Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:31:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scientists discover spider milk

Started by MoonDust, November 29, 2018, 08:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

I bet you would, you dirty old bollocks. I bet you fucking would.

Queneau

How long before your child is drinking this at school?

biggytitbo

Queneau

biggytitbo

Sounds like fun, bet you could squeeze a fair bit out of a tarantula.

Its no weirder than eating honey really is it?

Queneau

It's all fucked up. But the moment I try to suck a new mother's tits, I'm the weirdo.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: MoonDust on November 29, 2018, 09:27:09 PM
Further links saying the same thing:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2186972-some-spiders-produce-milk-and-its-more-nutritious-than-cows-milk/

And from Sciencemag, the magazine affiliate to the Science journal:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/spider-moms-spotted-nursing-their-offspring-milk

Not dumbed down Guardian journalism.

Well I'd say firstly a sensationalised initial report from the scientists knowing that that's how you get coverage, and then further mangling of the science by the Guardian, whether willfuly or just through the complete ignorance of what passes for journalists at that rag these days.

Simple fact is that this is no more 'milk' thank the many other already widely documented examples of analagous body secretions already known about across the animal kingdom, including amongst invertebrates (from pigeons, flamingos and penguins to various bees and the discus fish, amongst numerous others). It's an interesting find, in terms of spiders and parental care, but that's about it.

im barry bethel

Quote from: MoonDust on November 29, 2018, 08:27:08 PM
Apparently they suckle from the same place the eggs came from...

Quote from: MoonDust on November 29, 2018, 09:31:27 PM

..."So Chen and his colleagues put mother spiders under the microscope and gently squeezed their abdomens. A few droplets of a creamy white fluid came out."

It might be creamy it might be white it might dribble from the same place as the eggs but round here we call that something else

greenman

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 29, 2018, 08:07:28 PM
Has this got anything to do with that massive cow? Seems a bit of a coincidence.

Katie Hopkins? she does have an arachnidian personality.

momatt

ZoyzaSorris

Here's even the bbc being more informative on the preponderance of fake milk across the animal kingdom a few years ago. http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20151016-five-animals-you-never-knew-make-milk-for-their-babies

NoSleep

The Guardian & the BBC talking bollocks?

Golden E. Pump

My milkshake brings all the flies to the web.

seepage

I think 'epigastric furrow' will be my next username

king_tubby

They're all 'epigastric furrows' etc etc.

Dex Sawash