Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:19:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Allegedly 'rubbish' flop comedy shows from the past which don't even have a cult following...

Started by 23 Daves, February 21, 2005, 11:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Cows never got beyond the pilot did it?

I don't think so, I think the episode was one hour long and I can't remember ever seeing another one.

This had turned into a "do you remember...?" thread instead of the interesting premise of the original title.

We should all apologise to the thread starter.

Sorry thread starter.

Darrell

Quote from: "Charlie Bonkers"Would 'Absolutely' be as funny do you think if you saw it again?

Yes.

Derek Trucks

It's a bit of both Munday, as far as I'm aware (correct me by all means) all the shows mentioned are no longer regarged as 'quality' shows, largely due to the lack of availability/people vocally praising them so they still qualify for this thread.

In regard to my previous post, what I meant was that both sitcoms have the goal of portraying a minority in a very positive light, which is fine but should really be the second objective of a sitcom, the first being 'to be funny' .  As has been discussed too many recent comedies have forgotten that by trying to be stylish/dark/subversive above anything else.

chav

Quote from: "Charlie Bonkers"Would 'Absolutely' be as funny do you think if you saw it again?
Believe me, it's funnier. Comedy that matures like a good whisky.

edit: Apart from Morwenna Banks & that bloody "little girl" act. I'm glad for the instant fast-forward offered by today's technology.

mycroft

I really enjoyed World of Pub, starring Phil Cornwall, Kevin Eldon and Peter Serathingumywic off Look Around You, although nobody else seemed to see it. Suppose it was another "ready-made cult" thing, with its cast and surreal nature...

It should still be brought out on DVD though.

slim

Just to echo the comments about Absolutely; it's definitely still funny. Funnier for me, as I'm more able to enjoy the humour now than I was at that age.

Contiuning with Absolutely - I was traveling when the Mr Donald and Mr George sitcom came out. I remmember my brother telling it wasn't very good though! They were my two favorites. Does anyone remmember the spin off? I've never seen it repeated again.

Z/Sb

Absolutely is forever hilarious. I absolutely love the show.

I loved the Mr Don & Mr George series too.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Charlie Bonkers"Contiuning with Absolutely - I was traveling when the Mr Donald and Mr George sitcom came out. I remmember my brother telling it wasn't very good though!.

Your brother isn't a twisted old man with dreadlocks is he?

Yes, sorry, that's practically trolling, I know. Sorry, and sorry. But still.

EDIT TO SAY: The sitcom mr don and mr george is TV Heaven for me. Not one duff episode. Hang on... nope, they're all amazingly good. Almost impossible to imagine they're the same people in the subsequent The Creatives. Not that that was notably awful, but it was uncomfortable watching personally, in that they seemed to be awkwardly trying to market themselves as purveyors of unchallenging, viewer-friendly sitcom. It was like when George got hit on the head and became 'Normal' – not much fun.

What possible events would it take to see a return of Don & George? Will we ever see them again? I would pay plentymuch to see it.

Quote from: "mycroft"I really enjoyed World of Pub, starring Phil Cornwall, Kevin Eldon and Peter Serathingumywic off Look Around You.

Did this have a theme tune, that just repeated 'Down the Pub, yeah, Down the Pup, yeah'?

Also I though Sean's Show was quite original and funny at the time.

Z/Sb

Getting back on topic (although not a sitcom), Saturday Zoo was panned by everyone but I loved the show and have every one on tape in top quality. I'm probably not the only one. I mean, through all it's faults, the show was worth watching alone for Paul Calf and John Shuttleworth and where else are you gonna see John Shuttleworth trying to plug his cassettes to Danny De Vito and Christopher Walken? Great stuff!

Also, Lee Evans' "So What Now" - I bought this on dvd a couple of years back and thought it was, for the most part, absolutely hilarious. But I think it was one of those shows which wasn't very well received - at least from reviews I read on the net. It was very much a modern take on "Some Mothers Do Ave 'Em" and very much performed in the style of a classic 70s sitcom.

lardboy

Quote from: "Tom Pynchon's Photo"Nightingales...
I went to the recording of episode 1 of  Nightingales with my drama class when I was maybe 15/16.  I managed to rewatch the episode recently thanks to UKNova, and it's still pretty good.  I don't remember much about the recording except learning at a young age that it takes longer to record a TV programme than it does for half a bottle of wine to work it's way through your system, making it incredibly uncomfortable to laugh without pissing yourself.

danielsan

A big THANK YOU to whoever it was who reminded me of Colins Sandwich. (I can't be arsed to go back and check) I had completely forgotten about this and I loved it when I was a kid.

I also agree with Saved By The Bell, I'm ashamed to say. That alongside the Wonder Years was essential viewing ten years or so ago.

And while we're on the subject, does anyone remember an ITV sitcom with Bruce Forsyth working in a supermarket? i can't remember what it was called or if it was funny.

Also, there was another ITV sitcom called Hope it Rains with the great Tom Bell and Holly Aird (from Waking the Dead) I remember liking that not cos it was particularly funny but because Bell was a much better actor than most other people in ITV sitcoms at the time - which is probably why I liked Home to Roost with Thaw and Dinsdale too