Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:52:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inappropriate behaviour at gigs

Started by drummersaredeaf, November 26, 2018, 06:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on December 31, 2018, 02:02:38 PM
That would have been funny for a James encore.

Maaayybe.

Or in the opposite way for REM.

Shit Good Nose

It's a long-time bugbear that I've mentioned several times (and also applies to theatre and arena comedy gigs) - people who think there's nothing wrong with spending £25 plus on a concert ticket who then proceed to get tanked up on pricy drinks and then drunkenly shout to their mates throughout the entire gig.  Just go to a fucking pub you dense ignorant cunts.

jobotic

I'd rather people didn't drunkenly shout to their mates in pubs either.

I'm trying to play dominoes here.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: jobotic on December 31, 2018, 02:31:30 PM
I'd rather people didn't drunkenly shout to their mates in pubs either.

I'm trying to play dominoes here.

Well, if you're in a pub you wouldn't have to shout drunkenly to your mates.  But then, given a lot of pubs also now try to be music venues as well (even just with their own music system turned up way too loud), you have to anyway.

Cunts.

Jockice

Quote from: manticore on December 28, 2018, 03:24:19 AM
My sister's group were supporting Orange Juice in Sheffield and they were supposed to put me and my two companions on the guest list, but the man said our name weren't there so we all had to pay, which was embarassing and annoying. So when we entered the hall and my sister's group were doing their soundcheck and I shouted at them from the back of the hall 'why didn't you put us on the guest list?', to which my sister said back something like 'I don't know' in a flummoxed  'what the hell are you doing' sort of way.

I mean about 150 people all turning round to stare at this lunatic shouting at the stage and me embarassing myself and my sister and my friends.  I was a shy young man, I'll never understand what impulse overtook me, I do not do that kind of thing. Suddenly crucified, we've never talked about it since. I did not enjoy the concert (turned out we were on her group's guest list, and the bloke had looked at Orange Juice's).

Which gig was that? The one where Edwyn was wearing an eye patch or the one that a friend of mine swears I went with him to, even though I was on holiday at the time and definitely didn't.

manticore

Quote from: Jockice on December 31, 2018, 02:49:03 PM
Which gig was that? The one where Edwyn was wearing an eye patch or the one that a friend of mine swears I went with him to, even though I was on holiday at the time and definitely didn't.

I wondered if you might have been there! All I remember is that it must have been around 1981/82 so going by this http://www.edwyncollins.com/forum/topics/orange-juice-gigography it was most likely 29th feb 1982 - somewhere unidentified in Sheffield that Edwyn Collins has forgotten the venue of. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Limit Club or the Lyceum and I don't think it was the University either, the hall was too small.

I don't remember an eye patch, but then again I probably wouldn't.

I'll ask my sister, see if she knows. It's about time we broached the subject after 37 years!

Quote from: Jockice on December 31, 2018, 01:51:16 PM
I also went to see The Undertones with her at the same venue. When they did Teenage Kicks a group of people standing nearby pulled me up by the shoulders into a standing position for the duration of the song. Weird, because I am actually capable of standing up, it was quite restrictive and as I've said about a million times, it's not even my favourite Undertones song.

Agreed.  My Perfect Cousin was better.

manticore

Quote from: Jockice on December 31, 2018, 02:49:03 PM

Consulted with my sister and she reckons it was the Sheffield University concert on 2nd March '82, as Dolly Mixture had supported Orange Juice at The Venue in London a week before. Were you there?

Jockice

Quote from: manticore on January 01, 2019, 09:00:50 PM
Consulted with my sister and she reckons it was the Sheffield University concert on 2nd March '82, as Dolly Mixture had supported Orange Juice at The Venue in London a week before. Were you there?

Unfortunately not. I was 16 then (and a very young-looking 16) so didn't have much chance of getting into gigs with an age restriction. Although a couple of months before that OJ show I'd been amazed to have been allowed into a pub gig where the support band was a little-known act called Pulp. They were great. Wonder what happened to them?

The eye patch one was at The Lyceum. He wasn't doing a Pete Burns impression, he had an eye infection. I think they played at least three other local shows during their career though. Looking at that list I think it was the final university show that my mate swears blind I was with him at but I wasn't. Not sure though. Dark mists of time and all that.

What was your sister's band called then? I may remember them.

manticore

Quote from: Jockice on January 01, 2019, 10:17:03 PM
What was your sister's band called then? I may remember them.

Dolly Mixture. A lot more people seem to know them than I would have expected, given they didn't have any hits, just quite a lot of touring and a Peel session that was only broadcast once because Walters didn't like them. Quite a following in Japan now. Then of course they did backing singing for Captain Sensible on Wot and Happy Talk and were on TOTP. Come to think of it you must remember them since they were good pals with The Undertones and supported them a few times.

Jockice

Quote from: manticore on January 02, 2019, 01:03:14 AM
Dolly Mixture. A lot more people seem to know them than I would have expected, given they didn't have any hits, just quite a lot of touring and a Peel session that was only broadcast once because Walters didn't like them. Quite a following in Japan now. Then of course they did backing singing for Captain Sensible on Wot and Happy Talk and were on TOTP. Come to think of it you must remember them since they were good pals with The Undertones and supported them a few times.

Ah right. When you referred to Dolly Mixture supporting OJ in London I thought you meant your sister was in another band. I'm with you now.

Of course I remember them. I liked them. Even bought one of their singles. Been Teen.

Never saw them live though. They did tour with The Undertones but I think it it was the year before I got to see them. Or maybe they were the support and I never saw them because I didn't get in until The Undertones appeared on stage, just due to pestering the bouncers after being refused a ticket because I looked so young, then getting the drummer to put my name on the guest list and still being refused entry.

I and a couple of equally-underage girls just hung around at the door and when the Undertones started their first song the bloke on the door let us in on the proviso that we didn't drink any alcohol. I had no chance of being served anyway. I was 15 and looked about ten. And I got questioned by the police in the way home for being so young-looking and out late.

Anyway, I digress. Dolly Mixture were ace. Tell your sister that. I even remember the names of two of them. Hester and Debsey. And of course their appearances on TV with Captain Sensible were works of art in themselves. I'm going to watch a couple before going to sleep now.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 31, 2018, 02:28:09 PM
It's a long-time bugbear that I've mentioned several times (and also applies to theatre and arena comedy gigs) - people who think there's nothing wrong with spending £25 plus on a concert ticket who then proceed to get tanked up on pricy drinks and then drunkenly shout to their mates throughout the entire gig.  Just go to a fucking pub you dense ignorant cunts.

This is precisely it, innit. It's the overwhelming cause of gig strife by some distance. I think it's compounded by gigs generally being quieter these days too. I generally try to make a bootleg of anything I see these days, and it's amazing how often on playback you can pick out full conversations. The worst was Radiohead at OT Cricket Ground 2017 where you can hear people singing louder than the band throughout. I've spoken to a number of people since who attended separately and maintain it's the worst gig they've ever seen.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on January 02, 2019, 01:49:21 AM
Ah right. When you referred to Dolly Mixture supporting OJ in London I thought you meant your sister was in another band. I'm with you now.

Of course I remember them. I liked them. Even bought one of their singles. Been Teen.

Never saw them live though. They did tour with The Undertones but I think it it was the year before I got to see them. Or maybe they were the support and I never saw them because I didn't get in until The Undertones appeared on stage, just due to pestering the bouncers after being refused a ticket because I looked so young, then getting the drummer to put my name on the guest list and still being refused entry.

I and a couple of equally-underage girls just hung around at the door and when the Undertones started their first song the bloke on the door let us in on the proviso that we didn't drink any alcohol. I had no chance of being served anyway. I was 15 and looked about ten. And I got questioned by the police in the way home for being so young-looking and out late.

Anyway, I digress. Dolly Mixture were ace. Tell your sister that. I even remember the names of two of them. Hester and Debsey. And of course their appearances on TV with Captain Sensible were works of art in themselves. I'm going to watch a couple before going to sleep now.

Just looked this up. The Undertones played Sheffield Top Rank three years in a row. The last of these (in 1981) was the one I saw. The support on the first tour was The Chords, for the second The Moondogs and the support I missed on the third tour was TV21. But I have a feeling that Dolly Mixture were the unadvertised opening act on the second tour. I'm sure a friend of mine (of around the same age but with the advantage of looking like he'd actually gone through puberty) has mentioned seeing them on that tour. I can check with him for definite if you want.

It's weird. In my (former) career I've met and spoken to many a big star. But I'm now starstruck and flustered about speaking to the brother of someone who was in a fairly obscure band nearly four decades ago.

MiddleRabbit

Speaking of Dolly Mixtures, there's a brief moment in the St Etienne video for Who Do You Think You Are? that never fails to bring a smile: it's Debsey from 49 secs to about 52 seconds in this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxqka4FTvFc

manticore

Quote from: Jockice on January 02, 2019, 08:59:47 AM
Just looked this up. The Undertones played Sheffield Top Rank three years in a row. The last of these (in 1981) was the one I saw. The support on the first tour was The Chords, for the second The Moondogs and the support I missed on the third tour was TV21. But I have a feeling that Dolly Mixture were the unadvertised opening act on the second tour. I'm sure a friend of mine (of around the same age but with the advantage of looking like he'd actually gone through puberty) has mentioned seeing them on that tour. I can check with him for definite if you want.

One thing I wanted to say, knowing how much you love The Undertones - I remember my sister never had a bad word to say about them - she always used to say what an absolutely sweet bunch of lads they were, and very supportive and helpful. I remember her describing them as 'good catholic boys' (in reference to not being big into the rock n roll lifestyle), which I thought was funny.

Jockice

Quote from: manticore on January 04, 2019, 02:36:53 AM
One thing I wanted to say, knowing how much you love The Undertones - I remember my sister never had a bad word to say about them - she always used to say what an absolutely sweet bunch of lads they were, and very supportive and helpful. I remember her describing them as 'good catholic boys' (in reference to not being big into the rock n roll lifestyle), which I thought was funny.

So I believe. Apart from my guest list getting antics with Billy the drummer, I've also briefly met songwriting genius/guitarist John (who helped me with my university dissertation on the politics of punk) and bassist Mickey and they seem like really nice blokes. There's a story (that I don't think is in Mickey's excellent book about life with the band) that they went to New York to support The Clash, the very first thing they asked their manager to do was find them a Catholic church.

Feargal has (or had) a bit of a strange reputation though. He wasn't one of the original group of friends that started the band (he was asked because he was Billy's cousin and classmate, and obviously a great singer) and was seen as an outsider even after several years with the band. I've met people from Derry and the music industry who really don't like him. At all. I've been in the same room as him twice (apart from when I saw the band live that is) but never plucked up courage to speak to him. I follow him on Twitter but he seems mainly to talk about fishing nowadays.

Captain Crunch

I think they got so much flack for this they've had to backpeddle:

Quite right too, what a mean and ignorant thing to do. 

ToneLa

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on January 02, 2019, 02:19:37 AM
This is precisely it, innit. It's the overwhelming cause of gig strife by some distance. I think it's compounded by gigs generally being quieter these days too. I generally try to make a bootleg of anything I see these days, and it's amazing how often on playback you can pick out full conversations. The worst was Radiohead at OT Cricket Ground 2017 where you can hear people singing louder than the band throughout. I've spoken to a number of people since who attended separately and maintain it's the worst gig they've ever seen.

Hated that gig myself. Although they compartmentalised the ground, so your paupers like me were way back, milling about, most of them around me fucking sitting in circles chatting!

easytarget

Quote from: Captain Crunch on February 17, 2019, 03:36:57 PM
I think they got so much flack for this they've had to backpeddle:

Quite right too, what a mean and ignorant thing to do.

Yeah, you can't *make* people watch the opening band(s). I'll put the work in and have a listen to them on Spotify before the show and sometimes (usually not) it turns out the support is great and a good fit for the headliner and a good time is had, but I really want the option to skip them.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 27, 2018, 02:23:38 PM
The jazz version of this is nodding intently (must be wearing daft hat) and applauding in the middle of a song. It's miles worse davis I reckon.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to ftfy.

Pauline Walnuts

^^ Not only did I post that in the wrong thread, I've now gone on to quote not modify that message, WOT A BUFFOON!

gilbertharding

Re snogging: the only time I've ever done that was during the 'Holocaust' section of You Made Me Realise at an MBV gig in the 90s... it seemed like an appropriate reaction at the time... I'd no idea what was going on - it was the first time I'd experienced MBV live - and was a bit worried the noise might be the actual end of us all. I apologise now for the inappropriateness of this behaviour.

More recently, other people's inappropriate behaviour: People who bring furniture to festivals, and tut and glare at you because you've stood on their picnic rug or fallen over the folding chair they're still sitting in because they're trying to hold onto a position WAY too close to the stage and Neil Young is about to start playing. Fucking idiots.

ToneLa

I'm eager to import the Portuguese festival custom of having a lie the fuck down wherever you deem suitable to lie down, others be damned.

I mean it practically requires some level of sobriety from the rest of us, lest you fall over a group of gorgeous Portuguese lassies, tumbling headfirst into the little tarts that are customary in that part of Portugal, everyone ending up with cream all over them. There is a downside there if you're a fan of slapstick whose mind isn't in the shitter...

Importing it to Glasto right up front. Proper chill out, feet from the stage, horizontal. No fucks given. Chemical Brothers on? Time for a lie down and a good old fucking chat. I believe I'm fucking luminous, down here, prone.

Fuck it. Make a brew.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 19, 2019, 03:59:01 PM
Re snogging: the only time I've ever done that was during the 'Holocaust' section of You Made Me Realise at an MBV gig in the 90s... it seemed like an appropriate reaction at the time... I'd no idea what was going on - it was the first time I'd experienced MBV live - and was a bit worried the noise might be the actual end of us all. I apologise now for the inappropriateness of this behaviour.

I've only done it twice, once at Pulp In The Park when Pulp were finally on, I love the band but a girl wanted to kiss me and I never turn down such a kind offer. At one point a woman tapped me on the shoulder and said "Will you please stop doing that, I'm a lesbian and find it offensive" so we just walked about twenty feet away and carried on.

The second time was while The Stokes were headlining Reading, because The Stokes were fucking boring live. I mean they might have been better on other occasions but this was when Casablancas had a cast on his leg and did the whole set sitting down.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 19, 2019, 05:03:54 PM
"Will you please stop doing that, I'm a lesbian and find it offensive"

Fucking hell.

flotemysost

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 19, 2019, 05:03:54 PMThe Stokes

New York City... Pots? Errr

I only saw them live once, in 2004, but they were a shambles then as well, Julian Casablancas was off his tits and falling all over the place. I proper fancied him at the time but it was a bit off-putting.

But yeah that seems like a bit of an unnecessary comment, I find it hard to believe she'd never seen people snogging at a gig/festival before. It can be a bit irritating in an indoor venue, especially if you're ridiculously short like me and the two people in front have just conglomerated into one lustful view-blocking lump of flesh, but if you're standing around in a field you kind of have to accept it's gonna be happening somewhere.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 19, 2019, 05:12:52 PM
Fucking hell.

I was quite amused to be honest, and didn't mind moving over as I've seen and scowled at happy couples making out at festivals before.

Quote from: flotemysost on February 19, 2019, 05:52:23 PM
New York City... Pots? Errr

I only saw them live once, in 2004, but they were a shambles then as well, Julian Casablancas was off his tits and falling all over the place. I proper fancied him at the time but it was a bit off-putting.

But yeah that seems like a bit of an unnecessary comment, I find it hard to believe she'd never seen people snogging at a gig/festival before. It can be a bit irritating in an indoor venue, especially if you're ridiculously short like me and the two people in front have just conglomerated into one lustful view-blocking lump of flesh, but if you're standing around in a field you kind of have to accept it's gonna be happening somewhere.

I'm glad I never tried to see them elsewhere as I did used to like them, but it sounds like they were a bit rubbish.

And yeah, it's not like we were down right at the front either, we we just in the middle with plenty of space around us and she could have easily walked away. But again, I found it pretty funny so it didn't bother me. Plus a girl wanted to kiss me, that was a very rare event in 1998 so I wasn't going to get upset in any way.