Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:44:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Accessible and nice to read non fiction

Started by Emma Raducanu, November 25, 2018, 11:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

After 6 years of having no television, my partner has started watching absolute mind-rotting shit such as first dates. I've decided, whenever she watches something awful, I'm gonna take the opportunity to read.

Sadly, I say this as someone who rarely reads. I'm probably more into non fiction. I quite enjoyed reading Rick Stein's autobiography under a mackerel sky on the plane. I read Nigel Slater's toast recently but I'm well up for reading about any subject matter so long as it's accessible.

Any recommendations?

imitationleather

Sorry Monkeys

Bez's book is great.

If you're into chefs, I've read both of Ramsay's autobiographies. 'Playing with Fire' is the better one.

mothman

Freedom at Midnight by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre. It describes events around Indian independence and partition in 1947-48, beginning with the appointment of Lord Mountbatten of Burma as the last viceroy of British India, and ending with the death and funeral of Mahatma Gandhi. It's a great read.

hummingofevil

Danny Baker's book Going To Sea In A Sieve is very readable and very funny.

Disgusting Bliss: The Brass Eye of Chris Morris by Lucien Randall likewise.

Anything by Jon Robson but particularly Them as it's in shorter chapters.

Steve Martin's Born Standing Up is a biography of his stand up and is really interesting.

A really easy and good one is I Am Zlatan. It does a really good job of explaining his motivations and I finished it off in one sitting.

For something completely different The Diving Bell And The Butterfly is so beautiful but had me in floods of tears. Can't remember exactly which bit did me but it did me.

—-

If it's reading generally you find difficult, I am the same as struggle to concentrate and mind wanders but found specific things I really get into. Garth Ennis' comics (particularly his Punisher runs), Gogol short stories are two things that immediately come to mind. Do some digging about with the classics and you'll find them surprisingly accessible - Jekyll and Hyde is another.