Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:40:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Christmas Films - 2018 Edition

Started by BritishHobo, November 25, 2018, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on December 05, 2018, 07:43:44 AM
Die Hard 2: Die Harder was originally made as a Christmas film but - yes you guessed it - test audiences hated it so much that all the references to Christmas were excised by sundown that very day.  All the Christmas decorations etc were dumped onto the set of Home Alone 2, which was never planned as a Christmas film; John Hughes didn't have enough time to remove it, and the rest is history, as they say.

What? Die Hard 2 is set on Christmas Eve, he says 'merry christmas' when his car gets towed.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 05, 2018, 07:25:02 PM
What? Die Hard 2 is set on Christmas Eve, he says 'merry christmas' when his car gets towed.

They just couldn't remove that one bit from the film, unfortunately (they couldn't cut the scene entirely as it is crucial to the plot, and they tried to dub over the dialogue but somehow couldn't get all the original sound off).  The director is still to this day very cross about it.

bgmnts

As always:

Morning - Die Hard

Afternoon - Muppet Christmas Carol

Evening - It's a Wonderful Life

Cuntbeaks

Snowtown

Salo - 120 Days of Santa

Texas Chainsaw Nativity

wooders1978

Did Gremlins at the weekend

I want another one but can't be arsed with bad Santa or Elf and fuck off with die hard is a Christmas movie (no offence)

Might give that little russell one a bash

Quote from: DolphinFace on December 03, 2018, 07:55:35 PM
Has anyone watched a film on the dedicated Christmas film channel on Freeview? They're all unremittingly bad. Like a film churned out by a sixth former bad. Terrible camera work, rubbish acting and woeful storylines (like a businessman wanting to chop a nun's tree down).

I can take comfort in a Christmas film, even miracle on 34th Street or Mrs Claus but this channel offers nothing. Which is a shame.

My other half is addicted to it. The movies are awful. Rich, conceited fucks screw over other rich, conceited fucks and everything is resolved, usually via the presence of an elderly or a child or a dog or actual Santa, just in time for Christmas snogging.

I can get through them because the actors are fascinating. They've usually been cast because they have a passing resemblance to one or more more famous actors depending on the angle you view them from. Last weekend there was one on about a woman who wanted a specific tree she found in someone's front garden but the people wouldn't give her the tree because it was dead mum's tree but eventually everyone falls in love and they've pulled up dead mum's tree and sent it to fucking Boston or some shit.

Anyway, the important thing is that the woman looked like a hybrid of Reese Witherspoon, Julia Roberts and Blake Lively, whilst the main man one looked like David Boreanaz, Chris Jericho and Chris Evans. I think. Unless I'm confusing him with the one about the actor who moves in on some random woman's ranch over Christmas to learn how to ride a horse 'cos he's in a film about horses and knows so little about horses and is arrogant Hollywood man that he tries to feed one a cookie! I ask you!

Sebastian Cobb

Does it have Christmas Story on it? I want to ere the leg lamp.

As far as I could see, it was all wall-to-wall TV movies made in the last 15 years.

Gulftastic

Just done 'It's A Wonderful Life' for the first time in about a decade. Damn, it's good stuff. Jimmy Stewart is bloody terrific.

Spoon of Ploff

Gonna watch Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers in the Dr Who shaped hole during the Christmas day TV schedule and there's not a goddamn thing you can do about it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on December 06, 2018, 05:32:45 PM
Gonna watch Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers in the Dr Who shaped hole during the Christmas day TV schedule and there's not a goddamn thing you can do about it.

I might join you, I've watched Perfect Blue and Paprika and enjoyed both and keep meaning to check out the rest of his work. I'll even bring a half eaten tin of quality streets if that helps sweeten the deal.

the ouch cube

That Finnish one about the evil origins of Santa Claus

BritishHobo

I walked out of Nativity 4 because, to be fair, it had dialled things back a lot to more believable levels, and was doing something really lovely and great with a Syrian refugee character. I'm in agreement with Mark Kermode that it's hollow and pointless to be a grown man intentionally sneering at a kid's film that's just trying to do something nice. All the best to it.

Nativity 3 is still absolute toss though.

mothman

Quote from: the ouch cube on December 06, 2018, 06:49:24 PM
That Finnish one about the evil origins of Santa Claus

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale I think it was called. A good suggestion.

SteveDave

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 06, 2018, 07:27:10 PM
I walked out of Nativity 4 because, to be fair, it had dialled things back a lot to more believable levels, and was doing something really lovely and great with a Syrian refugee character. I'm in agreement with Mark Kermode that it's hollow and pointless to be a grown man intentionally sneering at a kid's film that's just trying to do something nice. All the best to it.

Nativity 3 is still absolute toss though.

Are you going to see the LIVE stage show starring Danny Dyer, Dani Dyer and Jo Brand?

Replies From View

Has anyone here ever tried the Home Alone sequels after the second one?  They exist in a strange reality.

Gulftastic

Weirdly, after my viewing of 'It's A Wonderful Life' yesterday, I noticed today that TCM are showing it in colourised form. I'll sitck to the B&W version, thanks.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Replies From View on December 07, 2018, 04:31:46 PM
Has anyone here ever tried the Home Alone sequels after the second one?  They exist in a strange reality.

Home Alone 3 was my first exposure to the franchise, when my brother got it on VHS for Christmas, so I'll always have a soft spot for it. Home Alone 4 is absolute gash though. After going completely standalone with the third film, they inexplicably return to the characters from the first two, but write and cast them as if they're completely different. Kevin bears no fucking resemblance to the Culkin character, and French Stewart's gurning performance as Daniel Stern is mad. It hurts my head to think that they're supposed to be the same characters.

McChesney Duntz

Isn't pretty much every Shane Black-scripted movie technically a Christmas film?

Eh?

Scrooged, of course - reeks a bit of compromise and Richard Donner isn't really the man for the job (though it looks tremendous - all those velvety blacks, that whole late-eighties New York vibe, and some pretty swell visual effects for '88), but man, I do adore it so. Neat little conversation about it here: https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/carol-kane-and-karen-allen-scrooged-interview.html

Sebastian Cobb

Scrooged is great. It's got him from the New York Dolls in, for a start.

bgmnts

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 06, 2018, 01:12:13 PM
Did Gremlins at the weekend

I want another one but can't be arsed with bad Santa or Elf and fuck off with die hard is a Christmas movie (no offence)

Might give that little russell one a bash

Explain.

Replies From View

I wonder if anyone in the world ranks 'Christmas with the Kranks' as their favourite ever film.

Jerzy Bondov

Haha. Christmas with the Kranks is incredible. Jamie Lee Curtis's performance is so weird it's like the character has truly severe learning difficulties, which makes Tim Allen's character (her husband) seem like he's taking advantage of her in a very despicable way.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 07, 2018, 10:57:37 PM
Kevin bears no fucking resemblance to the Culkin character, and French Stewart's gurning performance as Daniel Stern is mad. It hurts my head to think that they're supposed to be the same characters.

Equally baffling is the fact that French Stewart is supposed to be Marv but is dressed like Harry.

wooders1978

Quote from: bgmnts on December 08, 2018, 04:01:36 PM
Explain.
Though it is technically set at Christmas - it's only really mentioned at the start and to say there is a Christmassy feel to the movie is somewhat churlish

bgmnts

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 11, 2018, 02:35:46 PM
Though it is technically set at Christmas - it's only really mentioned at the start and to say there is a Christmassy feel to the movie is somewhat churlish

There are lots of Christmas references, it starts with a Christmas song and ends with a Christmas song.

There is more than enough there for me to consider it a Christmas film, albeit an action one.

Replies From View

How many elves are there in Die Hard please?