Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:09:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Strawberry Fields Forever

Started by kalowski, December 01, 2018, 09:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

When's the last time you listened to it? Listen to it again, now. No matter how good you think it is, it's better than that. It's bloody amazing. I love how it still if that time where the single was more important than the album (than Sgt. Pepper!), And I love the sound of it. You can hear the air around Lennon, here his position in the room. And then the second phase makes everything more dense and dramatic.

I know I don't write well about music, I can't always describe the feeling it brings, but by Christ I know how much I love it.

biggytitbo

When they filmed that brilliant video for Strawberry Fields, George was 23, Paul was 24 and John and Ringo were 26. Amazing really.

rue the polywhirl

Not really. George was born 1943, Paul 1942 and John and Ringo in 1940. All adds up. And the song is only 4 minutes long, not exactly forever so I feel a bit short-changed by it every time.

Norton Canes

kalowski

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 01, 2018, 09:45:06 PM
When they filmed that brilliant video for Strawberry Fields, George was 23, Paul was 24 and John and Ringo were 26. Amazing really.
Fucking hell. I'd had a proper job for a year at 26. I think I still lived with my dad.

Replies From View

Quote from: kalowski on December 01, 2018, 10:46:31 PM
Fucking hell. I'd had a proper job for a year at 26. I think I still lived with my dad.

The Beatles never even had a proper job though.  Just pissing about with guitars an that.

Avril Lavigne

I just watched the video for Strawberry Fields for the first time ever, quite liked it but from about 3.36 on it's fucking horrible.

kalowski

Quote from: Replies From View on December 01, 2018, 10:50:36 PM
The Beatles never even had a proper job though.  Just pissing about with guitars an that.
True. But pissing about quite successfully. I got a 2:2 and a shed load of dept.

famethrowa

Yes it's brilliant. Wonder if anyone noticed the famous edit before reading about it? I certainly didn't.

biggytitbo

Doesn't John idly tinker on a piano a proto version of Strawberry fields in some film circa about 1964? I don't think its Hard Days Night, but something around that time? Or have I imagined it?

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 01, 2018, 11:01:23 PM
Doesn't John idly tinker on a piano a proto version of Strawberry fields in some film circa about 1964? I don't think its Hard Days Night, but something around that time? Or have I imagined it?

It's from the Maysles film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcoaOXNK4ME

Replies From View

Quote from: famethrowa on December 01, 2018, 10:55:54 PM
Yes it's brilliant. Wonder if anyone noticed the famous edit before reading about it? I certainly didn't.

Perhaps bizarrely, I didn't actually hear Strawberry Fields Forever until the Anthology versions, so I wasn't in a position to experience the edit before I knew about it.

I have wondered sometimes whether I'd have noticed the join if I'd heard the original version 'cold'.

BlodwynPig

Horrible piece of songwriting. Can't even drag any emotion from the mellotron.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Replies From View on December 01, 2018, 10:50:36 PM

And catching STDs in Germany, same as Hitler.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on December 02, 2018, 01:07:10 AM
And catching STDs in Germany, same as Hitler.

And compared with Hitler the Beatles didn't even have a decent logo at that point.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 02, 2018, 12:52:36 AM

Bingo! Don't ever change, Blodders.

kalowski

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 02, 2018, 12:52:36 AM
I think you're listening to it wrong.

a duncandisorderly

it's the "stairway to heaven" of mellotron.
whenever I've rented out my elderly M400 to a studio & gone along with it, it's the first fucking thing everyone tries to play.

it's the sound of smack, to me. lennon withdrawing from the world. the double-A with 'penny lane' is where people go to stand & point & say they can tell that lennon & mccartney were poles apart by this time, which is bollocks. they were on different drugs, is all.

what that single is missing is a george song... 'northern song', maybe.

nedthemumbler

Something About the Beatles podcast is worth a go if you are into really in depth discussion/raking over of the Four's life and work. 

ajsmith2

The real video is very good, but I have to admit I still prefer the animated version from the Beatles cartoon series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inh7A5pdtVw

studpuppet

Quote from: nedthemumbler on December 02, 2018, 10:10:24 AM
Something About the Beatles podcast is worth a go if you are into really in depth discussion/raking over of the Four's life and work.

And Fabcast - they're annoyingly American, but very knowledgable about the post-Beatles seventies, especially the Capitol settlement in which McCartney got a little bit more royalties than the others and they didn't find out until the eighties. I think one was a Capitol employee during the period so there's interesting info about Capitol/EMI's perceptions of their solo careers at the time.

Replies From View

Quote from: ajsmith2 on December 02, 2018, 11:23:25 AM
The real video is very good, but I have to admit I still prefer the animated version from the Beatles cartoon series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inh7A5pdtVw

"Misunderstanding all you see..." (boy is suddenly dressed as a clown)

The whole video of muddy trenches and abandoned playgrounds being enlivened by fantasy and delusion reminds me of that cartoon with the fox who gives a mole some glasses so that he can see his fairytale castle in the distance is just a rubbish dump.  You know those old pianos.

Weirdly, that Strawberry Fields Forever animation doesn't use the final version of the song, but an earlier, simpler take that doesn't segue into the brass and backwards drums version.  Which is interesting.

SpiderChrist

My favourite Beatles tune. Kept off the number one slot by this cunt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOcW9gZv68A

Replies From View

Quote from: SpiderChrist on December 02, 2018, 12:33:40 PM
My favourite Beatles tune. Kept off the number one slot by this cunt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOcW9gZv68A

I always think of Eddie Izzard when I'm reminded about Englebedank Humptiback.

Phil_A

Quote from: Replies From View on December 02, 2018, 12:25:49 PM
"Misunderstanding all you see..." (boy is suddenly dressed as a clown)

The whole video of muddy trenches and abandoned playgrounds being enlivened by fantasy and delusion reminds me of that cartoon with the fox who gives a mole some glasses so that he can see his fairytale castle in the distance is just a rubbish dump.  You know those old pianos.

Weirdly, that Strawberry Fields Forever animation doesn't use the final version of the song, but an earlier, simpler take that doesn't segue into the brass and backwards drums version.  Which is interesting.

Yes definitely an early take, no double-tracked vocal or orchestral parts at all added at that point.

It sounds very close to Take 4 from the reissued Pepper, but I don't think it is, as there's a very noticeable fluff at 1.53 in the cartoon version that's not on that take. Also whoever was playing the solo towards the end completely messes up which isn't the case on Take 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPsFJ173-1U

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Phil_A on December 02, 2018, 01:08:15 PM
Yes definitely an early take, no double-tracked vocal or orchestral parts at all added at that point.

It sounds very close to Take 4 from the reissued Pepper, but I don't think it is, as there's a very noticeable fluff at 1.53 in the cartoon version that's not on that take. Also whoever was playing the solo towards the end completely messes up which isn't the case on Take 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPsFJ173-1U

I've got a pile of those yellow dog bootlegs, one of which is about seventeen takes of SF & nothing else. it'll be a drudge, but I might be able to work out which of the earlier takes was complete enough to be used for the cartoon promo....

Steve Turner's book Beatles '66 has a good section on how the song was written while John was in Spain, including a photo of him doing the demo you hear on Anthology 3. Originally had different lyrics. I prefer the non-orchestral takes myself, like the Anthology 3 one that just ends with the Mellotron.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 02, 2018, 04:49:46 AM
Bingo! Don't ever change, Blodders.

I respect your opinion on the matter ;) Because I am tolerant like that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kalowski on December 02, 2018, 07:15:50 AM
I think you're listening to it wrong.

Why CAN YOU PEOPLE not countenance that someone dislikes the Beatles.

kngen

The 2015 Sterero Mix on Disc 2 of last year's Sgt Pepper's reissue is something else - heavy as fuck and brings out a real nasty edge to it that I'd never really noticed before.