Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your unlikeliest celebrity sightings

Started by Blinder Data, November 26, 2018, 08:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

A couple of months ago I saw Joel Coen and Frances McDormand hanging out.

Now, if I were in New York, LA or even London, that wouldn't be so remarkable. But Glasgow city centre?! Having a drink outside Bier Halle on Gordon Street?

How unlikely!

I almost didn't recognise them because of how normal they looked. Bloody Oscar winners, blending in like they're the hoi polloi. Who do they think they are?

Please add to this thread with your unlikeliest celebrity sightings.  Note: it must be unlikely. Noticing a famous actor in the audience of a theatre show? Likely. Witnessing a footballer drive his sports car through the city centre? Likely.

Your common or garden celebrity sightings have been done to death and are not welcome here.

Buelligan

I've told this one before but it's a fucking good one, so I'm going to tell it again.  Here it is.

I was waiting alone in a small room below a little tower, in a village in Italy, quite a few years ago. 

The door opened and in walked David Bowie, I wasn't expecting him.  I ignored him, because it seemed the most polite thing to do. 

He looked out of the window, walked round the little room for a bit, then he walked up to me (I was seated), he leant down so his face was about 10cms from mine and raised his sunglasses to stare into my face.  I imagine he thought I was blind.  I just carried on ignoring him.  He readjusted his shades and left. 

That is my story and I am not even lying.

Gulftastic

Whilst browsing in a Virgin megastore in Leeds, we saw Graham Le Saux and his girlfriend casually looking through the CDs.

MoonDust

Saw Louis Walsh out shopping in Dublin.

Is that unlikely? The rest of my sightings are likely (of other famous people, not Louis) as they were all in London.

king_tubby

The Lurker

Vicky Pattison in the men's toilets. She walked in by mistake.

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 26, 2018, 08:25:12 PM
Witnessing a footballer drive his sports car through the city centre? Likely.

I once saw ex-footballer Jimmy Bullard driving a clapped out van. Does that count? A bloke nearly ran into his van but it wasn't Jimmy's fault.

MoonDust

Quote from: Buelligan on November 26, 2018, 08:33:33 PM
I've told this one before but it's a fucking good one, so I'm going to tell it again.  Here it is.

I was waiting alone in a small room below a little tower, in a village in Italy, quite a few years ago. 

The door opened and in walked David Bowie, I wasn't expecting him.  I ignored him, because it seemed the most polite thing to do. 

He looked out of the window, walked round the little room for a bit, then he walked up to me (I was seated), he leant down so his face was about 10cms from mine and raised his sunglasses to stare into my face.  I imagine he thought I was blind.  I just carried on ignoring him.  He readjusted his shades and left. 

How still were you? Genuine question. The way you described his actions sounds like he was looking at you as if you were a wax work model.

biggytitbo

Syd Little and Rihanna, playfully chasing each other round a bin outside WH Smiths in Hull City Centre a few years back.

Space ghost

I encountered Dexter Fletcher on a deserted beach while I was on lsd.

The Lurker

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 26, 2018, 08:34:07 PM
Whilst browsing in a Virgin megastore in Leeds, we saw Graham Le Saux and his girlfriend casually looking through the CDs.

I once saw Graham in the canteen at my old workplace. Not sure how he got in as it was difficult enough getting in with a pass, nevermind without one. This was in Guildford though, not Leeds. Gets about does Graham.

QDRPHNC

Saw Vincent Cassel finishing up a jog in downtown Toronto. He stared at me until he was sure that I recognized him, then he went all smug.

MoonDust

I saw James Nesbitt in Manchester. He was filming for Cold Feet. I only noticed him because I was stood waiting for friends when suddenly a young lady in a hi-vis vest told me to move along as I was "in shot". The film crew were far away though, and I was oblivious they were there. Must have been a zoom in shot.

Arthur Lowe in Marks & Spencer, Wolverhampton. This was a very long time ago, before he died.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 26, 2018, 08:44:53 PM
Arthur Lowe in Marks & Spencer, Wolverhampton. This was a very long time ago, before he died.

Would have been even more notable if it was after his death.

BlodwynPig

Barry and Emma Norman, and Melvyn Bragg on the motorail to the south of France.

massive bereavement

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 26, 2018, 08:46:10 PM

Would have been even more notable if it was after his death.

That's why I felt I had to clarify - I didn't want to win the prize by having people think I saw him recently.

Icehaven

Tim Burgess on a train to Wolverhampton.

Also in Wolverhampton, CaB favourite Bobby Davro. My excitement (already sky high) was ramped up to almost intolerable levels when he approached me and asked where he could get his hair cut.

DrGreggles

Harry Shearer in a coffee shop.

No one else there seemed bothered.

The Culture Bunker

Jimmy Cricket in the royal box at Wembley prior to the 1990 Littlewoods Cup final.

Richard and Tim Butler from the Psychedelic Furs on a train Manchester to Glasgow train. Like me, they were off to Cumbria to visit their mam. Very nice guys, though I'm still waiting (five or so years later) for the album of new material they assured me was on the way.

Buelligan

Quote from: MoonDust on November 26, 2018, 08:35:59 PM
How still were you? Genuine question. The way you described his actions sounds like he was looking at you as if you were a wax work model.

I hadn't thought of that.

The Author with Mr David Bowie, earlier

Head Gardener

sold Samantha Fox (and her mum) 40 Silk Cut when I worked at the sweet kiosk on Euston Station in the 80's

Kelvin

Quote from: Buelligan on November 26, 2018, 08:33:33 PM

You tell this story in the manner of someone who doesn't think it is supremely fucking odd.

flotemysost

Konnie Huq and Richard Bacon shopping together in Kingston (post coke scandal, pre Charlie Brooker, as far as I know).

Judi Dench outside Ikea.

Not a celeb exactly, and I think I've mentioned it before, but as it's relevant to this site... Chris Morris at the bar (LAD) of the Royal Court Theatre.

This is a really middle-class list of celebrity sightings.

shiftwork2

Jimmy 'What a Whirlwind' White perusing the pick 'n' mix at Guildford Odeon.

Train special: Glenda Jackson, Peter Tatchell and that absolute cock out of Hollyoaks (editor's note - he means Will Mellor) on various inter-cities out of Euston.

Heinz Wolff on the escalator at Leicester Square tube, riding an egg machine.  Not the last bit.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 26, 2018, 09:09:22 PM
sold Samantha Fox (and her mum) 40 Silk Cut when I worked at the sweet kiosk on Euston Station in the 80's

Did she have her notoriously large and bouncy boobs out?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 26, 2018, 09:15:17 PM

Did she have her notoriously large and bouncy boobs out?

Sam Fox's mum? or Lemmy?

popcorn

Jeremy Irons buying cheddar in a Co-Op in a village in Oxfordshire.

Beagle 2

Rik Mayall at an Iggy and the Stooges gig in around 2010. He arrived alone, seemed  to be on his own all night, but had a huge grin on his face throughout. We were too scared to talk to him. Obviously wish I had now so my story wasn't quite so disappointing.