Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is the most British comedy ever made?

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, November 25, 2018, 10:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuteBanana

Americans don't get Bottom do they? I think I've watched the odd reaction video and it just seems to startle them.

Men Behaving Badly is a simple idea that should've easily translated but I don't think the US version had any success.

Jockice

The American version of The Inbetweeners flopped horribly, didn't it? Although I did watch a couple of episodes and didn't think it was quite as bad as it was made out to be. Just not very good though.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Last of the Summer Wine ran between 1973 and 2010 so surely that's the 'most' British comedy ever made

McChesney Duntz

It may just be the circles I run in, but Alan Partridge has a pretty huge cult following in the States from what I can see. (I would posit that his closest American equivalent is actually Hank Kingsley on The Larry Sanders Show.)

Bottom didn't take in the States, true (though it got a domestic DVD release, despite it never airing on US television from what I can see), but there are rabid Young Ones fanatics still running about (mostly due to its long run Sunday late nights on MTV in the eighties), for whatever that's worth. (They tried doing a US version of that, too, importing Planer and adding Chris Elliott and Jackie Earle Haley, which never got past pilot stage - apparently, it's wretched, but I'm deeply curious to see it.)

Natnar

Most of the stuff Victoria Wood wrote. I'd love to know what the Americans thought of her stuff.