Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best New Albums Of 2018

Started by jamiefairlie, November 30, 2018, 07:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 05, 2019, 11:58:16 AM
I just find them very dull on record. Nowt they've done really engages me to the point where I want to ever give it a second listen. I'd go and see them perform at the drop of a hat, though, as they were incredible when I saw them play Liverpool Psych Fest a couple of years back. Absolutely danced my arse off.

Yeah I'm the same. Loved Stereolab back in the day but time moves on and not so bothered about buying that type of thing these days.

Saw them in Ramsgate, probably on the same tour, and frugged away with a huge grin on my face all night. 

Remember that Turn On album from 1997? That was great.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: jobotic on January 05, 2019, 12:03:06 PM
Yeah I'm the same. Loved Stereolab back in the day but time moves on and not so bothered about buying that type of thing these days.

Aye don't get me wrong (and I'm not saying you're any different, but) I still absolutely adore Stereolab. "Mars Audiac Quintet" is probably the ultimate stoned album for me. Have a few tokes and get completely lost in the heavenly drone of the thing. Bliss. "Dots and Loops" and "Emperor Tomato Ketchup" are also undeniably marvellous.

CoAM just don't hit the same buttons for me, there's something missing. Motorik krautrock doesn't seem to be a genre that's particularly well emulated in the new millennium and almost always I'll find myself thinking "sod this, I'll just whack some Neu! on instead". It's the same argument of most stoner metal vs. Black Sabbath, and although with that I can see past the gripes and do actively enjoy a lot of stoner bands, I can completely empathise with the case against. You want to keep a pioneering sound alive and you want to push the envelope but you also don't want to deviate too far from what made it so great in the first place. But realistically are you ever gonna be better than Black Sabbath? Nah.

QuoteRemember that Turn On album from 1997? That was great.

I was not aware of this and I am enjoying it, thanks!

jobotic

Yeah you're not wrong. I sort of lost interest after Cobra and Phases, which I found a bit dull (last two songs aside, two of the best they've ever done). I bought that posh Sound Dust album but barely remember anything about it. I should sell it.

But still listen to the stuff I love regularly and still love it. Such an important band to me.

sardines

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 05, 2019, 11:58:16 AM
I just find them very dull on record. Nowt they've done really engages me to the point where I want to ever give it a second listen. I'd go and see them perform at the drop of a hat, though, as they were incredible when I saw them play Liverpool Psych Fest a couple of years back. Absolutely danced my arse off.

Generally agree with all of that but I think they nailed this album and it keeps giving more each time I listen.
Taking your point on not enjoying post-millenial kraut, I'm not sure I'll turn you around but the opener feels like a high point for that particular sound.

If anything though it is probably deceptive. The interesting stuff kicks in about halfway through - from 'Automatic Morning' and 'Feed Me Magnetic Rain' onwards, they start playing around with the formula. At one point there are even some lovely classic warm Warp-era sounds fed into the mix which make me grin like a bastard. None of it feels forced though, it is a very playful record.