Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vikings mid-season 5 returns this week

Started by NoSleep, November 26, 2018, 09:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

A whole year in between but this is the continuation of season 5.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dGCvJkzQSE

Looks all Apocalypse Now this time. Nice to see Rollo back right at the end of the trailer.

NoSleep

I forgot that Rollo was the last face we saw at the end of the mid-season break (rewatched the last episode in preparation for its return).

No spoilers but this week's return episode has me looking forward to the rest of the season. Good stuff.

Norton Canes

Crikey, had forgotten all about this. I started watching it from the start a few months ago but stopped a couple of episodes into series two when the plots just seemed to keep going in circles.

NoSleep

You've got to make it to the end of season two, at least. I'm thinking you might be mistaking the shitty behaviour of some of the characters during season two for how it's unfolding. Watch to the end.

Norton Canes

It was more a case of Rollo is a traitor, oh no he's good again, oh no he's a traitor again, oh no he's good again, oh no they've actually sent him off as an emissary to the guy who keeps turning him into a traitor... enough!

NoSleep

Rollo is still being a two-faced dick in season 5 so get used to it.

NoSleep

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 29, 2018, 02:32:53 PM
...oh no they've actually sent him off as an emissary to the guy who keeps turning him into a traitor...

Talking about Jarl Borg, I have to say I really enjoyed the performance of the actor for entirely the wrong reasons, I suspect. I found it entirely comedic and I don't mean in a so bad it's good way. Almost as if the actor was going for the comedy, making Jarl Borg an ultimately pathetic figure. Somehow brilliant and memorable.

Dex Sawash

Hanging by a thread. Getting it all mixed up with the last kingdom. At least the seer is dead. Or is he?

Bourgyste

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 23, 2018, 02:18:36 AM
Hanging by a thread. Getting it all mixed up with the last kingdom. At least the seer is dead. Or is he?
Vikings is a far better show but there is something supremely entertaining about Last Kingdom and I think Series 3 has been better than this Vikings series.

Dex Sawash

NoSleep

No spoilers but a fair bit of water has run under the bridge in two weeks. It hasn't quite kept up with the promise of the return episode but it looks like they're setting up for a decent season ending.

Dex Sawash

Predict that Lagertha will return as the more powerful Lagertha the Grey. Hvitserk's new lady will probably kill Ivar/Ivars woman/the baby. Still enjoying the bits with Judith and Alfred though.

NoSleep

I thought to myself, "Rutger Hauer has let himself go," but it turned out to be Steven Berkoff.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 16, 2019, 11:45:12 AM
Predict that Lagertha will return as the more powerful Lagertha the Grey. Hvitserk's new lady will probably kill Ivar/Ivars woman/the baby.

0/2

Dex Sawash

Make it 0/3, was going to predict a Lagertha/Judith romance but that one isn't happening now. Was sure I had missed an episode. Lump found to dead in like a week?

NoSleep

How could anyone have predicted "Lagertha has a haircut"?

Must have been a huge time lag between Judith announcing her lump and Ubbe challenging the naysayer; seemed more like he had just popped up the road.

Dex Sawash

Shake out the box of unused battle ideas, stop somewhere that may allow another season.
Kind of a shame to go out with a whimper after the heights of earlier seasons.

NoSleep

And no tantalising glimpses of new characters like we got at the end of Season 4. Just Ivar sloping off. Would be better if they shifted the focus toward Harald instead of digging the Lothbrok trench even deeper. Steven Berkoff and his monologues can get to fuck (don't think I've ever seen anything with him in that I've liked).

NoSleep

Also: very smart of the seafaring Viking horde to try and take the port of Kattegut by land.