Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seems Like 50 is the Age of the Best Comedians

Started by MortSahlFan, November 26, 2018, 04:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Of course, I think Mort Sahl (even at 91) is head and shoulders above everyone, but everyone else, the good ones that is, seem to be about 50, plus or minus a few -- Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle, Doug Stanhope, Louis C.K., Dov Davidoff, Jimmy Dore... Even Hedberg would have been around 50.... Even my #2 all-time (Bill Hicks) would still be in his 50s.

darby o chill

Odd thread Mort fan.
Richard Pryor would be 78. IT MAKES NO SENSE.
Mitch was at his peak at what? Late 20's - mid 30's?
As much as I love him, he may well have turned to shit had he stayed around till today.
Off topic but I'm looking forward to his ex releasing all his audio visual material sometime soon.

up_the_hampipe

I think he means that generation, not 50 being the age where everyone becomes great.

darby o chill

Sure, but that still makes little sense to me. Maybe I'm too high for this.
or not high enough

MortSahlFan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 27, 2018, 12:22:23 AM
I think he means that generation, not 50 being the age where everyone becomes great.
Correct, up_the_hampipe - Mode... If you were to take all the working comedians, most of them are around 50.

lol @ darby not sure if he's high enough :)

PlanktonSideburns

I wonder how old the OP (original poster) is?

Also surely most comedians are 30 and called Russel now?

MortSahlFan

BEST comedians... If you don't know what the word "mode" is (think back to grade school - mean, median, mode) then ask for your phone for help.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It was the '90s. Comedy was the new rock and roll and all that.

jobotic

But Bill Hicks isn't in his fifties on account of being dead, and was nowhere near fifty when making his comedy, so how does he help you?

Jim Hendrix would be 76 today if he was alive so I reckon 76 year olds make the best guitarists.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Small Man Big Horse

Can't say it works for me going by the following list of my favourite comedians and their ages.

Joseph Morpurgo - Can't find out, but he must still be in his 30s.
Maria Bamford - 48
Nathan Fielder - 35
Natalie Paladimes - 28
Daniel Kitson - 41
Stewart Lee - 50
Bridget Christie - 47
Michael Brunstrom - Not sure, but I'm guessing early 40s at the very most.
Rachel Bloom - 31
Andy Daly - 47
Paul F. Tompkins - 50
Doctor Brown - Not sure, but I'd guess he's in his 40s.
Danielle Ward - 40
Sarah Silverman - 47
Dan Harmon - 45
Tony Law - 49

up_the_hampipe

The best ones on that list are around that age group, to be fair.

But, yes, using age/generation to measure the good from the bad is going to be very flawed. I mean we can start by mentioning that the two comics largely considered to be the best ever, Pryor and Carlin, came long before that generation.

lankyguy95

All the best comedians came in the last hundred years. Alas, also did all the worst.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 27, 2018, 05:39:45 PM
The best ones on that list are around that age group, to be fair.

A lot do, but Morpurgo and Fielder are my two favourites out of the list and both are in their thirties.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

If Laurel and Hardy were alive today, they'd have a combined age of 254. Makes you think.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 27, 2018, 09:32:13 AM
I wonder how old the OP (original poster) is?

Also surely most comedians are 30 and called Russel now?
I'm 36.
OK, forget Bill Hicks. Bill Burr is 50. Doug Stanhope is 51. Louis C.K. is 51. Dave Chappelle isn't far from 50. Chris Rock and Jimmy Dore are in his early 50s... I can't find Dov Davidoff's age, but I'm guessing it's close.

Skip Bittman

Worth clicking on this thread just for the idea of Jimmy Dore being classified as one of the "Best Comedians"

Cuellar

chveik

Quote from: MortSahlFan on November 27, 2018, 08:03:49 PM
I'm 36.
OK, forget Bill Hicks. Bill Burr is 50. Doug Stanhope is 51. Louis C.K. is 51. Dave Chappelle isn't far from 50. Chris Rock and Jimmy Dore are in his early 50s... I can't find Dov Davidoff's age, but I'm guessing it's close.

they're not the best comedians by any stretch of the imagination

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Skip Bittman on November 28, 2018, 05:39:24 PM
Worth clicking on this thread just for the idea of Jimmy Dore being classified as one of the "Best Comedians"

I wasn't aware of him before but have just checked out a couple of his videos, and christ, he's awful, I'm amazed anyone thinks he's any good. I noticed there weren't any women in Mort's list too which is a bit bleak.