Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:44:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Countdown to AreMaygeddon (the s.t.b. ex-PM thread)

Started by mothman, November 26, 2018, 09:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

It seems clear from May's comments today that she absolutely is not going to agree to leave without delivering Brexit, which should be a surprise to no one whatsoever.

I think the 1922 Committee is now at the point where they will change the leadership rules to remove her.

The Euro Elections are already lost so that won't stop them.

Fambo Number Mive

Will she be dragged from power like Thatcher? Or will she glue herself to the front bench like Extinction Rebellion?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Alberon on May 08, 2019, 01:47:50 PM
It seems clear from May's comments today that she absolutely is not going to agree to leave without delivering Brexit, which should be a surprise to no one whatsoever.

I think the 1922 Committee is now at the point where they will change the leadership rules to remove her.

The Euro Elections are already lost so that won't stop them.

Heheh

But then she won't give Labour what they want either. They are her last chance at a legacy. She needs to give them everything including a vote and some form of assurance her successor will honour the agreement.

She can't, Labour know this. Finally we are moving towards the end game.

In the end it will simply involve some sort of forcible (peaceful) removal from office. She doesn't want to be the PM that did FUCK ALL. I don't think she will ever resign until she has a deal.

Buelligan

Oh god, I hope she takes them all with her.

Desperate people sometimes do that kind of shit, you know.  I know it's wrong to think like this but these are testing times.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We can now understand why Cameron fled the scene after losing his own referendum. He could see the shit on the horizon. However it seems weird to think May has been through dozens humiliations worse than that yet is still here.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48199725

My above musings seem to be shared by whoever this is.

It reminds me that Labour could call another no confidence vote. It could be thrown in after the EU Elections. I imagine if May clings on after them you could find at least one Tory prepared to put their head above the parapet, surely?

If I was Labour I would throw it in, pile the pressure back on.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteDowning Street says the PM will not be setting out a timetable for her departure even if Brexit isn't delivered, despite 1922 Committee demands. Spokesman: "She is here to deliver Brexit in phase one and then she will make way for phase two."

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1126095936105611266

I presume phase one is getting a deal agreed.

Mister Six

Fambo Number Mive

Owen Patterson has written a Torygraph article calling for May to resign.

Evening Standard editor and former Chancellor George Osborne has also called for May to go: https://twitter.com/SkyNewsPolitics/status/1126138811451412480

Dr Rock

Quote from: Mister Six on May 09, 2019, 12:38:46 AM
Don't like the sound of this new Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Yea I'm now worried that if we get rid of May we'll just end up with a worse one from a different timeline.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 09, 2019, 08:58:28 AM
Yea I'm now worried that if we get rid of May we'll just end up with a worse one from a different timeline.

With a beard and things.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 09, 2019, 08:53:38 AM
Owen Patterson has written a Torygraph article calling for May to resign.

Evening Standard editor and former Chancellor George Osborne has also called for May to go: https://twitter.com/SkyNewsPolitics/status/1126138811451412480

Neither a surprise nor new, as far as I know. Osborne's wanted her gone since forever, Paterson voted against her in the no confidence vote.

ajsmith2

I think I speak for many of us when I say I do really appreciate May's peerless work in being a stubborn immovable blockage that frustrates any development in the Tory party. In that capacity, long 'May' she reign.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 09, 2019, 10:04:38 AM
I think I speak for many of us when I say I do really appreciate May peerless work in being a stubborn immovable blockage that frustrates any development in the Tory party. In that capacity, long 'May' she reign.

Certainly in the short to medium term she's ruining them, but I think the Tories then choosing a hard brexit leader who takes us out without a deal or a final say vote will damage them even further.

The % polling for the Brexit Party shows that a section of the public have literally lost their minds on this issue, so poisonous is this amplification of feeling and misdirected anger. The British press are answerable for their dreadful hateful rhetoric. But those hardcore are still a minority and shouldn't dominate what happens.

Replies From View

Reign is one letter away from resign; makes you think.

Dr Rock

MAY GONE

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/16/brexit-latest-news-theresa-may-set-showdown-meeting-senior-tories/
QuoteTearful Theresa May forced to agree to stand down: PM out by June 30 at the latest
----
Mrs May's future was decided during an hour-long meeting with the executive of the 1922 Committee, whose chairman, Sir Graham Brady, described "a very frank exchange" between the two sides.
Mrs May was said to have had tears in her eyes as her request for more time was turned down by the MPs, who told her the Party had finally run out of patience with her.

Even an android can cry.

Replies From View

Like Thatcher before her:  able to cry for herself when her own boat was called in.

Hold on, that was published four day ago. Has that June 30th deadline been discussed elsewhere? I swear I haven't seen it before.

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

DrGreggles

Johnny Yesno

Blinder Data

Her latest offer on the Withdrawal bill has pleased nobody

ConservativeHome is even advising not to vote Tory tomorrow unless she agrees to leave by the end of today

We are close to the end, friends

Alberon

It seems there's movement among the Cabinet to get rid of her. One source has been saying "Things could move fast now".

One Cabinet member has asked for an urgent meeting with the PM today. Others might follow.

BlodwynPig

Id rather hear about her demise on cab but sadly i have the scummy bbc app that will inform me immediately. No thrill.

Alberon

Dr Rock

Cuellar

Alberon

7.30pm - May will obstinately dig her heels in for at least a good hour before finally seeing sense.