Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your moments of musical ignorance

Started by MoonDust, November 25, 2018, 09:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDust

Since finding out my mum is a Simon & Garfunkel fan and her discovering how to share music videos on YouTube, she has now said I should listen to John Denver. I said I had heard of him but not knowingly heard his songs.

When I listened to Country Roads I immediately recognised it but couldn't for the life of me remember where from, because the John Denver version sounded somewhat different to what my brain had playing.

Eventually I found it; I recognised it from the Toots and the Maytals version from when I was listening to them a few years ago, but I didn't know that was a cover until last night.

So I was ignorant of the fact that what is apparently John Denver's most famous song, I thought was an original song by Toots and the Maytals.

My mum was horrified when I told her.

I think we all have these moments because there is just so much music out there. For me personally, not hearing Durutti Column until I was 50, even though it is clearly the music that most closely matches my personality and moods, is just very odd. But we never had "If you liked this, you'll also like this" when I was a teenager.

New Jack

How the fuck did it take me 33 years to hear the first couple of Wire albums. What was I doing instead? Wasting my time following Arcade Fire around because my gorgeous fiancée loved them. Pah. Could have been listening to Chairs Missing

Hey, Punk!

Just found out today that Outkast were responsible for Hey Ya. I'm now trying to remove this fact from my brain, 5 cans in and it hasnae worked.

sevendaughters

until this week i didn't really know any Bjork albums since Post so i listened to them all and they mostly ripped my dumb heart out of my butt (in a good way). just seem to have gone through life without anyone letting me know this like pretty much my exact thing.

Ferris

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 25, 2018, 09:28:41 PM
until this week i didn't really know any Bjork albums since Post so i listened to them all and they mostly ripped my dumb heart out of my butt (in a good way). just seem to have gone through life without anyone letting me know this like pretty much my exact thing.

I set my record collection up with Debut is at the far end so I see Björk's mischievous little face every morning when I get up and walk past them into the kitchen. Mrs Ferris will never know!

New Jack

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on November 25, 2018, 09:22:39 PM
Just found out today that Outkast were responsible for Hey Ya. I'm now trying to remove this fact from my brain, 5 cans in and it hasnae worked.

??? You could do worse than embrace Outkast bigtime

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: New Jack on November 25, 2018, 09:45:28 PM
??? You could do worse than embrace Outkast bigtime

I love Outkast, but the repetition of that song made me hate it. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

New Jack

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on November 25, 2018, 09:52:35 PM
I love Outkast, but the repetition of that song made me hate it. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

Yeah I can see that. Think if you turn the corner you eventually see it as a compliment for the act you know lurve.

Mind you, I grew up listening to the Beatles in Merseyside, so

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Band I was in years ago decided to chuck a cover of Hey Ya! into our set at a little local festival, but turns out I wasn't going to be around for it, so I made a click track with my keyboard part on it and a few extra layers, cheating basically, extra acoustic guitar, shaker, that funny synth bass etc etc. That's all I put on it but fucking hell, I hated that song by the time I was finished.

Very glad I was nowhere near that gig as the song had driven me nuts and I think two members decided to show up drunk and/or high so dodged a fat bullet there.

Icehaven

My band decided to start covering Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin a year or so ago, and they nearly died when I had to admit I'd never heard it. I was surprised too actually, given how it's an apparently very famous song by one of the most famous bands ever but nope, it had completely passed me by.

It does happen a bit with them actually as they're all 15-20 years older than me so obviously grew up in a different music-listening generation, and the guitarist in particular is someone who does just sit and watch youtube for hours and hours and hours just letting it play related song after related song, so as such he hears massive amounts of often not particularly well-known music, then comes to practice and asks the rest of us if we've heard this great song or band, as if we should have done. It took me a while to realise it wasn't that shameful of me to have not heard of Jorn or Firehouse.

non capisco

Been watching the 1979 Top Of The Pops episodes that the BBC are streaming on archive.org and assumed the singer of the band Quantum Jump and their faintly racist and homophobic song 'The Lone Ranger' was 'Chart Music' hate figure B.A Robertson, who also had hits and TOTP studio performances that same year with 'Knocked It Off' and 'Bang Bang'. It isn't though, it's an entirely different horse faced curly haired pillock. I was looking at B.A Robertson's Wikipedia entry yesterday because that's the kind of searingly exciting thing I do at the weekend these days now I'm in my forties and was thinking "Ha! Not even his fans remember when he was calling himself Quantum Jump!" Quite clearly a different bloke, though. I'm not great with faces.

Above: Quantum Jump guy "Ahaha, imagine being gay or a Native American!"

Above: BA Robertson looking forward to doing his impression of Rod Hull in the chorus of his shite song 'Knocked It Off'

The Culture Bunker

On the subject of BA Robertson, I certainly wish I was completely ignorant of "The Living Years"...

Nowhere Man

buzby

Quote from: non capisco on November 26, 2018, 06:26:17 PM
Been watching the 1979 Top Of The Pops episodes that the BBC are streaming on archive.org and assumed the singer of the band Quantum Jump and their faintly racist and homophobic song 'The Lone Ranger' was 'Chart Music' hate figure B.A Robertson, who also had hits and TOTP studio performances that same year with 'Knocked It Off' and 'Bang Bang'. It isn't though, it's an entirely different horse faced curly haired pillock. I was looking at B.A Robertson's Wikipedia entry yesterday because that's the kind of searingly exciting thing I do at the weekend these days now I'm in my forties and was thinking "Ha! Not even his fans remember when he was calling himself Quantum Jump!" Quite clearly a different bloke, though. I'm not great with faces.

It's Rupert Hine, who founded the band with various session musicians including John G. Parry, who had been bassist with Caravan and Curved Air and guitarist Simon Jeffes of Penguin Cafe Orchestra. The Lone Ranger had originally been released in 1976 but didn't chart and that lineup of Quantum Leap disbanded with only founder member Rupert Hine continuing. The song was later used as the theme music for the second series of The Kenny Everett Video Show (replacing Noosha Fox's Electro People, recorded for Series 1) and the single was remixed and re-released to cash in. The  Lone Ranger-era lineup of Quantum Leap then reformed to record the video and promote the single.

Quantum Jump also featured the great Trevor Morais on drums, previously of The Peddlers and future drummer for Bjork and Underworld.

Oh, and as any Chart Music devotee knows, it's B. A. Cunterson

Icehaven

Quote from: non capisco on November 26, 2018, 06:26:17 PM

Above: BA Robertson looking forward to doing his impression of Rod Hull in the chorus of his shite song 'Knocked It Off'

To be fair they're not quite clearly different blokes at all, in fact I'm not sure they actually are different, are you sure it's not just the light and they are in fact one?

buzby

Quote from: icehaven on November 26, 2018, 09:01:29 PM
To be fair they're not quite clearly different blokes at all, in fact I'm not sure they actually are different, are you sure it's not just the light and they are in fact one?
To be fair, they do both seem to suffer from a bit of facial acromegaly with a long, thin face and over-developed lower jaw. Here's another photo of Rupert Hine where the likeness is less obvious:

non capisco

He does looks identical to B.A Robertson in the Top Of The Pops performance and to be fair "Maybe masked man is a poofter, try it on with surly Tonto" is the sort of drivel that was right in old Cunterson's '70s wheelhouse.

Some bang up to date musical criticism on everyone's favourite sexy with-it cutting edge sub forum from me here as usual. If you like the 70s and 80s so much, non capisco, why don't you go and live there?

Billy

Aged 14 I remember thinking Britney Spears's new song "I Love Rock & Roll" was the best thing she'd ever written, and I couldn't understand why everyone hated it.

At the same age I thought the backing track the Sugababes wrote for "Freak Like Me" was absolutely groundbreaking and modern and unlike any pop song ever made before.

MoonDust

Quote from: Billy on November 27, 2018, 01:55:56 AM

At the same age I thought the backing track the Sugababes wrote for "Freak Like Me" was absolutely groundbreaking and modern and unlike any pop song ever made before.

Took me a while to find out this was a Gary Newman sample as well. Still a great track. One of my musical "guilty pleasures".

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: MoonDust on November 27, 2018, 05:48:29 AM
Took me a while to find out this was a Gary Newman sample as well. Still a great track. One of my musical "guilty pleasures".

[cough]Gary Numan[/cough]

A fitting mistake, given the thread ;-)

buzby

Quote from: MoonDust on November 27, 2018, 05:48:29 AM
The bootleg 'We Don't Give A Damn About Our Friends' version with the original Adina Howard vocal that Richard put out under his Girls On Top alias and led to him being asked by Island to rerecord it with The Sugababes is still the best though.

Icehaven

Quote from: Billy on November 27, 2018, 01:55:56 AM
Aged 14 I remember thinking Britney Spears's new song "I Love Rock & Roll" was the best thing she'd ever written, and I couldn't understand why everyone hated it.

Don't feel too bad, every generation has their own version of this, mine was not understanding why everyone thought Vanilla Ice was so awful when he'd written such a killer bass line on ''Ice Ice Baby''.

MoonDust

Quote from: buzby on November 27, 2018, 08:04:13 AM
The bootleg 'We Don't Give A Damn About Our Friends' version with the original Adina Howard vocal that Richard put out under his Girls On Top alias and led to him being asked by Island to rerecord it with The Sugababes is still the best though.

Ooo that's good. Cheers!

My Sharona has a storming guitar finish which I had never heard until this week.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 29, 2018, 08:41:02 PM
My Sharona has a storming guitar finish which I had never heard until this week.

Mostly edited out of the single version, even though it's the best bit.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

For years, I had it in my head that Rhinestone Cowboy was by Elton John.

Psmith

Until today I've been unaware of Afrobeat and it's GREAT.Probably just listen to it forever.

Newen Afrobeat.
Opposite People
https://youtu.be/mFSRCG4DrmI

Only found out today that the melody of Happy Xmas (War Is Over) is nicked from Peter, Paul and Mary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdQB-mR4tg