Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:50:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs

Started by Ja'moke, November 30, 2018, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Earl Sweatshirt, depressive word scrambler, is back with a new album after three years away. It's a bit bloody good! Short, skittish and effective. Lots of dusty looped-samples with the hisses and crackling of old records. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good trap beat and Migos adlib as much as the next guy, but it's refreshing to hear this kind of hip-hop in the era of polished, hand-clapping beats.

Nowhere2go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCceUo94X1g

The Bends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj2D0lNF40U

Gregory Torso

I like those sounds. Time bent and crushed. I'm not a massive Ty/OFWGKTA fan, but Doris is a masterpiece, and if this is anywhere as good as that then.. yar. Sounding deke.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Gregory Torso on November 30, 2018, 08:54:04 PM
I like those sounds. Time bent and crushed. I'm not a massive Ty/OFWGKTA fan, but Doris is a masterpiece, and if this is anywhere as good as that then.. yar. Sounding deke.

I think all those Odd Future guys have pretty much moved away from their early sound and style, and for the better. Tyler's Flower Boy last year was just a really beautiful record, imagine saying that about a Tyler the Creator album in like, 2011.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 01, 2018, 12:13:54 AM
I think all those Odd Future guys have pretty much moved away from their early sound and style, and for the better. Tyler's Flower Boy last year was just a really beautiful record, imagine saying that about a Tyler the Creator album in like, 2011.

I'll have to give that a listen. The whole edgy teenage "raping bitches" thing got tired very quickly.

alan nagsworth

This album is fucking remarkable, shot right up my list to being one of the best things I've heard this year. When it dropped, I was functioning on a four hours sleep with a severe hangover and I listened to it on a packed 8am rush hour tube train. Despite all of that hassle, I could not stop grinning at this thing.  Listened to it about four times through during the day and it bent my brain a little bit more each time.

He's been hanging/collaborating with the wonderfully talented MIKE and it really shows here. This woozy dreamlike slur of songs that start as abruptly as they end and challenge the listener, with off-kilter loops, and vocals pushed back in the mix, it really is perplexing and brilliant.

I think its 24 minute runtime is probably suitable over something more dragged out, as it does exactly what it needs to do in that time and it keeps you clamouring for another spin once it's done. I'm not a product of hype and I've never been all that invested in Earl's music before (wrong place, wrong time, I'd wager) but this hooked me straight away. "Jazz rap" has existed as a genre long before this, but this is pushing the envelope even further into the abstract and I absolutely love it. What a talent. And the cunt's only 24, for fucks sake.

Z

Haven't heard this yet but even the glowing reviews seem to suggest it's not that different to I Don't Like Shit...? I really liked that album so that's not an issue for me, I'm just confused as to why this one is being received so much more positively

Bhazor

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Z on December 02, 2018, 09:42:31 AM
Haven't heard this yet but even the glowing reviews seem to suggest it's not that different to I Don't Like Shit...? I really liked that album so that's not an issue for me, I'm just confused as to why this one is being received so much more positively

They 'should' like it more than they 'do' like it cos it's weird/abstract and sounds woefully produced.

up_the_hampipe

This was an interesting bunch of noise. I was quite hooked by it.

Malcy

Seen this is only 25 mins long. Is it another Kanye infected album?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Z on December 02, 2018, 09:42:31 AM

It's quite a bit different from IDLS, which, while still moody and lo-fi, is much more traditionally hip-hop. As in, the song's have a recognisable structure. Some Rap Songs is a lot more abstract, noisy and distorted. A lot of the songs barely go over a minute long.