Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Directors whose films you always see

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 29, 2018, 04:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Back in the nineties I had a long list of directors whose films I'd always see, no matter what the reviews, including the Coens, Lynch, Tom DiCillo, Jim Jarmusch, Sam Raimi, Tarantino and many many others, but now I'm down to Lynch (though I'd be surprised if he makes another full length film), Hal Hartley (where we're lucky if we get a film a decade), Jaco Van Dormael (ditto), Wes Anderson, Paul King, Jonathan Glazer, Ben Wheatley (though I'm not sure for how much longer), Michel Gondry, Hayao Miyazaki (but I imagine he's going to retire again after the next one, and sadly can't have that long to live), Sion Sono,  Taika Waititi, Edgar Wright (he's on shaky ground after Baby Driver however), Chan-wook Park, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, and probably some people I've forgotten. This is admittedly a much longer list than I thought it'd be when I started the post, but out of interest, who are yours?

Twit 2

chveik

PT Anderson, Lanthimos, Fincher, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, von Trier, Friedkin, De Palma

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on November 29, 2018, 05:29:03 PM
PT Anderson, Lanthimos, Fincher, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, von Trier, Friedkin, De Palma

I should have included Lanthimos, and thought about Von Trier but I've not yet seen Anti-Christ and the reviews for his latest aren't great so I'm not sure if I'll watch that either.

Yeah

To add to Lynch, Coens, Herzog et.... would say add Jeremy Saulnier. he hasn't done much but I like what I've seen of it baby even the recent wolf one, green room, blue rune.

greenman

Of those who are still reasonably active I would say Tarantino, McDonagh, PT Anderson, Lanthimos and Peter Strickland stand out as those I'd make an effort to watch any new release relatively quickly, not automatically to mark them as my favourite directors but bar Death Proof none of them have released anything I didn't enjoy a good deal.

Sebastian Cobb

PT Anderson, Wenders, Altman (not so much now, obvs), Carpenter and Verhoven.

Mantle Retractor

I didn't enjoy Inland Empire at all but Lynch completely redeemed himself with Twin Peaks: The Return.

I haven't seen a Cronenberg film since Eastern Promises but I always sought his work out. I've no idea why I stopped bothering with him. I have been intending to make a Cronenberg thread on here but because I've not seen a film of his for a decade I don't think I'm the right man to do it. Great filmmaker though.

chveik

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on November 29, 2018, 08:28:35 PM
I haven't seen a Cronenberg film since Eastern Promises but I always sought his work out. I've no idea why I stopped bothering with him. I have been intending to make a Cronenberg thread on here but because I've not seen a film of his for a decade I don't think I'm the right man to do it. Great filmmaker though.

You didn't miss much, his last three films were really bad.

sevendaughters

Peter Greenaway, Lynne Ramsay, Bruno Dumont, Andrew Kotting. There are others I'm strongly likely to see - Zyvagintsev, Matteo Garrone - but none of those named have failed to provide enjoyment on some level.

Emma Raducanu

Probably linklater, tarantino, coens, Ken loach, Sylvain chomet.

olliebean

Not many. Gilliam and Gondry are the two I immediately thought of - Gilliam's well past his prime now, but I'd still give a new one of his a shot. After a bit more thought, Iannucci and Ayoade come to mind. Charlie Kaufman (anything written by him, too). Probably others that I've forgotten, but tbh I don't pay too much attention to who directed a film unless it has a really distinctive style. (Edgar Wright would have been on my list until Baby Driver, but I'd have to think twice in future.)

rasta-spouse

For some reason I always see whatever Christian Petzold puts out, I'm not even that crazy about his stuff but it's always consistent and well thought out.

But I have no loyalty to any directors anymore...so many eggs being laid by the big names - I can't think of anyone who's putting out "must see" work (maybe PTA).

surreal

Fincher definitely, and now Denis Villeneuve

Lost Oliver

I was actually thinking about this the other day and wanted to create a list for myself. Weirdly, Lynch is the first one on my list too. In absolutely no order other than memory I'd go:

Lynch, Fassbinder, Kieślowski, Bogdanovich, Herzog, Kaufman, Linklater, Lanthimos, Von Trier, Ozu, Kaurismäki, Bellocchio, Fellini, Moretti, Bunuel, Kar-Wai, Ceylan, Bergman, Wiseau, Andersson, Seidl, Jodorowsky, Kon

Every one of them has touched my life and made it that little bit more bearable. I can't thank them enough.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: surreal on December 01, 2018, 10:07:39 AM
Fincher definitely, and now Denis Villeneuve

Ditto both, although I HATED Gone Girl - I'd honestly much rather watch Benjamin Button.

Hmmm, difficult one.  Most of my go-tos of the past haven't really been on form in their relative dotage and/or have had a rocky run - Friedkin, Ridley Scott, Gilliam, Herzog, Malick and Spielberg have all made some horrendous films fairly recently and in previous years.

I suppose the Coen Brothers - even their misfires (like their Ladykillers remake, and Intolerable Cruelty) are at least worth watching for something in them, be it a standout performance or some lovely cinematography.  Even though I'm not a fan of their three most popular films (Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing and Fargo), I struggle to think of a Coens film I absolutely dislike.

The above mentioned Linklater, although I do wish he'd do more comedy-comedy like The Bad News Bears (which I think is infinitely better than the original, at least in terms of the film as a whole).

After that I'm struggling to think of any other directors that I routinely go out of my way to see these days.

Epic Bisto

Alan Clarke, Francois Truffaut, Jess Franco (tread wisely when you get to his 80's output onwards because it will probably be awful), Werner Herzog, John Waters, Lars Von Trier, Andy Milligan (the horror stuff can be rough going but his surviving B&W films from the 60s are wonderfully bile-ridden primal scream therapy sessions put through a grain filter).