Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:58:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Reverend Hayter

Started by Pinckle Wicker, November 30, 2018, 12:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Surprised that this hasn't been posted already, so here I go. It would seem that Newsnight's reputation is on a shoogily peg (assuming that it hadn't been for some time) as a Brexiteer vicar on their panel the other night turned out to be an actor. NN are furiously denying this of course, and claiming that she is a the real deal and works as an extra on the side of her ministerial duties. Anyway, I am not convinced as I find it extremely difficult to watch in the same way as Dimbleby on QT. The BBC seem to be more and more a PR machine for 10 Downing Street these days and especially as we have Robbie Gibb as TM's Head of PR. A very sad state of affairs.

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1068167853017305088

Captain Z

I preferred her as the focus group actress in The Thick Of It.

Bennett Brauer

I can't believe how far this programme has fallen since Kirsty Wark danced to Thriller on it.

BlodwynPig

Oh, its so good. The BBC death knell sounding loud and true.

buttgammon

I 'experimentally' watched Newsnight every night for a week recently and it got to Thursday before there was a Labour person on. For the first three nights, there were several debates consisting solely of Tory politicians, right-wing journalists and people from right-wing think tanks, and a brief interview with Vince Cable. Fuck the BBC.

Buelligan

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on November 30, 2018, 12:33:08 AM
Surprised that this hasn't been posted already, so here I go. It would seem that Newsnight's reputation is on a shoogily peg (assuming that it hadn't been for some time) as a Brexiteer vicar on their panel the other night turned out to be an actor. NN are furiously denying this of course, and claiming that she is a the real deal and works as an extra on the side of her ministerial duties. Anyway, I am not convinced as I find it extremely difficult to watch in the same way as Dimbleby on QT. The BBC seem to be more and more a PR machine for 10 Downing Street these days and especially as we have Robbie Gibb as TM's Head of PR. A very sad state of affairs.

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1068167853017305088

There is a bit of discussion in the Corbyn threads starting here

Quote from: gepree on November 29, 2018, 05:49:29 PM
According to Evolve Politics the woman vicar who appeared on BBC's Newsnight last Monday and Friday (19th and 23rd November 2018) and "declared her undying support for Theresa May's proposed Brexit deal":
Here she is on Newsnight:
Quotehttps://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1067189519609253889

but I agree, it really deserves it's own thread.

biggytitbo

I mentioned it in the Theresa May thread too. Absolutely amazing. I know they're saying the fact she's a bizarre racist fake vicar/actress is irrelevant to her appearance but surely they should do some basic checking on 'members of the public' beforehand?

pancreas

[tag]Hayters gonna hayte[/tag]

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 30, 2018, 12:00:15 PM
I mentioned it in the Theresa May thread too. Absolutely amazing. I know they're saying the fact she's a bizarre racist fake vicar/actress is irrelevant to her appearance but surely they should do some basic checking on 'members of the public' beforehand?

Quote from: Buelligan on November 30, 2018, 10:40:39 AM
Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 30, 2018, 09:56:57 AM
I think people should be aware of overreach, allowing a lady on your show and not vetting her vicar credentials is not the same as paying an actor to pretend to be a tory vicar.
No, it's not.  Nevertheless, Newsnight is a highly respected news source.  According to the Indie, this woman has appeared, as a panel member twice on the programme. 

I think it goes without saying that a broadcaster of this standing should not allow invited guests to prop themselves with dog collars, medals, judges wigs or any other accoutrement that lends gravitas or veracity to their pronouncements, without checking first what those items actually signify and making the answer clear to the viewer.  Any other course of action opens the programme up to charges of willfully misleading the audience (or being too lazy and incompetent to do their job).

I think, questions also need to be asked about how the guest lists for these invited panels are arrived at.  IMO, there's something decidedly iffy about a person like this, appearing twice on a Newsnight panel, both times wearing the dog collar without explanation (of the fact that she's not an actual vicar).  Laziness is the most generous explanation I can arrive at.

I'd be quite interested to know if she was paid for the appearances (and how much).

Quote from: Buelligan on November 30, 2018, 11:45:03 AM
Just wanted to add, if you listen to the clip, Ms Hayter repeats the word "faith" twice in her final sentence, Emily Matlis immediately picks up on that word and says
QuoteIt's probably quite reassuring, two years after (the) Referendum, to see that there's probably faith somewhere along the lines in the Parliamentary system.
I'm not saying this was intentional, but the conjuction of the false-vicar costume and that particular word prompts questions.  Does anyone else notice how people (politicians, broadcasters) sow their phrases with cue words (designed, IMO, to provoke or promote particular emotions, ideas or trains of thought)?  Just take a look at any leadership challenge Q&A or hustings speech by Andy Burnham if you want an example.  Count the number of times he says Leader.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buttgammon on November 30, 2018, 11:38:30 AM
I 'experimentally' watched Newsnight every night for a week recently and it got to Thursday before there was a Labour person on. For the first three nights, there were several debates consisting solely of Tory politicians, right-wing journalists and people from right-wing think tanks, and a brief interview with Vince Cable. Fuck the BBC.

Hell yeah!

Quote from: Buelligan on November 30, 2018, 12:03:58 PMJust take a look at any leadership challenge Q&A or hustings speech by Andy Burnham if you want an example.  Count the number of times he says Leader.

To be fair, Gary Glitter did the same thing and look how he's turned out.

One rule for the Westminster elite, another rule for creepy pop stars that prey on children.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on November 30, 2018, 12:03:58 PM
No, it's not.  Nevertheless, Newsnight is a highly respected news source.  According to the Indie, this woman has appeared, as a panel member twice on the programme. 

I think it goes without saying that a broadcaster of this standing should not allow invited guests to prop themselves with dog collars, medals, judges wigs or any other accoutrement that lends gravitas or veracity to their pronouncements, without checking first what those items actually signify and making the answer clear to the viewer.  Any other course of action opens the programme up to charges of willfully misleading the audience (or being too lazy and incompetent to do their job).

I think, questions also need to be asked about how the guest lists for these invited panels are arrived at.  IMO, there's something decidedly iffy about a person like this, appearing twice on a Newsnight panel, both times wearing the dog collar without explanation (of the fact that she's not an actual vicar).  Laziness is the most generous explanation I can arrive at.

I'd be quite interested to know if she was paid for the appearances (and how much).

I'm not saying this was intentional, but the conjuction of the false-vicar costume and that particular word prompts questions.  Does anyone else notice how people (politicians, broadcasters) sow their phrases with cue words (designed, IMO, to provoke or promote particular emotions, ideas or trains of thought)?  Just take a look at any leadership challenge Q&A or hustings speech by Andy Burnham if you want an example.  Count the number of times he says Leader.

There is no doubt that Newsnight and the BBC acted knowingly. Giving voice to these quasi-Koreshian, deranged, dangerous, sub-human scum is valid, I think, but framing them as rational and right-thinking people is not.

Buelligan

Apparently, this is an actual image of Rev Hayter ministering in the church she is a member of and here she is launching her Seeds for Wealth ministry on Youtube.  I can see how Newsnight researchers would have considered her to be a perfect reflection of your mainstream British human.

biggytitbo

Just look who Newsnight and BBC news generally hire - Laura Keunsberg, Andrew Neil, John Humphreys - the former news editor is now Theresa May's press secretary and Margaret Hodges' daughter is a top bod on the 6 o'clock news - its a revolving door of Oxbridge types and tories with a seething hatred of Corbyn, the left and anyone or anything that opposes establishment orthodoxy. There doesn't need to be any contrived plots of conspiracies when the place is stuffed to the gills with people who all think the same way to start with.

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 30, 2018, 12:44:17 PM
Just look who Newsnight and BBC news generally hire - Laura Keunsberg, Andrew Neil, John Humphreys - the former news editor is now Theresa May's press secretary and Margaret Hodges' daughter is a top bod on the 6 o'clock news - its a revolving door of Oxbridge types and tories with a seething hatred of Corbyn, the left and anyone or anything that opposes establishment orthodoxy. There doesn't need to be any contrived plots of conspiracies when the place is stuffed to the gills with people who all think the same way to start with.

I don't think the only story here is apparent bias, it's also an indictment of the pro-May-deal position, indicating that the only people backing it are either extremely atypical and rare or deeply invested.

biggytitbo

I'm not sure I buy the "they couldn't find anyone who supported Mays deal so had to get in a ringer" theory.

There'll be plenty of normal people who support it they could have got. If anything if you buy the deliberate conspiracy angle it goes against the pro May position having such a kook promoting it.

George Oscar Bluth II

It's all very odd but I'll 100% say there's no way they got in an actor. I think she's a legit crazy person who they shouldn't have let on.

As I said in the JC thread, the BBC's proposed "debate" with May over the deal is a far bigger outrage and a legit example of them working with Number 10 on stuff on a political level.

George Oscar Bluth II

Jim Waterson off of Buzzfeed:

QuoteNewsnight Vicar was booked by agency that supplies representative focus groups. She asked to wear a dog collar. Newsnight never otherwise said she was a reverend. Antidisestablishmentarianists in my mentions arguing only C of E vicars should be allowed to wear dog collars on BBC.

Now there's a problem. Should tghe BBC be outsourcing who gets to come on to an "agency"?

biggytitbo

Corbyn should definitely tell the BBC to shove their debate up their arses. You've lied about me for 2 years straight - fuck off.

Buelligan

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on November 30, 2018, 01:19:45 PM
Now there's a problem. Should tghe BBC be outsourcing who gets to come on to an "agency"?

It's an interesting question.  If you think about it another way, the BBC was arguably the most trusted news source on the whole goddam planet and it's rocketed down the rankings in the last ten years or so.  Why?  Is it possible, likely even, that individuals or groups inside and out of the Corporation have made it their business to kill trust? 

I think the other dear Oscar said something once about losing ones parents, I suppose the thought could be extended to Aunties.

biggytitbo

I think you can trace the BBC's decline back to Alistair Campbell blame-shifting Blairs warcrimes on them. They took such a punishing beating from those cunts that they have been institutionally terrified of stepping out of line ever since.

They were always establishment propaganda but the last 10 years or so the standards have slipped beyond belief.

Buelligan

In fairness though, and this is not the right thread for this conversation, Blair didn't do his war crimes because he's a naughty boy.  His war crimes were part of a bigger and longer-running playbook, where they not?  The Death of Truth could well be part of that.

biggytitbo

Yes, but the Blair government assault was the most thuggishly, viciously overt attack on a broadcaster I can ever remember. It left them kind of neutered.

Buelligan

I've always thought Blair was hand in wallet with Murdoch and killing the BBC would've suited them both down to the ground.  Still would.

NoSleep

I thought Blair and Murdoch fell out over Murdoch's wife? Has that all been forgiven?

BlodwynPig

The decline of humanity and decency thanks to Blair banging Murdoch's wife! You couldn't make it up.

Buelligan

I hate to be unkind, but let's be fair, given that she married him I'm sure Murdoch had a jolly good idea what sort of woman she was and what she was capable of, long before Blair smarmed on to the scene.

daf

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on November 30, 2018, 12:33:08 AM
a Brexiteer vicar on their panel the other night turned out to be an actor.

Mark:   Is it a fish?
Lard:    Is it a Fowl?
            Is it a guppy?
            No it's an owl
            Is it a Fowl?
            No it's a fish
            Don't be stupid, it's got horns!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 30, 2018, 01:37:33 AM
Oh, its so good. The BBC death knell sounding loud and true.

Out of genuine interest Blods, why do you dislike the BBC? It's not only because they cancelled Bergerac is it? ;)