Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:23:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your unlikeliest celebrity slightings

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, November 27, 2018, 05:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Whilst enjoying a night at London's famous comedy store (the old one in Leicester Square underneath Wetherspoons) I bumped into Arthur Smith and Sandi Toksvig at the bar. I offered the diminutive Scandinavian a pint of lager which she gruffly refused on the grounds that she was about to go on stage. Her haughty manner seemed to imply that I was clumsily attempting to turn her away from the pleasures of the female form to get her 'back on solids' (see Viz profanisaurus). Arthur Smith had no such qualms and asked that I leave a drink "in the tap for him" which I duly did.

studpuppet

Quote from: Mr Banlon on December 05, 2018, 10:06:18 AM
Oh, 'Old Amersham'. I saw Rula Lenska and Dennis Waterman walking about down there in the late-80s. It wasn't an 'unlikely sighting' though, as plenty of those kind of celebs lived in South Bucks (Paul Daniels, Cilla, Bill Oddie).
I used to see Rick Parfitt in Denham all the time.

I'm sure my dad had many more famous people than he actually recognised - Chequers used to send foreign dignitaries to the High Street if they wanted to do any shopping, but my recollection is that in five or six years of having the shop there, he only ever recognised:

Ian Smith (Rhodesian PM)
Hale Irwin (golfer)
Jody Sheckter (F1 World Champion)
Michael Denison and Dulcie Gray (the Posh and Becks of their day)
Michael Caine (they filmed a scene from The Jigsaw Man at one of the pubs down the road)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on December 05, 2018, 10:20:58 AM
Whilst enjoying a night at London's famous comedy store (the old one in Leicester Square underneath Wetherspoons) I bumped into Arthur Smith and Sandi Toksvig at the bar. I offered the diminutive Scandinavian a pint of lager which she gruffly refused on the grounds that she was about to go on stage. Her haughty manner seemed to imply that I was clumsily attempting to turn her away from the pleasures of the female form to get her 'back on solids' (see Viz profanisaurus). Arthur Smith had no such qualms and asked that I leave a drink "in the tap for him" which I duly did.

I met Arthur Smith back in the 90s and he was indeed lovely, despite the fact that I was ridiculously pissed and went up to him saying "I know you, you're that funny bloke whose on Who's Line Is It Anyway? sometimes" and rambled away for a while like that. Considering I couldn't even remember his name he had every right to be annoyed, but instead was gracious and warm.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 05, 2018, 01:54:20 PM
I met Arthur Smith back in the 90s and he was indeed lovely, despite the fact that I was ridiculously pissed and went up to him saying "I know you, you're that funny bloke whose on Who's Line Is It Anyway? sometimes" and rambled away for a while like that. Considering I couldn't even remember his name he had every right to be annoyed, but instead was gracious and warm.

an ex of mine, considerably older than me, was at manc poly with mr smith & mr nice; she continued to receive christmas cards from them well into the 80s.

Fishfinger

Not picked for audience participation by Andy Zalzman, Tony Law and Daniel Kitson. Also had a funny look from Alexei Sayle when signing a book, and Michael Portillo once glanced at me when I was smoking a cigarette outside some cinema in Leicester Square, but didn't pursue the matter.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 05, 2018, 01:20:37 AM
Michael Portillo had dinner with his Mam in Taormina Sicilly. He was quite handsome but had a big arse. A proper too-fruity-booty.

Quote from: Fishfinger on December 06, 2018, 01:02:13 AM
Michael Portillo once glanced at me when I was smoking a cigarette outside some cinema in Leicester Square, but didn't pursue the matter.

Michael Portillo walked past me as he was entering Saks Fifth Ave in NYC and I was leaving the same.

Come on everyone, just a couple more of these and we can have a "Your unlikeliest Michael Portillo sightings [split topic]" thread.

Jockice

I've never seen him but a few years ago I had a dream in which I crashed my car and he rescued me. Which is strange but made even stranger by the fact that a few weeks later I had exactly the same dream only with David Seaman saving me this time. God knows what had happened to my brain.