Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,310
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:27:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your local panto ‘stars’

Started by Captain Crunch, November 29, 2018, 09:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.lighthousepoole.co.uk/whats-on/2018/dick-whittington/

Poole Lighthouse are not fucking about this year; Chris Jarvis, Peter Duncan and Richard Gibson all involved. You literally can't go wrong.

Baz Chuckle starring as "buttons" at the Penge Lyceum

Chollis

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 29, 2018, 01:24:59 PM
The young Stewart Lee seems to have a part in Aladdin at the Cambridge Arts Theatre this year.

Wayne Sleep too.

Pedigree.

Still can't believe Will Self is Widow Twankey at the Grand Theatre this year.

petril

im barry bethel

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 29, 2018, 10:10:35 AM
I have literally heard of nobody in that Riverside production of " Peter Pan ". Fucking " Barnaby " ?

I always love the way they have to put some (from channel 5's) brackets underneath, you only ever see it on panto posters

im barry bethel

Quote from: Cuellar on November 29, 2018, 03:33:15 PM
Is it true that you make a bloody fortune doing panto, or has that just been put about by embarrassed celebs?

I remember a few years ago Biggins or Danny la Rue or one of those other perennial panto favourites bemoaning the influx of Aussie soap actors and Gladiators taking all the plumb contracts, but then he never traveled to see Stephanie from Neighbours at The Albany arena. Seems the latest gripe is producers hiring child actors to play Snow White's seven dwarves (which seems a reasonable complaint)

I knew someone who was in a Pantomime a few years back which had an 80's singer as its star. This was a level of celebrity name you'd see and think "hang on... she's?... oh, yes, I remember." Anyway, she was earning £26k a week.

edit for post below: yes, £26,000 a week.

BlodwynPig

You what? 26000?

*dusts off Dobbin rear end from back of wardrobe*

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Captain Crunch on November 29, 2018, 09:41:05 AM
Bristol this year have wheeled out the permabeige Gok Wan and permashit Brian Conley for Cinderella.  What a treat.   Punters in Birmingham however can enjoy this instead:

(I'm no expert but isn't that the three that didn't do any writing?)

Who have you got?

East 17 are down to one old member who didn't do much and two blokes who joined the band long after they were famous. They're playing my local town hall next week but I can't be arsed to go even though it is free.

My local one doesn't have any stars at all and is in a tiny pub theatre, but where I grew up this is happening:

I'm almost tempted to go and may try and blag a ticket.

George White

Quote from: Glebe on November 29, 2018, 03:45:34 PM
Over here we have June Rodgers, but she doesn't seem to be doing a panto this year.
No, there are five major pantos in Dublin. The Tivoli, the Gaeity,yhe Olympia and the lesser Helix, which has one of the fellas off Celtic Thunder (dont ask) and the Liberty Hall panto which has Eric Lalor off Fair City, who I saw in a disappointingCinderella asLord Trumpington. Lots of Donald refs, but sadly nothing nodding to the late Baroness and her Slemmel's.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Jockice on November 29, 2018, 03:46:59 PM
Ours has 'Sheffield legend Damian Williams' who I can quite safely say I've never heard of in my life, despite living here for 42 years.

My local one has 'back by popular demand' written underneath the dame every year and I'm convinced that not one person writes to the theatre requesting that.

Natnar

Yes, we've got Jonathan Wilkes...again!

Crabwalk

I've got Wayne Sleep and Liza Goddard and am going on Boxing Day (2018, not 1987 as you'd expect).

Damian Williams is in the Sheffield one every year and he's absolutely superb.

I get dragged along every year by my mum who likes to have a family day out and treat  her grandkids and I always end up really enjoying it.

Twed

Hm, let's take a peek at what the local coastal delights have going on in the motherland.

In Clacton:

Not a clue. And I'm not going to bother posting the rest of the East Anglian coast, because none of the fuckers can even be bothered to get some Z-list celebs in.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm starting to think these flyers might be generated algorithmically.

The scripts probably are too.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Twed on November 29, 2018, 07:08:37 PM
Hm, let's take a peek at what the local coastal delights have going on in the motherland.

In Clacton:

Not a clue. And I'm not going to bother posting the rest of the East Anglian coast, because none of the fuckers can even be bothered to get some Z-list celebs in.

If Mick Dundee was Paul Hogan in a rotting leather waistcoat, rubber knife and confused expression stumbling around looking for "bloody sheilas" to wipe his arse with, I'd be right there.

Glebe

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 29, 2018, 07:01:12 PM
I've got Wayne Sleep and Liza Goddard and am going on Boxing Day (2018, not 1987 as you'd expect).

The event of the century!

Jockice

Quote from: kenneth trousers on November 29, 2018, 07:05:39 PM

I get dragged along every year by my mum who likes to have a family day out and treat  her grandkids and I always end up really enjoying it.

Fair enough! What does he do the rest of the year though?

There's also a local panto held at the City Hall every year. I did know the Dame from that one (or did until he died five years ago). In fact he lived on the same road as me. I'm at number 3 and he was at 23. Not only that, I was mates with his son at school. The man who really knows the stars or what? Not that I ever saw the panto.

Twed

Quote from: Gregory Torso on November 29, 2018, 07:20:02 PM
If Mick Dundee was Paul Hogan in a rotting leather waistcoat, rubber knife and confused expression stumbling around looking for "bloody sheilas" to wipe his arse with, I'd be right there.
I love the confidence of a small-time comedian picking a name for himself that is entirely masked in all Google searches by one of the most popular movie characters of all time.

Quote from: Jockice on November 29, 2018, 07:38:55 PM
Fair enough! What does he do the rest of the year though?

God knows, I've often wondered that, infact it's probably an annual search request of mine the day after the panto.

I reckon he'll probably not have to do anything the rest of the year if he didn't want to as the production is built around him every year now, so I imagine his fee is quite high.

Mantle Retractor

Last year it was this, and I was there:

Aside from the fact it was a steaming turd, my enjoyment was further dampened by our immediate proximity to an excitable and rotund boy stood on his chair heckling the cast and revealing plot points. His grandparents (I hope they were his grandparents) did nothing to control him, although both left him on his own in the interval whilst they went out for a smoke.

I won't be going back this year, but by God I'm tempted:

Although the poster says Sittingbourne, I can assure you "Fleshcreep" (who thought of that name?) and co will be rolling into town for a magical couple of days (Thursday 6th December - Sunday 9th December if you're keen).

It might be worth noting that I once saw Coronation Street's "ASHLEY" exiting an Amsterdam coffee shop with a group of friends. He has a high pitched giggle. Probably one for the Celebrity Sightings thread.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kenneth trousers on November 29, 2018, 07:05:39 PM

I've not been to one since 2006 but back then I saw Henry Winkler and Bobby Davro in Peter Pan and had a fantastic time, as much as I hate to say it Davro was on top form and very funny and far better than most of the stars I saw in pantomimes as a kid. I even ended up seeing it twice as a hot female friend also wanted to see it (she allowed me to kiss her and I once saw her breasts, but nothing more exciting than that happened) and still enjoyed it a great deal.

easytarget

Finally - a 3D scene. Theatre has always lacked that.

Also - Si Foster has 530 followers on the website "Twitter" so think on.

Mantle Retractor

QuoteAlso - Si Foster has 530 followers on the website "Twitter" so think on.

531 now...

im barry bethel

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 29, 2018, 07:01:12 PM

Better than the usual Boxing day trek to Portman road I suppose

Captain Z

Swansea has got Ian Watkins!

Yes, that one!

(No, not that one.)

im barry bethel

Glebe

Quote from: George White on November 29, 2018, 06:22:41 PMNo, there are five major pantos in Dublin. The Tivoli, the Gaeity,yhe Olympia and the lesser Helix, which has one of the fellas off Celtic Thunder (dont ask) and the Liberty Hall panto which has Eric Lalor off Fair City, who I saw in a disappointingCinderella asLord Trumpington. Lots of Donald refs, but sadly nothing nodding to the late Baroness and her Slemmel's.

Yeah I saw and ad for Snow White on the train... it's just an illustration, doesn't look 'panto'-like, but maybe it is a panto.