Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:50:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Coping techniques

Started by Queneau, November 30, 2018, 05:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queneau

We all know that life is bullshit and pointless, right? What do you do as a way of coping or a way of escaping? I'm interested in your short or long term techniques. I'm not feeling great at present and don't really have any friends where I've recently moved so plan on getting drunk and watching a load of comedy films.

Usually, I take comfort in Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel & Hardy and Hancock's Half Hour. They are my go to things. Alcohol is another - I know it's not a long term fix or solution and seen by many as a way of avoiding problems. Hey, some times it is okay to avoid.

There are a few gaps in my comedy film knowledge so I have Play It Again, Sam and Tootsie lined up. Any other suggestions welcome.

Buelligan

I look at the things that I think are worrying me and realise they are nothing to do with me. 

I understand that all I can do is my best (and I do), after that, whatever happens will happen and I'll either live through it or I won't.  Really, fear, self-doubt, weakness, maybe too much ego, desire, these are our enemies, once you have them conquered or at least on a strong leash, the rest is piss easy.

QDRPHNC

You're starting from a flawed premise.

Cuellar

err repress things I think.

im barry bethel

Fresh air, then ask yourself what will be different in a days time and how can I influence it, if I can't then flush it out your head

I bake things. Things that can be made cheaply with the same set of ingredients. Simple cakes, banana loaf, gingerbread. I'm not good at it by any means, but getting on with it takes my mind off other things and you achieve a small thing at the end of it by having produced something. I don't even have a cookbook, I just find simple recipes online. I've been pretty ill recently over the last couple of months, which has led me to withdraw from the wider world a bit, and baking has really helped to fill up my time.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Tag /Wanking Thread / Tag

Earlier today, I went to the central office of the skool what I do work for, to make a mundane enquiry about something or other, and, upon hearing mine tones, a door opened behind the reception desk, and with a cry of " Lisa ! " I was beckoned into that office.
The beckoner was a person who I hadn't seen for a while, who made me a cup of tea, who said I was one of the best fucking workers in that organisation, who took photos of us both to send to a mutual acquaintance I hadn't seen for a while, who shared some top gossip with me, who made me laugh, and who I made laugh, who was fit as fuck, but that really is by the by, she could have looked like Peggy Mount or someone, I would still have enjoyed being in her company. The whole business lasted for about 45 minutes, and raised my spirits like nobody's business. You must know folk like this, Queneau. There's your coping mechanism, right there.

MoonDust

Binge watching Netflix, going to the pub, smoking, going for walks.

Basically nothing healthy for me, except going for walks.

Saying that I've not had a cigarette in nearly 3 weeks so that's a start in the right direction in terms of not using the above list as a coping mechanism. I've also agreed to buy a bike off a colleague who's leaving in January so maybe a nice bike ride will be a good replacement.

2019 here we come, etc.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Binge watching Netflix is another good one, yes.

hummingofevil

Not to sound flippant but seeking professional help if required is important as self-help or asking friends does not always necessarily generate helpful ideas, no matter how well-meaning.

If you mean how to shift the general feeling that the world is going to shit I would recommend cutting out all news and limiting internet use (including here).

If you have a lot of time on your hands learn to love really long walks 5-10miles. Take in some good scenery (maybe not the hills this time of year) and if you love booze finish at a pub. 3-4 hours of your life walking seems so much more satisfying and longer than same time pottering around house/endlessly refreshing BBC News. My change started when I realised instead of getting angry watching Question Time every week I could just go out for hour walk, listen to World Football Phone In from week before and feel happier (and get 3miles of exercise in too).

Also, really get into food and make something interesting for every meal and don't eat any convenience food. Even if it's just fried eggs and mackerel for breakfast it gives you a sense of achievement.

Lemming

Running a constant ongoing fictional universe in my head with consistent characters, world, backstory etc. The vast majority of the time, I take TV shows, movies and other fiction that I've seen, and then DRASTICALLY IMPROVE UPON IT by re-purposing the plots for my own universe and characters.

I also enjoy complaining. There's nothing more relaxing and uplifting than having a proper no-holds-barred gripe about something. Even better if you can complain to someone who's really uninterested in what you're saying and is visibly getting more bored and annoyed by the second.

MoonDust

Personally I try and get professional help if needed.

As for food, honestly, I like cooking a good meal but at the same time I hate the effort and end up eating pasta pretty much everyday. Need to snap out of that.

hummingofevil

For movies I've got quite into old Film Noir and they check in at less than 90 mins and are usually good fun at worst.

Also The Princess Bride obviously. You'll watch it twice mind

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I often think of how much time I and others must have spent worrying about stuff in the past that never really came to pass. Look at the Cold War - everyone afraid that they were going to wake up to a nuclear armageddon that never happened. What use was all the worry?

If you're just after some escapism, I think the therapeutic benefits of computer games are quite underrated. They can take up hours of your time and absorb your attention more than passive media can.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

So, to summarise, combination of:
-Netflix ( really enjoyed a looking after my sister's house for a few days earlier this year, watching entire seasons of " It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia ", " The Good Place ", and " Episodes" on her top telly.)
- Interacting with people who clearly appreciate you for the top person you obviously are, and make that clear.
- Good, long walks. Enjoy these myself, so I do. Getting a bit more difficult with the whole - 10 thing going on nowadays, mind you.
- pushing sailors into shop doorways ( top whimsical comedy- referencing last item ).

Watch some Adam Sandler, better than that old shite.

Emma Raducanu

What about a 1000 piece Jigsaw? I'm thinking of buying one.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Heroin
( only joking, readers ! )

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Constantly wanking over images of Jodie Comer, like that episode in " Killing Eve "where she's wearing those really smashing short denim shorts, and also those scenes where she's s in prison in Moscow, and she's s wearing that kind of Andy Capp's missus thing over her lovely, cascading hair, and she's in full prison uniform, and even those scenes where she's just done killed someone, and she's all covered in blood.

( Not entirely joking, readers ! )

Galeee

Spending some time with my dogs. The elder one sings when she's happy, and the younger one literally jumps for joy. The cause of the happiness can be me, walks, dinner, biscuit, games or cuddle. I can feel the oxytocin flooding in.. scientists tell us it's a two way thing.

bgmnts

Writing my own fictional diary entry logs.

hummingofevil

Yeah wanking. But like sex it's a very brief distraction. You should plan your wanks and look forward to them. I've never done used this technique but am going to start. Fancy a wank/pint? Go for a walk and earn it... "the things Im going to do you when I get in".

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Queneau on November 30, 2018, 05:07:03 PM
We all know that life is bullshit and pointless, right?

I don't think so, although bullshit and pointlessness are major ingredients.

QuoteWhat do you do as a way of coping or a way of escaping? I'm interested in your short or long term techniques.

Short term, same as you, more or less. Comedy, reading, a lot of music (mostly the music I got into in my teens, but related youtube videos have got me into new stuff). But also alcohol (good, but it's too much of a habit now) and way too much pointless fantasising.
Long term: too much pointless fantasising again. I think alcohol is fuelling that. It has to change.

QuoteI'm not feeling great at present and don't really have any friends where I've recently moved

Have you lost touch with Jimmy Greenhoff?     (I hope that made you laugh.)

so plan on getting drunk and watching a load of comedy films.

Usually, I take comfort in Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel & Hardy and Hancock's Half Hour. They are my go to things. Alcohol is another - I know it's not a long term fix or solution and seen by many as a way of avoiding problems. Hey, some times it is okay to avoid.

There are a few gaps in my comedy film knowledge so I have Play It Again, Sam and Tootsie lined up. Any other suggestions welcome.

My tastes seem to match yours. For what it's worth I rewatched The Odd Couple a couple of days ago, and it didn't half cheer me up.

Absorb the anus burn

Swimming.
Listening to obscure progressive rock LPs.
Campaigning for left wing causes.
Being generally silly.

Being herbed up most of the time, mindless physical toil and podcasts. Definitely not sustainable longterm, but it'll probably have to do until around the equinox. If therapy is considered to be a coping strategy then that, too.

Epic Bisto

Live in denial while stocking your house with books, a laptop full of podcasts plus blu-rays of Bat Pussy and Mad Foxes. Also, CBD oil, beta-blockers and a little bit of rum once in a while.

I am typing this whilst drowning in despair.

EDIT TO ADD: Lots of Hancock's Half Hour episodes are always a good thing to have. Have you got the big box with all the radio episodes on it? You'll cheer up after listening to "The Americans Hit Town" and "Anna & The King Of Siam".

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Musical Bs work for me - Beatles, Beach Boys, Bach. Life affirming.

Go for a drive somewhere quiet, find pub, have a slow pint, drive home.

Pie and peas from the chip shop.

ColinPopshed

Absolutely knacking myself out on a run.

Cooking something elaborate in the kitchen with just the downlights on, with a beer and Seinfeld running on the iPad.

Looking at all the dickheads in the world and realizing I'll always be better than that.

MuteBanana

Imgur, Youtube, binge watching ridiculously long US tv series and booze.