Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post Beatles Beatles relationships

Started by biggytitbo, November 24, 2018, 10:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneLa

They had nothing to reform for. Ever.

biggytitbo

I bet they would have done if they were all still alive though, but they fact that never happened is to their advantage. I mean John  had already done some real awful stuff in the 70s, but the opportunity to really embarrass himself in the 80s and 90s is obvious, so he avoided Paul's curse in that respect, as did the Beatles as a whole.

famethrowa

The Beatles reformed in 1995 and released a new single.

a duncandisorderly

it would have been apt, I think, if macca, george & ringo had got together with eric clapton.

daf

"The Boo Wheatles"

Macca : Bass
Ringo : Drums
Townshend : Guitar
Daltrey : Trout Farm Singing

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: daf on March 03, 2019, 04:13:35 PM
"The Boo Wheatles"

Macca : Bass
Ringo : Drums
Townshend : Guitar
Daltrey : Trout Farm Singing

just read PT's book, closely followed by daltrey's. the latter was much more fun, inevitably.

Menu

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 23, 2019, 04:41:58 PM
Another entry in that youtube documentary series about John and Paul - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-S3XahUAE&t=3329s

It's very good indeed.

These are absolutely cracking, Biggy! Thanks for highlighting them. The access they have to so much footage I've never seen - does that suggest an insider of sorts? Although the subtext that John was a bit gay for Paul is a weird narrative for someone at Apple to be pushing. Amazing historical record though. Cheers!

SteveDave

There's a good Dutch Beatles podcast called Fab4Cast that has a 2 parter with Mark Lewisohn out now.

Mark says that he's listened to all the A & B rolls from the Twickenham and Savile Row sessions and when the roof was suggested as a place to do the show, John and Ringo were all for it, George said he didn't want to but wanted to get it finished and Paul was dead against it. Which was interesting...

the science eel

Quote from: SteveDave on April 25, 2019, 10:10:08 AM
There's a good Dutch Beatles podcast called Fab4Cast that has a 2 parter with Mark Lewisohn out now.

Mark says that he's listened to all the A & B rolls from the Twickenham and Savile Row sessions and when the roof was suggested as a place to do the show, John and Ringo were all for it, George said he didn't want to but wanted to get it finished and Paul was dead against it. Which was interesting...

I wonder why...

because he wanted to bow out with a bigger concert, maybe?

SteveDave

Quote from: the science eel on April 25, 2019, 01:06:43 PM
I wonder why...

because he wanted to bow out with a bigger concert, maybe?

Scared of heights?

a duncandisorderly

SteveDave

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on April 28, 2019, 01:09:32 PM
well, he hadn't got any wings yet...

God that's good.

Here's a hypothetical...if Paul married Jane Asher instead of Linda Eastman, what would Wings have been like? Would they exist or would he have gone solo and stayed solo?

studpuppet

Quote from: SteveDave on April 30, 2019, 10:08:51 AM
God that's good.

Here's a hypothetical...if Paul married Jane Asher instead of Linda Eastman...

...there'd have been no split because Jane would have popped into the studio with some nice cakes to keep their sugar levels up on those long sessions.
John wouldn't have descended into heroin use, and Macca would have continued writing beautiful love songs that wouldn't get too schmaltzy because the others would rein him in.
John would have seen what living with a mumsy yet independent partner could be like, and go off and marry Delia Smith so their wives' careers could mirror the healthy competition of their own, culminating in Delia leaving the Rolling Stones in the lurch and designing the album sleeve for their 1969 album 'Get Bake'.

DrGreggles

Lennon dead in 1980 due to diabetes.

SteveDave

studpuppet

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 30, 2019, 11:24:40 AM
Lennon dead in 1980 due to diabetes.

Delia finally ends her period of mourning with 1986's 'One Is Fun' and then creates her signature 'Lennon Drizzle' cake in his memory, outselling Jane's 'Macca-roons' by ten to one. Meanwhile Barbara Bach carves out a market share in the reconstituted potato snack market, and Olivia's Hariss-on paste revolutionises Moroccan recipes.

DrGreggles

The Culture Bunker

I reckon if Lennon hadn't had that unfortunate meeting with Mark Chapman, they'd have resisted calls to reform for Live Aid, but we'd have probably got something at least slightly better than 'Free as a Bird' and 'Real Love' for the Anthology series. 

As I remember, what really got me interested in the Beatles was a very lengthy interview in Q with McCartney to promote 'Flaming Pie', by (I think) Andrew Collins, who also give a quick review to all the Beatles/Wings/Macca discography. I would have been 16 at the time and, sure, I knew the Beatles and a lot of their songs, but that was the point I felt inclined to take a real listen. Silly as it sounds, the Oasis factor probably put me off for a while. 

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 12, 2019, 02:30:14 PM
we'd have probably got something at least slightly better than 'Free as a Bird' and 'Real Love' for the Anthology series. 

Far better than the less than fab FAAB.

I think "Grow Old With Me" was the best Lennon song from those demos but was not Jeff Lynn friendly enough so got bypassed.

Lennon's future movements would have depended on Yoko. She would have kept him from any reunions. But post-Yoko, who knows?

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 12, 2019, 01:01:32 PM
I got that in the Trojan boxset.
Fortunately the rest of it is great.

You Won't See Me by Ernest Ranglin is sensational; proper jazz guitar expertly arranged by a master. Ranglin is probably second only to Don Drummond in pre-Bob Marley era Jamaican musical importance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCouVQ3BQpA

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 12, 2019, 10:36:58 PM
You Won't See Me by Ernest Ranglin is sensational; proper jazz guitar expertly arranged by a master. Ranglin is probably second only to Don Drummond in pre-Bob Marley era Jamaican musical importance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCouVQ3BQpA

There's a handful of decent tracks, to be fair, but the 3 discs represent some pretty thin gruel overall.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 12, 2019, 10:33:36 PM
Lennon's future movements would have depended on Yoko. She would have kept him from any reunions. But post-Yoko, who knows?

he still seems pretty independent here-

https://amoralto.tumblr.com/post/68911122415/january-10th-1969-twickenham-film-studios

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 12, 2019, 10:33:36 PMLennon's future movements would have depended on Yoko. She would have kept him from any reunions. But post-Yoko, who knows?
I think if he hadn't been shot, 'Double Fantasy' would never have sold anywhere near as well as it did, mainly because it wasn't very good. And I doubt Lennon would have been too happy with that, especially as at the same time, McCartney was enjoying being at the top of the hit parade. I reckon him and Yoko would have been divorced by the mid 80s, followed by Lennon finding his commercial mojo again.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 13, 2019, 10:11:59 AM
I think if he hadn't been shot, 'Double Fantasy' would never have sold anywhere near as well as it did, mainly because it wasn't very good. And I doubt Lennon would have been too happy with that, especially as at the same time, McCartney was enjoying being at the top of the hit parade. I reckon him and Yoko would have been divorced by the mid 80s, followed by Lennon finding his commercial mojo again.

yes. he'd probably have been a wilbury too, leading to speculation of a reunion.

Replies From View

I reckon Lennon would have teamed up with Neil Innes and pissed off Eric Idle quite spectacularly.

Lennon, like Harrison, was living in such a bubble that it's hard to know what he would have written about except his domestic life. I think he was burned out as a songwriter.

Would he have been a critic of Reagan and perhaps have protested the escalation of the Cold War? Maybe but he would just have been another celebrity biting the hand that fed him.

Live Aid - nah, he knew he'd be upstaged by bands who had more energy than him by that point.

Wilburys is a good call; something he would not have to take too seriously.

Beatles one-off concert - possible but surely a massive anti-climax.

Anthology - an embarrassing photo shoot; but I think he'd demand some proper remixes of Across The Universe etc not these cobbled together out-takes.

biggytitbo

If he'd have lived I reckon he would have been shot in 1981.