Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:45:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inappropriate behaviour at gigs

Started by drummersaredeaf, November 26, 2018, 06:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronalado

Is often happen at manchester club. on FUTBOLfield but also at bar i cannot talk about. even on AEROpalne is possible. RONALAO hear noises first

neveragain

This probably doesn't quite count but I was at a gig at an arthouse cinema-type space, the type that puts bands on in rooms that won't fit them, and when I went into the bogs and up to the urinals an old man (who apparently worked there) burst in with a group of teenage volunteers he was taking on a tour of the building.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 27, 2018, 11:51:25 AM
I'm pretty sure at Mogwai that someone was singing the bass line to Helicon 1 about two octaves up. I have no idea why people sing along to instrumental passages and it fucks me right off. I might start beat boxing at gigs next. Any instrument is fair game.

Speaking of singing along in weird ways, there's a video somewhere of Ween doing "Birthday Boy" and there's a guy in the crowd next to the person filming who's singing his own second part harmony alongside it. It's fucking bizarre. There's no goddamn harmony in the original song or anything. If that's not the most blatant case of "ooh get me, I know the song better than everyone else", I don't know what is. This cunt's even unlocked the SECRET HARMONY.

Captain Crunch

sardines

So here is something new after many years of gig going.

Some twat in my eyeline spent the whole show chewing gum. He was giving it the whole Alex Ferguson. Combined with some chewing gum while checking Facebook and occasional chewing gum in time to the beat. It made me fucking furious.

Hat FM

Oh god. last time i went to see the streets it was ruined by people singing the instrumental bits. 'Turn the page' was completely ruined by twats surrounding me chanting " dur dut dut dut dut dut dut dur dur".

dr beat

Was it actually Alex Ferguson? I'd find that incredibly off-putring at a gig.

Sebastian Cobb

You lot would've hated dnb nights when jump up was on the go. You'd often find some wide-o mc'ing into their mates ear.

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 27, 2018, 11:51:25 AM
I'm pretty sure at Mogwai that someone was singing the bass line to Helicon 1 about two octaves up. I have no idea why people sing along to instrumental passages and it fucks me right off. I might start beat boxing at gigs next. Any instrument is fair game.

Do you think people do that to Blue Monday at contemporary New Order gigs? I can easily picture a crowd of nuisances going "DUH! DUH! DUH! DUH! DUH! DUH! DUHDUHDUHDUHDUHDUHDUHDUH!"

manticore

My sister's group were supporting Orange Juice in Sheffield and they were supposed to put me and my two companions on the guest list, but the man said our name weren't there so we all had to pay, which was embarassing and annoying. So when we entered the hall and my sister's group were doing their soundcheck and I shouted at them from the back of the hall 'why didn't you put us on the guest list?', to which my sister said back something like 'I don't know' in a flummoxed  'what the hell are you doing' sort of way.

I mean about 150 people all turning round to stare at this lunatic shouting at the stage and me embarassing myself and my sister and my friends.  I was a shy young man, I'll never understand what impulse overtook me, I do not do that kind of thing. Suddenly crucified, we've never talked about it since. I did not enjoy the concert (turned out we were on her group's guest list, and the bloke had looked at Orange Juice's).

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: neveragain on November 27, 2018, 03:29:59 PM
This probably doesn't quite count but I was at a gig at an arthouse cinema-type space, the type that puts bands on in rooms that won't fit them, and when I went into the bogs and up to the urinals an old man (who apparently worked there) burst in with a group of teenage volunteers he was taking on a tour of the building.

Can't have a tour of  the building without seeing the famous art deco toilets

flotemysost

Quote from: manticore on December 28, 2018, 03:24:19 AM
My sister's group were supporting Orange Juice in Sheffield and they were supposed to put me and my two companions on the guest list, but the man said our name weren't there so we all had to pay, which was embarassing and annoying. So when we entered the hall and my sister's group were doing their soundcheck and I shouted at them from the back of the hall 'why didn't you put us on the guest list?', to which my sister said back something like 'I don't know' in a flummoxed  'what the hell are you doing' sort of way.

I mean about 150 people all turning round to stare at this lunatic shouting at the stage and me embarassing myself and my sister and my friends.  I was a shy young man, I'll never understand what impulse overtook me, I do not do that kind of thing. Suddenly crucified, we've never talked about it since. I did not enjoy the concert (turned out we were on her group's guest list, and the bloke had looked at Orange Juice's).

Haha, that's great. It reminds me a bit of when my brother's band announced they were headlining a large-ish London venue- I booked tickets straight away in a show of sisterly support, only to find out on the day that various other family members and friends had subsequently been put on the guest list and would be sitting upstairs in the boxes.

I thought it was worth a shot trying to join them anyway, so once I was in I tried to explain this by bellowing over the music to a sullen security guy guarding the entrance to the upstairs bit - he couldn't hear me and kept saying, 'What? Your mum's in the band?' (there were no women in the band), to the confusion and, understandably, annoyance of various other people nearby. I ended up sulking downstairs on my own until the gig was over.

Pepotamo1985

I went to a gig at the 100 Club t'other day which was like a situationist art piece satirising every extreme example of grotesque gig cuntery imaginable. Was probably asking for it attending a show headlined by Insecure Men, an offshoot of Fat White Family - every nihilistic trustifarian East London hipster's fave 'edgy' band, but anyway. I'm talking endless screaming and shouting of song requests between every song (including if not particularly tunes that just wouldn't have fit the vibe/context at all), which eventually resulted in the obviously exasperated lead singer shouting "SHUT UP". I'm talking endless fucking couples doing back to front embraces and taking up way too much room in the process - and getting pissy if anyone came too near them. I'm talking small groups of fans aggressively barging to the front and breaking up existing friend groups in the space without remorse, then doing their apparent damnedest to ensure any disrupted collectives couldn't coalesce anew elsewhere. I'm talking people repeatedly treading on my feet and not only not apologising, but suggesting I simply stand somewhere else in the rare event they even acknowledged they might've done something untoward. It was a fucking nightmare.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

After spending 25 minutes stuck behind tall people I went for a pee, and returned to stand somewhere new.

Someone behind me immediately passive-aggressively shouted: Hello new tall person

No offense but I can't/don't want to crouch just for you and I'd done a fair shift stuck behind the skulls of some genuine giants. Just lean left and right a bit - or even look at the fucking big screens they have in that arena. Sorry you're short but you must have got this A LOT at every gig.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm 6'3 and still have people blocking my view. It's what happens.

Captain Crunch

I was out a couple of weeks before Christmas and saw the shittest thing I've seen for a long time.  The venue was just a glorified pub so all the bands, merch, gear, everything was all in the same space.  They had the merch table set up to the side with most of the gear behind it and everyone was being very nice and festive, parents were there and it was all going well.  BUT the drummer from the last band had this little practice device, like a cross between an old electric drum head and a cushion for piles.  He sat there with it on the merch table and banged it continually throughout all the other sets.  Not only did it make a massive racket but he was obviously a. not very good and b. one of those tedious little shits who got into music after listening to Torche and try to make everything sound all glitchy and jarring.  Wanky behaviour from punters is one thing but I don't think I've ever seen a 'fellow' bandmate be so wilfully and disrespectfully disruptive in a long time.  Hopefully he'll get a kicking at some point. 

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 27, 2018, 06:03:59 PM
Speaking of singing along in weird ways, there's a video somewhere of Ween doing "Birthday Boy" and there's a guy in the crowd next to the person filming who's singing his own second part harmony alongside it. It's fucking bizarre. There's no goddamn harmony in the original song or anything. If that's not the most blatant case of "ooh get me, I know the song better than everyone else", I don't know what is. This cunt's even unlocked the SECRET HARMONY.

I remember this post and have a little chuckle at least once a week. But yeah what a cock.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 28, 2018, 04:20:34 PM
After spending 25 minutes stuck behind tall people I went for a pee, and returned to stand somewhere new.

Someone behind me immediately passive-aggressively shouted: Hello new tall person

No offense but I can't/don't want to crouch just for you and I'd done a fair shift stuck behind the skulls of some genuine giants. Just lean left and right a bit - or even look at the fucking big screens they have in that arena. Sorry you're short but you must have got this A LOT at every gig.

I've had this at gigs where I've gone to the bar and stood exactly where I vacated, but someone has moved into the line of sight, I've then got a mouthful of abuse from the person. I do my best not to be in the way (I'm not really tall just average) but I'm fucked if I'm going to be apologetic in that kind of situation.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Was playing a gig in a club some years ago and a couple started fucking on a stool.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 28, 2018, 04:23:22 PM
I'm 6'3 and still have people blocking my view. It's what happens.

5'5"...front and centre every time if poss

Captain Crunch

I can't really be arsed with views – all that aggro to see some pale valley boy frowning at his pedals?  Unless the band are putting on a proper show there's no point and at the moment I'm struggling to name a band that give you something to look at as well as hear.  Mac Sabbath I suppose but those outfits are so big you can see them from all over. 

Buelligan

I think the last biggish gig I went to I was obliged to lamp a fellow.  I was just standing there, listening to the support with my partner-thing at the time and this bloke behind us kept shouting and pushing and I gave him a friendly look, like do you want some?, to calm him.  And he kept on and on, then he started pushing to the front, then he started throwing beer.  It went all over me and quite a few other people.  So I jumped on him and punched him, as did most of the other people and my partner reached in, grabbed me by the belt and picked me out.  The end.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on December 28, 2018, 04:07:03 PM
I went to a gig at the 100 Club t'other day which was like a situationist art piece satirising every extreme example of grotesque gig cuntery imaginable. Was probably asking for it attending a show headlined by Insecure Men, an offshoot of Fat White Family - every nihilistic trustifarian East London hipster's fave 'edgy' band, but anyway. I'm talking endless screaming and shouting of song requests between every song (including if not particularly tunes that just wouldn't have fit the vibe/context at all), which eventually resulted in the obviously exasperated lead singer shouting "SHUT UP". I'm talking endless fucking couples doing back to front embraces and taking up way too much room in the process - and getting pissy if anyone came too near them. I'm talking small groups of fans aggressively barging to the front and breaking up existing friend groups in the space without remorse, then doing their apparent damnedest to ensure any disrupted collectives couldn't coalesce anew elsewhere. I'm talking people repeatedly treading on my feet and not only not apologising, but suggesting I simply stand somewhere else in the rare event they even acknowledged they might've done something untoward. It was a fucking nightmare.

To be honest mate if you did this much talking during the gig I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the punters hated you as much as you did them.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: TheMonk on December 30, 2018, 09:53:50 AM

Completely agree. Not fully securing his belt so it looks like a huge swinging dingus is just further rubbing it in the faces of all those young girls he slept with many years ago.

Dannyhood91

I went to see Sons of Kemet at Belgrave in Leeds back in October and I didnt realise I had my torch on and some men called me a knobhead and a dick because it was really bright so I was the inappropriate one in this story :(

king_tubby

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on December 30, 2018, 10:56:33 AM
I went to see Sons of Kemet at Belgrave in Leeds back in October and I didnt realise I had my torch on and some men called me a knobhead and a dick because it was really bright so I was the inappropriate one in this story :(

Yeah but everyone at the Belgrave is a knobhead and a dick so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Jockice

When I go to gigs now I'm in my wheelchair and although I usually get put (sometimes unwillingly) into a special ranch but occasionally there isn't one so I mingle with the normal punters. Which I don't mind (I used to be one myself) but it's really setting myself up for weird treatment.

I took my sister to see Wilko Johnson on his farewell tour that wasn't at a venue which was more or less one level. Well, it sort of sloped upwards the further you got from the stage. I situated myself at a point near the back where I could see the stage and was quite satisfied with that. But everytime someone slightly blocked my view, even momentarily, my sis would rush up to them, tap them on the back and point to me. Because of course it you're disabled there's nothing you you enjoy more than having attention drawn to you. I'd met up before the show that night with a couple of friends who she'd never met before. They thought it was hilarious (and everybody else probably thought that she was lovely and looking out for me) but take it from me I was getting more and more annoyed as the night went on. I know what Wilko looks like. I don't have to see his every move.

I also went to see The Undertones with her at the same venue. When they did Teenage Kicks a group of people standing nearby pulled me up by the shoulders into a standing position for the duration of the song. Weird, because I am actually capable of standing up, it was quite restrictive and as I've said about a million times, it's not even my favourite Undertones song. It wasn't the time or the place to complain though, so I just said a (sarky but I doubt if they picked up on that) 'thanks very much.' If it had been a band I hated though, I suspect my reaction would have been quite different.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Jockice on December 31, 2018, 01:51:16 PM
When they did Teenage Kicks a group of people standing nearby pulled me up by the shoulders into a standing position for the duration of the song. Weird, because I am actually capable of standing up, it was quite restrictive and as I've said about a million times, it's not even my favourite Undertones song. It wasn't the time or the place to complain though, so I just said a (sarky but I doubt if they picked up on that) 'thanks very much.' If it had been a band I hated though, I suspect my reaction would have been quite different.

That would have been funny for a James encore.

Maaayybe.