Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:14:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortal Engines ( New film adaptation )

Started by nedthemumbler, November 25, 2018, 05:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedthemumbler

Any interest in this at all from anyone?  Have dim memories of the books from two decades ago so will definitely try and catch it, just with low low expectations.  Just another mega budget PJ spectacle, visually impeccable but otherwise lacking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsFc2gguEg
"
Hundreds of years after civilization was destroyed by a cataclysmic event, a mysterious young woman, Hester Shaw (Hera Hilmar), emerges as the only one who can stop London — now a giant, predator city on wheels — from devouring everything in its path. Feral, and fiercely driven by the memory of her mother, Hester joins forces with Tom Natsworthy (Robert Sheehan), an outcast from London, along with Anna Fang (Jihae), a dangerous outlaw with a bounty on her head.

Mortal Engines is the startling, new epic adventure directed by Oscar®-winning visual-effects artist Christian Rivers (King Kong). Joining Rivers are The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogies three-time Academy Award®-winning filmmakers Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, who have penned the screenplay. Visual effects are created by a Weta Digital team led by Ken McGaugh, Kevin Smith, Luke Millar and Dennis Yoo. The Universal and MRC adaptation is from the award-winning book series by Philip Reeve, published in 2001 by Scholastic. "

Malcy

I saw the trailer and laughed thinking it was some sort of piss take. Especially when the big city on wheels came over a hill and some shouted 'Oh no, it's London'!! Then i saw Peter Jackson was involved so knew it was supposed to be serious. I think it looks pish.

Shit Good Nose

As a cross between all those shit young adult fantasies and Jackson's Middle Earth fetish, this will be shit for cunts.

Black Ship

As somkeone who loves both Reeve's books and Jackson's films, I for one am looking forward to this. 

surreal

Can't see this being a hit at all - haven't we gone way past being interested in teenage dystopian fantasy now?  Maybe 10 years ago when everyone was barking on about the Hunger Games but with few recognisable stars and just a weird concept I think this is going to crash and burn big time, unfortunately.  I had a lot of time for Peter Jackson after LotR but everything he's done since then has been poor in comparison IMHO - really didn't like King Kong or the Hobbit movies at all, not seen TinTin.

Mister Six

Tintin was Spielberg, wasn't it? Did Jackson do a Tintin thing too?

Anyway, this is only produced by him. It's directed by a bloke who worked in the art departments of Jackson's films and directed a horror short. So it could well be shit but I don't know if the Jackson connection indicates anything either way.

Bazooka

Quote from: Malcy on November 25, 2018, 07:02:26 PM
I saw the trailer and laughed thinking it was some sort of piss take. Especially when the big city on wheels came over a hill and some shouted 'Oh no, it's London'!! Then i saw Peter Jackson was involved so knew it was supposed to be serious. I think it looks pish.

I think 'Oh no, its Hull' would have been more chilling to hear, they could have all the film posters with HULL IS COMING.

Mister Six

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hull followed with him.

mothman

surreal

Quote from: Mister Six on November 26, 2018, 01:34:36 PM
Tintin was Spielberg, wasn't it? Did Jackson do a Tintin thing too?

Looked it up - Jackson produced it.  Clearly got a bit confused.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Bazooka on November 26, 2018, 10:23:32 PM
I think 'Oh no, its Hull' would have been more chilling to hear, they could have all the film posters with HULL IS COMING.

Hull on wheels.

greenman

Kong and the Hobbits were all a bit uneven I'd say but good in places, especially the former.

Maybe Costello could be brought in to do the theme for the sequel, Whats So Funny About Nice, Leeds and Under Stanton?

Chollis

Quote from: Black Ship on November 26, 2018, 02:53:22 AM
As somkeone who loves both Reeve's books and Jackson's films, I for one am looking forward to this.

Same. Loved the books as a kid so I'm up for this.

Mango Chimes

Looks bad. Sounds bad – "You sure you want to do this? Once we go in, there's no going back." We're not so different, you and I.

Eschewing teal and orange for green and red, though. A compelling new vision.

Dex Sawash

Nobody can do ludicrous bollocks like Luc Besson, they picked the wrong people here.

ZoyzaSorris

Original summary in the OP does sound a bit Partridge pitching young adult fantasy fiction.

'It's the far future. The peaceful island community of New Norwich is preparing for its annual harvest festival. But far away to the south a great city with legs full of bitter bastards is awakening from its slumber, and soon, a young, clinically fed-up Norfolk boy with a mysterious gift will be forced to confront his destiny.'

AsparagusTrevor

The names in these shite YA things always sound like rejected Chris Morris characters.

nedthemumbler

Just watched more publicity and it does actually look terrible, unfortunately.  Will watch when it's on itv3 forever.

Chollis

Yea, after watching a bit more promo I've dialled my expectations down to Rock Bottom. The only way is up, right?

Blumf

Just noticed, this came out on the 8th, and it's already gone (for comparison, that Harry Potter spin off sequel, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, came out on Nov 16th and is still going)

According to Wiki: Budget $100-150 million, box office $56 million

Ooof!

St_Eddie

Is there a fight between Scorpion and Sub-Zero in this?  Quite frankly, it's a deal breaker.

Malcy

Quote from: Blumf on December 29, 2018, 03:21:34 PM
Just noticed, this came out on the 8th, and it's already gone (for comparison, that Harry Potter spin off sequel, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, came out on Nov 16th and is still going)

According to Wiki: Budget $100-150 million, box office $56 million

Ooof!

Most of the trailers I seen had Peter Jackson talking about the film as well. As if to say we know this might be shit but I'm involved so go watch it.

Dex Sawash

The opening scene was tense,  one just does not know what to expect in a chase between a city and a small town. Not much fun.

Dex Sawash

Guy at work watching this on lunch break.

"no fucking way they could steer that whole town with that little steering wheel"