Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:19:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best way to record radio shows permanently?

Started by canadagoose, November 28, 2018, 11:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Back in the day (~1995-2005), I'd just use a cassette recorder, but I don't even have one of those now. I know you can use Audacity, but it means you have to play the whole thing through your PC and you can't listen to anything else in the meantime. My old iPod Nano has a record function for radio, but you have to make sure the earphones are in a good location or the radio will be fuzzy. What would you recommend?

Uncle TechTip

If it's BBC stuff you have to use get_iplayer.

For other stations, maybe recording the stream is suitable on a PC, with some audio recording of software. Recording over the air would seem most faff on a PC like you say, and I'm sure there's several dab radios with a record function but you face drawbacks like only in mono.

I'd hope it's just BBC you need, then it's really easy (with a tiny bit of command learning and Task Scheduler)

canadagoose

hermitical

As well as get_iplayer I've used Streamwriter successfully for recording stuff. Only thing is that is in effect a tape recorder, but one on a timer switch in another room so you don't have to listen to it.

Does that make sense? Basically you find the stations streaming url and then you can time recordings and it downloads whatever is streaming during that time.

I'm sure it can do loads more nuanced things but that's all I've used it for

studpuppet

If you're Mac-based I've always used Audio Hijack (https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/) for non-BBC stuff. Fairly simple to use,etc.

a duncandisorderly

the tune-in app has had its recorder disabled in the UK because rights issues, but it still works abroad, & might be ok with a VPN therefore. otherwise, being a bit old-school, I tend to use dedicated hardware.... cassette deck, or minidisc if I think I might want to listen to the show during my commute, on a walkman.  but you can get portable recorders that take a line input & write either wav or MP3 to a flash card, for a bit over a ton. they're also great for surreptitiously recording gigs & so forth...
this kind of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tascam-DR-05-quality-handeld-recorder/dp/B00LU8K790/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543511459&sr=8-4&keywords=tascam+recorder

Sebastian Cobb

If you're wanting radio streams it's easy on any computer to get vlc to do it. I'll dig the command out when I'm at home.

Had a new record last week of doing that and forgetting I'd done it and leaving it running in the background - 175 hours, Friday to Thursday.

hermitical

You see this is where Streamwriter is good, you just set the timer and it records the stream. You don't need to actually have the stream playing. You can set up regular scheduled recordings and as long as your pc/laptop is on and the programme is running then it will record and you can even record two steams at the same time...

canadagoose

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll bear them in mind if I want to record some non-BBC content in the future (which I probably will).

georgetaylor

I wondered if there was a box like my Humax thing that i use to record television, that could do the same for Radio.
Turns out there is, its my Humax thing, which can of course record Radio from freeview as well as TV. And then copy the files to a USB.
Obvious really.
Now I can set up a series pass for my favourite radio stuff and never again have to miss the Fearne Cotton Show on a Sunday evening.
Amazing!

canadagoose

Quote from: georgetaylor on November 30, 2018, 08:12:50 PM
I wondered if there was a box like my Humax thing that i use to record television, that could do the same for Radio.
Turns out there is, its my Humax thing, which can of course record Radio from freeview as well as TV. And then copy the files to a USB.
Obvious really.
Now I can set up a series pass for my favourite radio stuff and never again have to miss the Fearne Cotton Show on a Sunday evening.
Amazing!
This is an excellent solution if you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland - but unfortunately those of us in Scotland have no BBC Radio (except, I think, 6 Music?) on Freeview after 5pm due to BBC Alba (channel 7) taking up the space. And, I think, it's off from 12pm at weekends, which is a bum.

Pinball

I use get_iplayer for BBC. Used to use Pure radios to record DAB to MP2 files on SD card (then convert to MP3), which is a useful backup but not a mainstay anymore. The bitrate on DAB is shite too, but 320k on iplayer.