Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:19:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen Hillenburg (Creator of Spongebob Squarepants) dies at 57

Started by Nowhere Man, November 28, 2018, 08:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-46365439

Very sad to hear this, as someone in their mid 20s I absolutely love those early seasons of Spongebob, even on the odd rewatch they still hold up fantastically. Many of those jokes still pop up in my head and make it hard to resist laughing out loud. He created an incredible universe of characters.

He also had a huge part in the success of Rocko's  Modern Life, of which he was a creative director of, and another favourite cartoon of mine.

It might be cheesy to say but his work played a big role in my childhood years of TV watching so I really am quite gutted to hear about his early passing.

the

Fucking Motor Neurone, it swoops in and takes people.

This is sad, Spongebob was great. Yes, it effectively built on the comedy and animation rhythms established by Ren & Stimpy and made them much more palatable, but as animated comedy it wasn't an inferior sanitised product, it had strength, joy and a consistency of its own.

The first Spongebob movie is excellent with some big laughs (haven't seen the later one). SS also contained one of my all-time favourite comedy ideas - Spongebob's driving instructor is a female pufferfish who involuntarily inflates whenever Spongebob crashes the car.

RIP.

Petey Pate

He had an unusual career path, having studied marine biology and taught it for a few years before deciding to become an animator.

RIP

Lemming

Fuck. The first three seasons of Spongebob have got to be some of the most joke-packed pieces of TV ever made, easily giving golden-era Simpsons a run for its money in terms of sheer laugh density.

Since everyone will no doubt be quoting and referencing their favourite jokes, here's a few of mine:

That's a perfectly ordinary Krabby Pa-OH MY GOODNESS

We're not talking about THIS, or THIS, we're talking about THIIIIIIS

Oh look, an ambulance (this is one of my favourite jokes in anything ever)

cliggg

I am glad he is not suffering anymore but sad about his death. R.I.P. Mr. Hillenburg and thanks for all the laughs.

The Lurker

Quote from: Lemming on November 28, 2018, 10:43:23 AM
Oh look, an ambulance (this is one of my favourite jokes in anything ever)

That's still brilliant and it's now led to me watching classic Spongebob clips on YouTube. I'll just leave these here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob-d5TnNQSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDPWsRZfEg

Twed

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Twed on November 28, 2018, 07:47:24 PM
I will listen to Ocean Man to pay my respects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E5m_XtCX3c

Perfect song to remember him by, not like an excuse is ever needed to listen to Ween though! (It's crazy to think of how many Ween fans were introduced to them through Spongebob.)