Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:05:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Countdown to AreMaygeddon (the s.t.b. ex-PM thread)

Started by mothman, November 26, 2018, 09:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

So the Tories probably could force May out if they acted en masse, but short of her doing a deal with Labour, I can't see that unity happening.

A deal with Labour seems unlikely as the concessions she's offering aren't really concessions. Even if a deal is done it seems like it wouldn't pass without having a 2nd referendum vote bolted to it, but probably wouldn't then pass if it did.

We're also about to (if we haven't already) run out of time to have a 2nd referendum by Hallowe'en.

In short, the deadlock will continue and she won't get the slightest crumb of comfort at all.

If any history books are written in the future (not a certainty the way we're going) she will go down as the shittest possible PM we could ever have.

Fambo Number Mive

Non-binding no-confidence vote to be held on 15th June.

I know Cameron isn't PM any more, but I think he's almost as responsible for us being where we are as May is.

Alberon

Oh he's more responsible. May's been left holding a pair of trousers caked in shit, but Cameron is the person who deliberately curled out a big crap in them before rapidly fucking off.

Fambo Number Mive

Danny Dyer has been reminding the nation of this, but it is surprising how many people forget Cameron's role in all this. One of the worst prime ministers ever.

greenman

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 07, 2019, 11:26:10 AM
Danny Dyer has been reminding the nation of this, but it is surprising how many people forget Cameron's role in all this. One of the worst prime ministers ever.

I wouldn't say really individually awful, I suspect any number of other Tories would have done pretty much the same job, moreso that he represented an order that was desperately looking to cling to power post 2008 and in doing so generated Brexit in a similar fashion to Trump in the US.

May does seem to take things to a higher level though in just being a very bad leader, seems like she keeps her own little cabal of advisors who have little contact with reality. I suspect it probably makes it worse that these people are from or connected to a media class so deeply focused on "anyone but Corbyn", hence the monumental hubris of calling the 2017 GE.

BlodwynPig

Aside from her inept and criminal behaviour as PM, the optics [(C)Shoulders?-Stomach!] reel is sickening

mothman

Quote from: Alberon on May 07, 2019, 10:56:55 AM
If any history books are written in the future (not a certainty the way we're going) she will go down as the shittest possible PM we could ever have.

It's wonderful, isn't it? Well, not the possible doom, obviously, but realistically nothing is going to salvage her legacy. I think she knows it too. But given her whole social life revolves around her local constituency party, I suspect she thinks as long as they still love her for delivering Brexit, that's all that matters.

Buelligan

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 07, 2019, 11:26:10 AM

They're obviously going for a hat-trick.

Fambo Number Mive

Torygraph claims Tory MPs are giving May until 4pm today to set out how she will step down as PM.

Replies From View

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 08, 2019, 10:30:38 AM
Torygraph claims Tory MPs are giving May until 4pm today to set out how she will step down as PM.

"With strength and stability."

pancreas

What about attaching thousands of leeches to herself and bleeding to death?

Blumf

Not sure if the books written about May's tenure will be an interesting examination of a beleaguered leader and her continual firefighting efforts, or just a large tome exploring every possible way to say "buried her head in the sand".

Buelligan

Of course her replacement will be worse.

Imagine that, worse.

If I were running tory world, I'd impose Ruth Davidson on the lot of 'em, she's the only one, in my machiavellian mind, that could spill all their self-serving careerist vitals in the dust, remain popular and keep Scotland in the Union but I think they're all too focused on their own ascendancy to consider the future of the Party (which is a jolly good thing AFAIAC). 

Fuck them, let them burn their own home to the ground.

Replies From View

I reckon a new leader will be able to make them seem competent again which is all the Tory voters want.

Paul Calf

Yeah. Writing off the Tories at this point ignores the way that comfortable people yearn to allow themselves to be deceived that their comfort is ethical and safe.

And the attacks on Corbyn will not stop.

Buelligan

Still Farage is eating the tory vote at a pace, let him live a little longer please Lord.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 08, 2019, 10:30:38 AM

Hahaha.

"You've got until 4pm today to let us know how you're intending to leave."

"And if I don't?"

"Then we'll kick you out. In December. Maybe."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Buelligan on May 08, 2019, 11:01:53 AM
Still Farage is eating the tory vote at a pace, let him live a little longer please Lord.

Looking forward to reading how Tories polling 13% doesn't look good for Corbyn and its a bad result for both parties.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_European_Parliament_election_in_the_United_Kingdom

Will anyone point out how Tony Blair's Labour did in these elections?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_European_Parliament_election_in_the_United_Kingdom

Or Brown?

Jittlebags

Mumsie Leadsom considering putting her hat in the ring.

Blumf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 08, 2019, 11:11:49 AM
Looking forward to reading how Tories polling 13% doesn't look good for Corbyn and its a bad result for both parties.

"Shameless Corbyn takes advantage of poor Tory showing at ballot box!"

oooft

Quote from: Buelligan on May 08, 2019, 11:01:53 AM
He'll help you in the long run. Your family are addicts.

Buelligan

Ok.

And, your family, are, almost certainly, intellectual amoebae.

Your turn.

BTW, my family are dead if that helps.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Blumf on May 08, 2019, 11:25:09 AM
"Shameless Corbyn takes advantage of poor Tory showing at ballot box!"

I'd put money on The Telegraph actually running that.

oooft

Quote from: Buelligan on May 08, 2019, 11:41:02 AM
Ok.

And, your family, are, almost certainly, intellectual amoebae.

Your turn.

BTW, my family are dead if that helps.

I really didn't want to hear that..and if i'd known i wouldn't have mentioned it. For that, I apologize. sincerely

Buelligan

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on May 08, 2019, 10:53:31 AM
I reckon a new leader will be able to make them seem competent again which is all the Tory voters want.

That's the worry. The only thing worse than an incompetent Tory PM is a competent Tory PM.

oooft

Quote from: Buelligan on May 08, 2019, 11:55:31 AM
Don't worry, they can't hear you.
[/quote..
But you can.. and again..please accept my apology. if id known. i wouldn't have used such a crass analogy. 90+ per cent of the users in here are left wing. i'm not here to upset people. I think it's time i pissed off..you'll be glad to hear. you take care ok :)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: olliebean on May 08, 2019, 12:11:34 PM
That's the worry. The only thing worse than an incompetent Tory PM is a competent Tory PM.

Depends who they select, most would fall into the former category. Remember May was chosen because she'd be a safe bet, non-aligned sensible to the party demands, a hard worker and clear thinker.

Whatever happens will be guided in the short term by Brexit. It's going to be interesting seeing how any PM is going to get a Brexit deal past parliament even with the ERG onside, or if the PM will gamble on a No Deal and pretty much burn down the party's hopes of ever being elected in cities or by young people ever again.

Fambo Number Mive

I agree with Shoulders. I think there is such a gap between being a minister (which many of the contenders can't even do properly) and being PM. Cameron was able to blame a lot of things on the Lib Dems, otherwise would he have done as well?

In PMQs just now, Tory MP Andrea Jenkyns stood up and asked May to resign. May said it was not about her or Andrea Jenkyns, saying that if it had been about how May voted they'd have left by now. ]

May also regards the EU as the "opposition"

QuoteTheresa May at #PMQs compares Brexit with Liverpool FC v Barcelona
"When everyone say's it's all over, that your european opposition have got you beat, the clock is ticking.. you can still secure success if everyone pulls together"