Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your unlikeliest celebrity sightings

Started by Blinder Data, November 26, 2018, 08:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

I got a bit lost in the Bristol Royal Infirmary and saw Justin Lee Collins, who was also looking a bit lost. 

finnquark

Nigel Reo-Coker in the stacks at Cambridge University Library

Glebe

Ian Hislop queing in Dublin airport. Made brief eye contact!

non capisco

Meg Ryan telling a joke to a man with a massive neck in the now defunct Wetherspoons 'The Moon And Sixpence' which used to be on Wardour Street. It was definitely her.

Cuellar

hamfist

Peter Beardsley, joining me at my breakfast table in some cafe somewhere in Heathrow airport. HE EVEN ASKED ME IF HE COULD SIT DOWN

mrpupkin

I watched the recent Polish film Cold War at the pictures alongside celebrated soccer instructor Arsene Wenger.

jobotic

Quote from: Buelligan on November 26, 2018, 08:33:33 PM
I was waiting alone in a small room below a little tower

...when I met you-oo

Just that part of the story is fascinating.

My friend bumped into John Major in a boulangerie somewhere in France, after he was PM but before he became a hero of the left in comparison to today's scum.

non capisco

Quote from: hamfist on November 26, 2018, 10:06:23 PM
Peter Beardsley, joining me at my breakfast table in some cafe somewhere in Heathrow airport. HE EVEN ASKED ME IF HE COULD SIT DOWN

Was he eating a chicken wrap?

Brian Freeze

Edward Woodward walked into the back bar of the hotel I was working in and very casually ordered a jacket potato.

Just butter. Can't remember if he had a drink to wash it down. Brilliant eh?

biggytitbo

Paul Gascoigne outside of a Tesco express in Leeds last week.

Brian Freeze

Bumped into PC Bellamy off Hartbeat in a local supermarket doing his weekly shop. Went and bought a notepad to get his autograph for Mrs Freeze. Not seen him in there since, so am slightly concerned I've spoilt it for him.

mothman

Camp Tramp

Barbara Windsor and Christopher Biggins scurrying out of a sweet shop near the London Dungeon in the late 80's. They both got into a Morris Minor estate and drove off.

Anton Ferdinand on a moped with lady passenger in Malia.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Brian Freeze on November 26, 2018, 10:25:51 PM
Bumped into PC Bellamy off Hartbeat in a local supermarket doing his weekly shop. Went and bought a notepad to get his autograph for Mrs Freeze. Not seen him in there since, so am slightly concerned I've spoilt it for him.

That actual fictional character, having somehow escaped the bounds of the television screen and entered our mundane reality like jeff daniels character does in Purple Rose of Cairo?

Cold Meat Platter

mothman

Actually, now I think of it...

Tour de France, 1993 or 1994? The year they did a stage or two in south-eastern England. Route passed less than a mile from my parents' house, so me my dad and my brother went to watch. While we're waiting, and all the advance parties are going through, all of a sudden a car zooms past with Saville standing up in the sunroof, flashing (non-rude versions of... I think) v-signs.

ZoyzaSorris

I caught the eye of Laura Kuensburg eating a scotch egg (she herself is scotch so seemed apt) last saturday. I rapidly turned away from her withering gaze, red-cheeked. But it was in a pub in Bow. I do live in London so if London stuff doesnt count seems a bit unfair.

NurseNugent

Roy Barraclough in Limassol Airport.

Matt Lucas exiting a gift shop in the Isle of Man.

Not unlikely but quite funny, Sandra Dickinson at the Dr Who exhibition in Brighton. She spent ages looking at he ex-husband's regeneration scene then whizzed round the rest in under 5 minutes.

steve98

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 26, 2018, 10:24:52 PM
Paul Gascoigne outside of a Tesco express in Leeds last week.

All your Celeb spots seem to happen outside a Leeds' Tesco Express.

MidnightShambler

The woman who plays Eileen in Corrie was stood next to me in the security queue at Manchester airport a couple of years ago. She seemed fine but I considered her husband to be dressed too garishly for 5am. And uncomfortably, nobody should wear jeans a jeans, jacket, shirt and tie combination for a long haul flight. For anything, really.

Better than that, though it didn't happen to me, was when my mate was woken up about 2am by somebody rattling the front gate then banging loudly on his door. He went to the bedroom window to investigate (at his wife's behest) and answered her enquiry of who it was with 'its fucking Ken Dodd', which was a shock to her I imagine.

He'd been playing at the Floral Pavilion theatre (which was more or less at the bottom of their road) and had taken the wrong turn walking up to his b&b, got confused and knocked at the wrong door. They invited him in, gave him a cup of tea and walked him up the road to where was staying. Said he was great, which I'm glad about.

Red Lantern

When I was 9, my mum took me to watch one of the very first London Marathons. I saw two famous people - Arsenal manager Terry Neill, and Jimmy Savile, who was hard to spot in a gold tracksuit.

The actor that played Tosh Lines in The Bill going into a jewellery store on Oxford Street about 30 years ago.

50s throwback Mark Lamarr in the Harvey Milk bar at Leeds University.

I bumped into Frank Skinner on a dancefloor somewhere, might have been Guildford.

Steve Davis and Thurston Moore at gigs at Cafe Oto (on separate occasions).

Chris Eakin from BBC News in the pub in St Pancras station. Another time at St Pancras, Martin Johnson overtook me on the platform to catch a train. I thought "that bloke's fucking massive" before I realised who it was.

James Cracknell overtook me when I was running a race in Milton Keynes. Some years before, my team won our local pub quiz for the first time, after many attempts, thanks to a question which he was the answer to. I was too tired to tell him this though.

Kelly Holmes finished the London Marathon 30 seconds ahead of me, and was being set up for a TV interview. I clapped her on the shoulder and called her a legend. She gave me a funny look.

When I lived in Leeds, a friend excitedly informed me that they'd recently seen Margaret Beckett on a train.

mothman

Quote from: MidnightShambler on November 26, 2018, 10:45:45 PM
Better than that, though it didn't happen to me, was when my mate was woken up about 2am by somebody rattling the front gate then banging loudly on his door. He went to the bedroom window to investigate (at his wife's behest) and answered her enquiry of who it was with 'its fucking Ken Dodd', which was a shock to her I imagine.

He'd been playing at the Floral Pavilion theatre (which was more or less at the bottom of their road) and had taken the wrong turn walking up to his b&b, got confused and knocked at the wrong door. They invited him in, gave him a cup of tea and walked him up the road to where was staying. Said he was great, which I'm glad about.

Did it give them the horn?

biggytitbo

Quote from: steve98 on November 26, 2018, 10:45:26 PM

All your Celeb spots seem to happen outside a Leeds' Tesco Express.

That's not true, I saw Boutros Boutros-Ghali outside of Home Bargains in Keithley a few years ago.

steve98

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on November 26, 2018, 10:38:17 PM
I caught the eye of Laura Kuensburg eating a scotch egg (she herself is scotch so seemed apt) last saturday.

Hard tae ken where 'ae start wi' this fuckin' pish...

Gregory Torso

Late 90s, Bob Mortimer, his nascent bald spot barely the size of a 50p piece, glimpsed between promenading couples at a distant cousin's confirmation party.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: MidnightShambler on November 26, 2018, 10:45:45 PM
The woman who plays Eileen in Corrie was stood next to me in the security queue at Manchester airport a couple of years ago. She seemed fine but I considered her husband to be dressed too garishly for 5am. And uncomfortably, nobody should wear jeans a jeans, jacket, shirt and tie combination for a long haul flight. For anything, really.
Perhaps more weirdly, I saw her in the mosque down the road from my digs about 13 years ago. She was with one of the actors who played the coppers in Early Doors, who I assumed was her husband, partner, whatever.

(on a darker note, said mosque has recently become infamous for links to extremism after that prick who blew himself up at the Manchester Arena had been known to go there a couple of years prior)

Bronzy

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 26, 2018, 09:09:22 PM
sold Samantha Fox (and her mum) 40 Silk Cut when I worked at the sweet kiosk on Euston Station in the 80's

Would?

MidnightShambler

Quote from: mothman on November 26, 2018, 10:48:11 PM
Did it give them the horn?

Could you imagine anything being more of an aphrodisiac than watching a tired Ken Dodd drink a cup of tea?
They were at it like knives for the rest of the week.

Bronzy

Quote from: Glebe on November 26, 2018, 09:51:24 PM
Ian Hislop queing in Dublin airport. Made brief eye contact!

Saw him driving his Range Rover just north of Glasgow about a year ago.

I imagine he was up for family reasons as I know his father was from the area.

Or maybe he just has a house there, the area in question (Milngavie) is basically full of rich old people.