Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:35:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post Beatles Beatles relationships

Started by biggytitbo, November 24, 2018, 10:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wet Blanket

I'd be interested to see more footage from the street below the rooftop concert. I'd love to find out what it sounded like on the ground. There are a couple of vox pops in the Let it Be film where you can hear them in the background and they sounds pretty indistinct, but that could just be on account of the mics being used for the interview. (Presumably there are a few more of those too)

gilbertharding

I'd like to know some more about the context of the quote "I'd like to thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition" which might explain why it provoked such weary-sounding laughter.

Howj Begg

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 31, 2019, 02:53:48 PM
I'd like to know some more about the context of the quote "I'd like to thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition" which might explain why it provoked such weary-sounding laughter.

referencing the failed Decca audition, innit

gilbertharding

Did he say that after every time they played?

"Oh, ha ha, yes John very good."

Maybe he was also nervous beforehand and saw this as an audition of sorts, after so long off the road?

biggytitbo

I always read it as a kind of ironic valedictory. Yeah, we kind of did pass the audition in the end.

gilbertharding

I love the Beatles - always have - but that 'Just four lads...' stuff is awful.

studpuppet

kngen

Quote from: studpuppet on January 31, 2019, 05:06:14 PM
A comedian reads these boards...

https://twitter.com/GaryDelaney/status/1091018715091607552

'Gagster's Paradise' - eurgh. (and a cultural reference that is nearly a quarter of a century old ... good work!)

biggytitbo

I wonder if there's a case to be made with that jackson doc that the hundreds of hours of footage really do show a band just jamming and getting on together as normal and just a small % has them arguing, which cos its the Beatles is what people are interested in but otherwise isnt really representative of the sessions?

the science eel

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 02, 2019, 11:47:00 PM
I wonder if there's a case to be made with that jackson doc that the hundreds of hours of footage really do show a band just jamming and getting on together as normal and just a small % has them arguing, which cos its the Beatles is what people are interested in but otherwise isnt really representative of the sessions?

well, as I've mentioned, & as is pretty well documented elsewhere, what ended up on the silver-screen was a desperate bid to conceal their disintegration, the only nod to the actuality left in the cinema cut being george's "I'll play what you want me to play..." etcetera. none of the stuff with him absent is discussed, so the shots where he's missing from his usual spot in the studio look like he's just late or off having a slash or something. I have no idea how much of the non-playing activity was actually filmed, but there's hours & hours of audio which is reasonably easy to find. the link I posted further up is part of a huge blog with lots of the audio transcribed, & the true existential hell that they were in is all too evident. makes LIB look like a whitewash, which in many ways is what it was- they needed to sustain the myth of happy beatles to keep apple afloat & pay their taxes.

I can't imagine that jackson is going to do anything different, really.

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on January 30, 2019, 04:11:06 PM
anecdotally, it was deliberately cut to excise all of the stuff that showed the group in any sort of a negative light, or that they might be on the verge of self-destruction; one would hope that jackson isn't just going to repeat this exercise but with different bits, & rather that he shows whatever footage there is that supports the hours & hours of surviving audio.
posted this before in other threads, but it may've slipped your notice- this post especially, but many of the others in the blog:

http://amoralto.tumblr.com/post/68911122415/january-10th-1969-twickenham-film-studios

a duncandisorderly

here's a quick link to the top-level of y'r man's blog; each of these goes to a chunk of the audio from twickenham or savile row, with a partial transcription.

http://amoralto.tumblr.com/getback

Replies From View

Bit of a tangent, but I found this interesting.

Ever heard of Klaatu?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc0HoM_Kvmg

Quote from: SpiderChrist on January 31, 2019, 01:23:20 PM
Yes

01 - Get Back (Rehearsal)
02 - Get Back
03 - Don't Let Me Down
04 - I've Got A Feeling
05 - One After 909
06 - Dig A Pony
07 - I've Got A Feeling
08 - Don't Let Me Down
09 - Get Back

'Let It Be Naked' edits the performances together from Don't Let Me Down. The studio version was used in the original release (B-side of Get Back).

I hadn't noticed before that the whole album only uses stuff from the last week of the sessions (25-31 January) plus later clean-up sessions. Does this confirm that everything taped in the first three weeks was considered to be junk?

Nowhere Man

I know they had mostly adhered to the rule about B-Sides not being on the album, but it really does boggle the mind that they didn't put 'Don't Let Me Down' on Let It Be, especially considering besides 'Dig A Pony'*, the only major Lennon contributions were the previously released 'Across The Universe', and 'One After 909', an already decade old song by then! Plus the album was only 35 minutes long, A good 12 minutes shorter than Abbey Road anyway! Would it be fair to put the blame squarely on Spector?

*You can't really count 'Maggie Mae' and 'Dig It' as anything more than filler can you?

Custard

Too right. I'd have whacked Old Brown Shoe on there, too.

I'm just about holding back from even sticking on You Know My Name

PinkNoise

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 05, 2019, 08:06:02 AM
I hadn't noticed before that the whole album only uses stuff from the last week of the sessions (25-31 January) plus later clean-up sessions. Does this confirm that everything taped in the first three weeks was considered to be junk?

De-lurking for the first time in centuries to field this one.

The sessions at Twickenham between 2 and 14 January '69 were not recorded officially as they were rehearsals for the TV shows that were meant to take place beginning 18 January. Obviously, George's flounce on the 10th put an end to this.

The audio and chat was, however, recorded by Michael Lindsay-Hogg's film crew that were making a documentary to go alongside the TV show. So you'd see the "Beatles At Work" doc one night and then see the Fabs playing live at The Roundhouse (or wherever) the next night.

The bootlegs from this period (and when they later moved to Apple's basement studios) comprises the audio tracks from the hours of film footage that crew were shooting - you can hear sync marks and faceless sound blokes noting the roll and slate numbers as you go along.

It was only when the band moved to Saville Row on the 21st that George Martin and Glyn Johns rolled in the proper equipment from EMI and things started to be committed to tape. By this point, the plan was to make an album complete with a "making of" feature film.

The only bit of audio from the Twickenham reheatsals to make it onto the "Let It Be" album was Lennon saying, "Queen says no to pot-smoking FBI members".

As for the rooftop stuff that Wet Blanket mentions above, the answer to your prayers is the "Beatles A/B Road" series of boots, which were taken from the film footage audio (a quick Google will throw up more info).

I've not heard it in years, but it should include some of the vox pop material that one unit was catching in the street below (along with some boring conversations in the Apple reception).

The recordings show that the sound of The Beatles in full flight is fucking loud from street level, so it's no wonder that the rozzers got involved - particularly as Savile Row nick is at the end of the block.

Hope this helps, Fab Fans. PS George is gear.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: PinkNoise on February 05, 2019, 01:24:26 PM
As for the rooftop stuff that Wet Blanket mentions above, the answer to your prayers is the "Beatles A/B Road" series of boots, which were taken from the film footage audio (a quick Google will throw up more info).

I've not heard it in years, but it should include some of the vox pop material that one unit was catching in the street below (along with some boring conversations in the Apple reception).

The recordings show that the sound of The Beatles in full flight is fucking loud from street level, so it's no wonder that the rozzers got involved - particularly as Savile Row nick is at the end of the block.

Hope this helps, Fab Fans. PS George is gear.

I was sufficiently interested after reading a few of the 'a moral to this song' blogs (linked above) that I tracked down (no pun intended) a torrent of the ten-CD box of the MLH audio from twickenham.  but for most people, the blog (which is supported by clips of the audio, partially transcribed) is glimpse enough of the events of january 1969.

I couldn't see from the aerial phots that people were posting last week, what they were doing for the vocals on the rooftop. in this picture, you can see what appears to be a pair of 4x12 column speakers (fender?) leaning on the railing & facing downwards towards the street. no idea if the mics round the drums are for the PA or just the recording, but none of the backline is mic'd up. the various bits of fender amplification do go quite loud in their usual environs, though I've not heard a fender twin outdoors. they're usually rated at around 85W rms, but because they're valve amps, that means you get what it says... odd choice of mic- they appear to be AKG C451s with the long extension tube between the capsule & mic body, popular with tv studios but not so much live bands.

a duncandisorderly

found this. looks like fender gave them everything... there's a story elsewhere on the 'net about macca asking for a fender piano (they sent one for lennon too) & playing two or three chords on it, then saying 'that's not it'. he wanted a wurlitzer.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-beatles-era-fender-pa-amp-159313259

the fender solid-state mixer/amp is extreme bottom-right in this pic.

biggytitbo

Can't believe that camera man is having a nap during such a legendary gig.

This sounds like it'll be fun - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47160940

Quote"You wrote Something?" exclaims Jackson. "Ohhhh, I didn't know that. I thought Lennon and McCartney did that."

"Yeah," Harrison replies. "Everybody thinks that."

I can hear his voice saying that now.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 07, 2019, 07:41:54 PM
I can hear his voice saying that now.

I can hear Lennon and McCartney's voice saying it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I can understand Frank Sinatra not knowing that Harrison wrote Something - his favourite Lennon/McCartney song, famously - because he belonged to an older generation and didn't particularly care for the fab modern sounds, but you'd think Jacko, supposedly a big Beatles fan, would be aware of that. Then again, he wasn't exactly known for being in touch with reality.

Nowhere Man

Jacko aside, i'm consistently surprised at how many people supposedly find it hard to differentiate between John, Paul and George's vocals. Or they don't realise that unless it's a joint harmony vocal most Lennon/McCartney songs as a rule of thumb are mainly composed by whoever is doing the lead vocal on a particular song.

Yes, I have met people who thought Hey Jude was a John Lennon composition.

Some people are just thick and ordinary, that's the problem.

the science eel

I only found out it was Jack Bruce and not Eric Clapton singing on most Cream songs a couple of years ago!!!!!

famethrowa

The first Who album I ever had was The Who Sell Out, I was aware of who was in the group but had no idea who was singing what, it was just all these similar voices coming out. Daltrey doesn't sound like later Daltrey and just to confuse matters there's another fella singing on the first track as well.....

It's disgusting that the BBC were erasing tapes as important as that as late as 1979, by which date it should have been obvious that popular music was not just a passing fad. OTOH it shows how low The Beatles had sunk in the media's priorities until Lennon was killed (which perhaps also explains why they sent a hack like Andy Peebles to interview Lennon when they could have used Gambacinni, who would have been knowledgeable albeit sycophantic (and had already interviewed Macca for Rolling Stone).

Quote from: famethrowa on February 08, 2019, 12:42:56 AM
The first Who album I ever had was The Who Sell Out, I was aware of who was in the group but had no idea who was singing what, it was just all these similar voices coming out. Daltrey doesn't sound like later Daltrey and just to confuse matters there's another fella singing on the first track as well.....

Daltrey sings lead vocals on the first track. It's not written by Townshend or any other member of the band, though, so that does present some confusion.

Custard

Aye, it was gifted to the band by Pete's mate Speedy Keen, who also wrote Something In The Air