Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:59:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris sample in 1992 Jungle Track

Started by Sooks, November 29, 2018, 01:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sooks

Anyone know where the sample of what I assume to be Chris Morris (00:03-00:11) is from?
I've listened to what I could find of On the Hour, but it's not there (might be in the parts that were not released tho).
I couldn't find much of Up yer News, so could be from there(?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=SUiCNnmburM

This track was pressed in 1992, I don't know the month, but sounds early, almost proto-jungle.
Discogs entry here.
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Kuppa-Soop-Hardcore-Mayhem-Vol-1/release/394241

Any help in satiating my curiosity would be greatly appreciated :D

Chriddof

I think that's actually Jeremy Paxman, on what must have been a late 80s BBC News programme. It does sound a lot like Morris, but it's worth bearing in mind that a big influence on the "Christopher Morris" persona he adopted in On The Hour and everything that followed was Paxman, along with some other newsreaders of the time. Morris could be a very subtle kind of mimic when needs required it, and his voice can be uncannily close to Paxman at times in OTH, TDT and Brass Eye. What's said is way too "straight" for anything he would have done - there's none of the inventively mangled language you find all the way through his work.

I imagine the sample was from a genuine documentary on nuclear war, presumably the first time any official sources acknowledged all those things like the Protect and Survive films. Whoever made the track must have recorded whatever programme it was a few years previously (what with the Cold War having concluded by 1992, and everyone being certain that such a war could now never happen - how times change...) and dug it out when searching for something to sample.

buzby

It is a young Jeremy Paxman. It was taken from an episode of Panorama called 'If The Bomb Drops', broadcast at 8.10pm on Monday 10th of March 1980 (just after the Russians had invaded Afghanistan) about Britain's preparations for nuclear war, and was the first time clips from Protect And Survive were broadcast. The complete episode is on Youtube (dubbed from the BBC archive copy, complete with timecode), and here is the exact point the sample is from.

Sooks

Many thanks folks!
I am surprised at just how well Morris has emulated Paxman's style, I was completely convinced it was Morris!

I'm going to watch that documentary to see if it has been sampled by anyone else (I have an interest in tracking down samples from obscure tracks).