELLO!

New Jack

Alright mate. Fancy a blim of hash?

pancreas

Sure. I find it rather rewarding to see how the other half live.

New Jack

I'm middle class fallen on hard times, so yeah. Come poverty diving with me!

pancreas

OK. I'll have to bring the wine, though. I mean ... there are limits.

Sebastian Cobb

🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️😂😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️
🅱️😂😂😂😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️😂😂️🅱️😂😂😂️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️😂😂😂🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂😂😂🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️😂😂😂🅱️😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🅱️🅱️
🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️

mrClaypole

I'm 41 and earn 21.5k a year. That's the most money I've ever been on.

Norton Canes

Nothing. I have negotiated with my workplace so that my contract is now effectively a complicated bartering certificate allowing me to exchange my services directly for goods.

Norton Canes

Sorry, that's the best I could do. Shit innit. Look, it's late, I'm knackered

Norton Canes

Something something tits and macaques something