Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:06:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inappropriate behaviour at gigs

Started by drummersaredeaf, November 26, 2018, 06:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've seen some rum stuff this weekend, but where is the line?

Talking all the way through is trash, obviously. Pushing people in an agro way in a sedate crowd = cunt move.

What about singing too loud? Pushing through the crowd to go the bar every 15 minutes and expecting to get back to the same spot?

The reason I feel this warrants discussion is that I was right near the front to see Mogwai the other night and could hear a pair kissing through most of a song. They were pissed obviously, but spent much of the show shouting bits at each other, and were guilty of going to the bar maybe 3-4 times. The bit where they were getting off with each other in quite a heavy way was a bit too rich for my blood though.

Another major bugbear is people singing guitar/synth lines which seemed to become a thing about 15 years back.

the

I simply avoid the list of things people are about to say by gaffer taping myself to the ceiling of the gig

Golden E. Pump

Last time I went to a gig someone only gave me two warnings before taking my phone out of my hand and throwing it.

buzby

Being a shortarse, it doesn't matter where I stand to get a decent view of the stage as you can guarantee within 5 minutes some inconsiderate tall badtard and his mate will come and stand in front of me

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on November 26, 2018, 07:13:12 PM
Last time I went to a gig someone only gave me two warnings before taking my phone out of my hand and throwing it.

Oh shit. I forgot about this mini drama.

Endicott

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 26, 2018, 06:51:00 PM
The reason I feel this warrants discussion is that I was right near the front to see Mogwai the other night and could hear a pair kissing through most of a song. They were pissed obviously, but spent much of the show shouting bits at each other, and were guilty of going to the bar maybe 3-4 times. The bit where they were getting off with each other in quite a heavy way was a bit too rich for my blood though.

I remember an old pal of mine telling me a story from about 1980 about being at a gig and feeling someone's hand on his shoulder. He turned round and found a girl using him for balance while a lad shagged her from behind.

Norton Canes

jobotic

I went to the Marshmallow Coast (Elephant 6 types) in some hipster joint in East London years ago and some little student cunt lifted the wallet out of my back pocket to impress his elfin girlfriend.

I'm pleased to say that when I turned round angrily I did say "mate" and he apologised an gave it back sheepishly. I hope Tamsina dumped him later that night.

PaulTMA

I saw an eccied guy dry-humping his pal in time to the crescendo of Super Furry Animals' 'Mountain People' at the Barrowlands 19 years ago.  Perfect song choice, really.

holyzombiejesus

I felt a girl's tits (she let me) at a New Order gig once.

jobotic

I called Delia Smith a cunt at the John Peel tribute night shortly after his death. It was supposed to be football bantz and I'm deeply ashamed. I thought of writing to her to apologise but left it too long.

BlodwynPig

'Freebird'...thankfully too old hat even for the most dumbass concert goer. . Heard during a quiet section of Saturday night's Steven Wilson concert.

Steven: "I've never heard of Hamilton, but I guess you Canadian's have never heard of the place I come from!"

Me: "Hemel Hempstead, mate, just off the M1"

Steven: "Freebird!"

Billy

I remember being really confused/irritated at the V Festival a few years back where everyone just kept loudly chanting the guitar riff from "Seven Nation Army" every five minutes, in between every act, despite the White Stripes not playing that day, or that weekend, or indeed that entire year as they'd long split up by then.

MoonDust

I was surprised to see a violent mosh pit break out at the one and only Fall gig I've been to. Are mosh pits normal at Fall gigs? Doesn't really strike me as the kind of music for a mosh pit.

Do the kids these days just make a mosh pit at any only gig now? Adele mosh pit? Jamie Cullum mosh pit?

Crabwalk

I went to a Stone Roses gig. The crowd were in good voice but Ian Brown started singing along.

skif45

Quote from: MoonDust on November 27, 2018, 05:53:56 AM
I was surprised to see a violent mosh pit break out at the one and only Fall gig I've been to. Are mosh pits normal at Fall gigs? Doesn't really strike me as the kind of music for a mosh pit.

Saw The Fall many times in London, and in the last 10/15 years, the pattern was usually - gigs on Monday-Wednesday - sedate crowd; Thursday - Sunday - quite hectic moshing. I certainly would get amongst it when there was - the krautabilly business of the last few years - Reformation, Auto-Chip etc certainly lent themselves to a bit of bouncing around. Stewart Lee would often be found piling in as well.

About ten years ago, you could usually guarantee some fellas squaring up for a fight while waiting for them to come on as well. For clarity, S. Lee not observed in this context.

I remember Peel referring to Fall gigs 'crackling with malevolence' and some of those weekend gigs certainly did, at least down the front. None more intensely than at the 'last night at the Hammersmith Palais' - mainly due to them having support from both Ted Chippington and a seemingly endless VJ set to wind everyone up. 

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 26, 2018, 10:15:12 PM
I felt a girl's tits (she let me) at a New Order gig once.

Katy Perry considers rewrite.

Yeah, that's good quality.

I raised this in the gig cliché thing, but tiny girls who squeeze through in front of you into a gap they themselves can barely fit into before beckoning over 5 mates, at least one of whom is guaranteed to be a 7ft brick shithouse, can get to absolute fuck.

I'm pretty sure at Mogwai that someone was singing the bass line to Helicon 1 about two octaves up. I have no idea why people sing along to instrumental passages and it fucks me right off. I might start beat boxing at gigs next. Any instrument is fair game.

Cuntbeaks

At a Rephresh night many years ago, the crowd were screaming/trumpeting along to Aphex Twin's 'Elephant Song'

https://youtu.be/berG8toPam8

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 27, 2018, 11:25:32 AM
Yeah, that's good quality.

I raised this in the gig cliché thing, but tiny girls who squeeze through in front of you into a gap they themselves can barely fit into before beckoning over 5 mates, at least one of whom is guaranteed to be a 7ft brick shithouse, can get to absolute fuck.
Dont move, be obstructive, tell them to fuck off. It's every man for himself in these situations.

boki

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 26, 2018, 06:51:00 PMAnother major bugbear is people singing guitar/synth lines which seemed to become a thing about 15 years back.

This should totally be permitted in that bit of Kvelertak's 'Blodtørst', mind.

Icehaven

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 27, 2018, 11:51:25 AM
I have no idea why people sing along to instrumental passages and it fucks me right off.

It's to impress everyone around them, to let them know that they know the music well so they'll obviously think ''Wow, they really know this band and their music, they must like them more than everyone who isn't singing and must therefore be a really cool, cultured, knowledgeable and generally brilliant person I will admire from this distance for the rest of the gig (and wish to sleep with them if I am the correct gender and appropriately attractive.''

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 27, 2018, 11:51:25 AM
I have no idea why people sing along to instrumental passages and it fucks me right off.

Happens a lot at Orbital gigs

Sin Agog

One time these hairy, unkempt hippies swanned onstage and started making a godawful racket while I was trying to have a civil conversation with some acquaintances.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on November 27, 2018, 01:37:12 PM
It's to impress everyone around them, to let them know that they know the music well so they'll obviously think ''Wow, they really know this band and their music, they must like them more than everyone who isn't singing and must therefore be a really cool, cultured, knowledgeable and generally brilliant person I will admire from this distance for the rest of the gig (and wish to sleep with them if I am the correct gender and appropriately attractive.''

The jazz version of this is nodding intently (must be wearing daft hat) and applauding in the middle of a song. It's miles worse I reckon.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 27, 2018, 02:23:38 PM
The jazz version of this is nodding intently (must be wearing daft hat) and applauding in the middle of a song. It's miles worse I reckon.

Surely that's Doo Bop.