Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PHWOARR- Smashing Pumpkins bassist edition

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, November 28, 2018, 04:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Sort of belongs in here and sort of doesn't but hey ho:

(Young) Darcy

Melissa Auf Der Maur

Ginger Pooley

Nicole Fiorentino

I'm going to include Paz Lenchantin even though she was only in Zwan

Knows his attractive lady bassists does old moon face Corgan. I choose Auf Der Maur btw but Paz has a look of being great fun in all the pics I've seen of her from days of yore, the kind of girl who would be good fun at the pub while you looked at her dreamily thinking you had a chance.

I'll sidestep the lecherous aspects of the above, but I quite liked the first Auf der Maur solo album. I saw her supporting APC, and then on her own a bit later. No idea if the follow up is any good though.

Neville Chamberlain

PPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kngen

Yeah, but how many of them have won an Oscar? Kira Roessler has!

Black Flag > SmaPum. QED.

Pauline Walnuts

Didn't the Wedding Present have a series of low end hotties as well? [/ironic sexism]

BlodwynPig

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 29, 2018, 11:37:10 AM
I'll sidestep the lecherous aspects of the above, but I quite liked the first Auf der Maur solo album. I saw her supporting APC, and then on her own a bit later. No idea if the follow up is any good though.

imho the second album was superior, but its been ages since I listened to it.

PaulTMA

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 29, 2018, 01:54:40 PM
Didn't the Wedding Present have a series of low end hotties as well? [/ironic sexism]

Um, well I think they continued to have female members after Terry de Castro left to cover the backing vocals from Cinerama onwards

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 29, 2018, 01:54:40 PM

Keith Gregory in his prime wasn't too bad. Sort of Luke a sexy Skeletor.

The Culture Bunker

Looking at above pics, is it telling that my conclusion was more that Corgan insists his bassists have to play a Fender?

(can't tell in the Auf Der Maur pic, sure someone will correct me)

Technique

in fairness to Corgan, the current bass player for the pumpkins is a fat male Mancunian.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 29, 2018, 10:04:14 PM
Looking at above pics, is it telling that my conclusion was more that Corgan insists his bassists have to play a Fender?

(can't tell in the Auf Der Maur pic, sure someone will correct me)
Auf De Maur had many custom P-Basses ,but the one in the picture is her most unique one, a silver glitter-finish body with a mirror pickguard:

Fiorentino started using Reverend Decision and Justice basses as well as P and Jazz Basses towards the end of her time in the Pumpkins. Early on Darcy used a Musicman Stingray, Yamaha BB3300 and Epiphone ET-285 before settling on P- and Jazz Basses.

Of course, the reason they all used Fender basses is probably down to that's what Billy used in the studio recordings (he played almost everything except the drums on their albums pre Mellon Collie) and having to reproduce his sound live.

She'll P-Bass by the time I'm finished with her.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

They've all used Fender basses by the time....oh never mind.

Spiteface

Quote from: buzby on November 29, 2018, 10:44:47 PM
Auf De Maur had many custom P-Basses ,but the one in the picture is her most unique one, a silver glitter-finish body with a mirror pickguard:

Fiorentino started using Reverend Decision and Justice basses as well as P and Jazz Basses towards the end of her time in the Pumpkins. Early on Darcy used a Musicman Stingray, Yamaha BB3300 and Epiphone ET-285 before settling on P- and Jazz Basses.

Of course, the reason they all used Fender basses is probably down to that's what Billy used in the studio recordings (he played almost everything except the drums on their albums pre Mellon Collie) and having to reproduce his sound live.

Most likely - the bass D'arcy's using in the pic up top is probably Corgan's. Pretty sure I saw a photo of him with it when he and Jimmy Chamberlin were recording Zeitgest.

As for Reverend, not sure why Nicole made the switch, but Corgan has used Reverend guitars since Machina, and after falling out with Fender and Gibson has started using them again, with his main live guitar being a signature model, although the old blue strat is also seeing use.

Jeff Schroeder for years was playing Les pauls, mainly because that's what James Iha used, then he slowly started moving away from that, also using Reverend stuff.

SteveDave

Quote from: Technique on November 29, 2018, 10:32:00 PM
in fairness to Corgan, the current bass player for the pumpkins is a fat male Mancunian.

Son of Hook