Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Computer's disc drive not working (Windows 10)

Started by Clownbaby, November 26, 2018, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

My laptop is getting on and very slow, literally all I use it for is ripping CDs,  storing things on and iTunes because it's very slow and has only got slower since I got it upgraded to Windows 10 a year or so ago. It's a Dell Inspiron 15R in case that's helpful.

Now the disc drive won't function at all and I definitely didn't do shit so my computer has made itself useless. For a while when I would put a CD in it would start spinning, open on iTunes (would you like to import CD etc.) but before I could do that it would come up with "please insert a disc into drive (E:)" then automatically pop the disc out so I couldn't do anything with it. I searched for solutions and tried changing the driver letter from (E:) to another letter as someone suggested but it just comes up with a message saying "the parameter is incorrect".

I also tried checking for driver updates, like someone else suggested, but it says there are no new updates needed. It's a pain in the arse. Now, "please insert a disc into drive (E:) doesn't even come up when I insert a disc. Now when I insert a disc it doesn't show on iTunes, iTunes doesn't even register it, there is no message, the disc just stops spinning and nothing happens. Anyone else had this problem?

Could it be wear and tear, perhaps an issue with the laser? I had a similar issue with an old pc when I rip my cd collection. I ended up get an external usb Cd Drive.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on November 26, 2018, 03:10:41 PM
Could it be wear and tear, perhaps an issue with the laser? I had a similar issue with an old pc when I rip my cd collection. I ended up get an external usb Cd Drive.

I never thought of that. Is there any visible signs of a broken laser that I could check for before buying a USB disc drive?

Wilbur

Not really. Just bite the bullet and get an external drive. Internal drives are pretty much obsolete now anyway.

Glebe

Clownbaby

Quote from: Wilbur on November 26, 2018, 03:18:20 PM
Not really. Just bite the bullet and get an external drive. Internal drives are pretty much obsolete now anyway.

Just had a look and they're pretty cheap so I might just do this then.

BlodwynPig

Yeah, sounds like a knackered CD drive. There's so many moving parts that something's bound to go eventually and the slim drives in laptops are even more brittle.

Clownbaby

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 26, 2018, 03:21:11 PM
Ripping CDs? In 2018?

Yes, I knew someone would say this. I don't have wifi of my own at home because we're very poor, hence the shit old laptop still being in use. I mooch wifi off the doctors next door. I have a massive CD collection and there has been no problem ever ripping CDs in the past so I just do that because why stream and download music I already have, with my shit slow temperamental NHS wifi. There's also an awful lot of CDs I have which are hard to find digitally online

hedgehog90

Is there any sign of life in it still? After inserting a disc can it not even be arsed to spin for like 10-20 seconds?
Before it stopped working outright, you said it was detecting the disc but then saying 'please insert a disc into drive'. This sounds like maybe the tray isn't detecting that it's shut properly, you could try applying pressure to the tray door to see if that helps.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 26, 2018, 03:21:11 PM
Ripping CDs? In 2018?

To be fair I only got round to doing this a few years ago. Mostly while pretending to work from home.

Twed

Would a USB CD drive be an acceptable fix for you clownbaby? Looks like it'll cost you around 15 quid:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/262-0624304-7575711?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+cd+drive

Edit: Oh I really should have read the thread

momatt

I rip CDs all the time.
Should I just throw them all in the bin?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 26, 2018, 03:02:53 PM
My laptop is getting on and very slow, literally all I use it for is ripping CDs

How old is the drive & do you rip a lot of cd's?  If it's more than about 5 years old and you've ripped a lot of cd's then it's probably worn out.