Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:02:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post Beatles Beatles relationships

Started by biggytitbo, November 24, 2018, 10:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Lennon influences a lot of people who don't realize he is influencing them.

Norton Canes

Sorry, just visiting the thread for the first time to see how the FUCK there could be FIFTEEN FUCKING PAGES on 'Post Beatles Beatles relationships'.

Then I realised Beatles fans.

damn, these people talk about things they enjoy? what the fuck? who does that shit

Custard

Them silly Beatles fans. Liking Beatles. LOL GET A LIFE PEOPLE WHO LIKE THE BEATLES

Another very good interview with Lewisohn:

https://soundcloud.com/user-86154098/the-complete-libb-2018-mark-lewisohn-interview-now-in-true-stereo

He discusses (again) getting blamed for leaked sessions appearing on bootlegs in the 80s and the shit he got from George Harrison because a journalist lied about a visit he made to Abbey Road (from 1:19:00).

"George Harrison accused me of being a bootlegger to my face in front of a whole film crew, the bastard" (1:25:30).

Custard

As much as I'm enjoying Quantick's book, he has now done a big plop all over Helter Skelter

I have smashed up my house, and will be sending him the bill

biggytitbo

Rich Uncle Skeleton

They shall not grow old ..brown shoe

https://www.thebeatles.com/news/new-film-project-announcing-exciting-new-collaboration-between-beatles-and-acclaimed-academy

QuoteLondon – January 30, 2019 - Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Ltd. are proud to announce an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles and the acclaimed Academy Award winning director Sir Peter Jackson. The new film will be based around 55 hours of never-released footage of The Beatles in the studio, shot between January 2nd and January 31st, 1969.
[...]
Following the release of this new film, a restored version of the original Let It Be movie directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg will also be made available

Good news that the restored Let It Be will also get a reissue this year too, rather than this new film being made to replace it altogether. I've still never seen the Let It Be film so happy to wait a little longer and check both out.

SpiderChrist

Well now. This will be interesting. So much documentary evidence of how miserable the sessions were, and now it's going to be edited to show otherwise? Hmmm. Restored Let It Be movie though, yes please.

Wet Blanket

I watched Let it Be the other day after someone uploaded it to YouTube (and soon after removed it again). It's not very good actually, I can see why they've left it on the shelf all these years. The rooftop concert is great, but the rehearsal footage is pretty dreary and put together in a seemingly haphazard fashion. The most interesting/controversial parts, where George and Paul argue and where John looks bored while Paul drones on, have turned up as clips on various documentaries since. I dare say this new Peter Jackson thing will be far superior. (although I'm glad the original will get a re-release, as an interesting historical artefact)

SpiderChrist

Oh fuck yes. Watched it once, not gone back to watch it again. The most annoying part of the film (for me, anyway) is how random footage of the band rehearsing is paired with audio that bears fuck all relation to what you're seeing on screen.

The rooftop stuff is glorious though, I'll give you that. And yes I will buy it if it comes out on DVD. For I am a sad cunt.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 30, 2019, 01:35:50 PM
I watched Let it Be the other day after someone uploaded it to YouTube (and soon after removed it again). It's not very good actually, I can see why they've left it on the shelf all these years. The rooftop concert is great, but the rehearsal footage is pretty dreary and put together in a seemingly haphazard fashion. The most interesting/controversial parts, where George and Paul argue and where John looks bored while Paul drones on, have turned up as clips on various documentaries since. I dare say this new Peter Jackson thing will be far superior. (although I'm glad the original will get a re-release, as an interesting historical artefact)

anecdotally, it was deliberately cut to excise all of the stuff that showed the group in any sort of a negative light, or that they might be on the verge of self-destruction; one would hope that jackson isn't just going to repeat this exercise but with different bits, & rather that he shows whatever footage there is that supports the hours & hours of surviving audio.
posted this before in other threads, but it may've slipped your notice- this post especially, but many of the others in the blog:

http://amoralto.tumblr.com/post/68911122415/january-10th-1969-twickenham-film-studios

biggytitbo

Is he going to recreate any lost footage using cgi doubles of the boys?

Custard

I heard that they've CGI'ed Heather Mills' leg back on in the extras

Custard

Btw, the rooftop gig was 50 years ago today. Oof

Howj Begg

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on January 30, 2019, 12:12:22 PM

(* beatles fans- 'glass onion' is a television CRT)

Is this right? Can't find any confirmation online. This is a great help to understanding the song - it's then about their image on the box, looking back at Lennon.

biggytitbo

Yeah it makes sense in e and song but it's the first time I've ever heard the reference.

Glass onion reminds me, the way the beatles kept referencing themselves in songs, even songs only just released or recorded, is super weird when you think about it isn't it?

Howj Begg

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 30, 2019, 07:31:18 PM
We're finally gonna release the Beatles Masturbation Sessions says Paul

Carnival of Light??

studpuppet

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 30, 2019, 06:33:34 PM
I heard that they've CGI'ed Heather Mills' leg back on in the extras

The real one and the hologram one sing a duet together.

"You and I have (muscle) memories, longer than the road that stretches out ahead..."

It's authorized by Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia so it's going to be shit. Yoko's not going to let anything come out that makes her look nasty or up to the eyeballs in smack, which is all she was doing in January 1969.

the science eel

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 29, 2019, 01:05:05 PM
Lennon influences a lot of people who don't realize he is influencing them.

Aye.

Bowie more so.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 31, 2019, 12:40:46 AM
It's authorized by Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia so it's going to be shit. Yoko's not going to let anything come out that makes her look nasty or up to the eyeballs in smack, which is all she was doing in January 1969.

Yes from what Peter Jackson has said about changing the perception of those sessions, sounds like a whitewash in store.

famethrowa

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 31, 2019, 12:40:46 AM
It's authorized by Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia so it's going to be shit.

GEORGE: "I'll play, you know, whatever you want me to play, or I won't play at all if you don't want to me to play. Whatever it is that will please you... I'll do it!" *freeze frame, CGI raised thumb covers George's mouth* Harry Enfield Scouse voiceover: "because oye loove being in the Beatles and oye just wanna make your song good Paul"

biggytitbo

Maybe Jackson could somehow re-edit the footage to finally make the Beatles Lord of the Rings film?

Bad Ambassador

Lord of the Ringos was literally the first joke everyone made. Keep up.

How do they make the music less shit - phone in some of Let It Be Naked? But you can't make the covers and jams they did sound good.

I would just release the whole of the 'Rooftop' performance preceded by some rehearsals of those specific songs, plus the others that made the album but were unsuitable for the Rooftop. Nothing that didn't make the album is going to be anywhere near releasable, I'd have thought. There's a lot better White Album material still unreleased.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on January 31, 2019, 11:41:15 AM
Lord of the Ringos was literally the first joke everyone made. Keep up.

Its not the same joke. One is a pun on Ringos name, the other is a reference to the aborted version of Lord of the rings the Beatles apperently briefly considering making in the 60s.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 31, 2019, 11:47:26 AM
How do they make the music less shit - phone in some of Let It Be Naked? But you can't make the covers and jams they did sound good.

I would just release the whole of the 'Rooftop' performance preceded by some rehearsals of those specific songs, plus the others that made the album but were unsuitable for the Rooftop. Nothing that didn't make the album is going to be anywhere near releasable, I'd have thought. There's a lot better White Album material still unreleased.

The whole of the rooftop performance is them playing the same 3 or 4 songs multiple times isn't it?

SpiderChrist

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 31, 2019, 01:10:57 PM

The whole of the rooftop performance is them playing the same 3 or 4 songs multiple times isn't it?

Yes

01 - Get Back (Rehearsal)
02 - Get Back
03 - Don't Let Me Down
04 - I've Got A Feeling
05 - One After 909
06 - Dig A Pony
07 - I've Got A Feeling
08 - Don't Let Me Down
09 - Get Back