Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:33:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Interesting Things That You Know What You'd Like To Share On CaB

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, December 02, 2018, 04:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The Slovak word for " cunt " is " yep ".
The Slovak word for " bullshit " is " lino ".
The Slovak ( and, to an extent, Czech and Russian ) phrase for " five beers " sounds like " pet peeve ".
The Estonian phrase for 12 months sounds more or less like " cocks taste good ".
The Vietnamese phrase for a tasty sandwich, full of ham and that, what you can buy from a street vendor , sounds like " bang me " in English.
The Russian word for train station is directly related to Vauxhall, that place in London.
Dogs can't look up.
Dogs can never believe that things will look up, because they're such miserable fucking cunts. I mean, I know cats look like miserable cunts as well, but at least they'll indicate when they're not being quite so fucked off about things by purring, won't they ? There's no canine equivalent of purring. Maybe dogs will pant a bit, or get a hard on when they're a bit pleased about something, but, fucking Hell, that's a fucking stupid way to show you're happy. Fuck's sake, dogs are stupid cunts. Fucking state of 'em.
I had at least one girlfriend who said I was really fucking clever, bit of a shame about the miniscule cock and the fucking terrible shagging which made Will in that episode of " The Inbetweeners " where he has a go at shagging Kate Robbins' daughter look like a red- hot combination of Casanova, Warren Beatty and Robin Askwith in the " Confessions " films.

Interesting stuff, eh ?
Post your interesting things in this 'ere thread.

katzenjammer

I read the other day (on reddit probably) that the word 'bear' just means 'the brown one'.  There used to be another word but silly old superstitious people were too afraid to use it believing it would conjure up the brown one who would eat them.  Or something like that.

https://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/bearetymologyslovakenglishwelsh.html

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: katzenjammer on December 02, 2018, 05:34:02 PM
I read the other day (on reddit probably) that the word 'bear'...

I remember that coming up in an episode of QI.  Probably about 50% of r/todayilearned could be renamed "I just learned this from an episode of QI".

Pingers

There are loads of Danish terms for 'thank you'. But no direct equivalent of 'please'. It's like they've made up for the lack of one with a glut of the other. Tusind tak.

Norton Canes

Did you know that you've got four miles of tubing in your stomach?

Pingers

Something I learned at work a while ago: if you have a history of firearms offences and you threaten to kill your psychiatrist's family, you will go straight to Rampton on a Section 3.

Twit 2

Pseudopath

Did you know that if you took every vein, artery and capillary from a human body and laid them in a straight line, you'd end up in Broadmoor?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Did you know that the female gibbon gestates for fourteen months?

BlodwynPig

garnish

Did you know that there was no one around to watch when Jesus spent 40 days in the desert being tempted to eat rocks so we don't really know what happened.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: garnish on December 04, 2018, 12:05:12 AM
Did you know that there was no one around to watch when Jesus spent 40 days in the desert being tempted to eat rocks so we don't really know what happened.

A fair amount of keepy-uppy, some of it allegorical.

BlodwynPig

Buelligan

I was talking to a herpetoculturist yesterday, who told me that injured snakes (I didn't ask if it was all snakes, which I should have done), excrete a toxin into their own bodies from the site of an injury.  If the snake is only mildly damaged, the amount is negligible and the snake survives.  If the injury is profound, far more toxin is manufactured and the snake quickly dies.  Like a sort of evolved and natural mercy-killing.  I have no evidence that it's true but if it is, it's incredible.

hedgehog90

I suffer a bit from psychogenic urinary retention, otherwise known as pee-shyness.
Recently I worked out a simple trick to overcome it whenever it happens, and it's so effective I thought I'd share it with you all.
You know how musicians count-in a song before it starts to get the timing? I just do that in my head to a song that I'm familiar with, and without fail on the following beat when the music starts a stream of piss emerges (from my cock).
The one I've been using recently is the intro to DJ Shadow's Number Song, and if I'm in a hurry then any Ramones song 'll do.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on December 04, 2018, 10:39:15 AM
I was talking to a herpetoculturist yesterday, who told me that injured snakes (I didn't ask if it was all snakes, which I should have done), excrete a toxin into their own bodies from the site of an injury.  If the snake is only mildly damaged, the amount is negligible and the snake survives.  If the injury is profound, far more toxin is manufactured and the snake quickly dies.  Like a sort of evolved and natural mercy-killing.  I have no evidence that it's true but if it is, it's incredible.

I too release a toxic sticky substance when I'm in pain. "See you at the club again, master?"

Today, looking at a calendar in Spanish which showed phases of the moon, I saw that a waxing crescent is called creciente but a waning crescent has a different name: menguante. And then I realised that the root of the word 'crescent' is not to do with its shape, but just means 'growing' (crecer in Spanish means 'to grow').

Dex Sawash

Fuck my hat, crescendo prolly comes from same place too (but Italian)

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 06, 2018, 11:48:18 AM

The word "waxing" in this context is cognate with the German word "wachsen", which means "to grow".

Buelligan

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 06, 2018, 11:48:18 AM

Crescere.  Something the Romans did for us.

Neville Chamberlain

Buelligan

Croissants are supposed to be dodgy anti-Islamic breakfast pastries, I believe.

Edit to add:  Thankfully it all seems to be a bit of a tall tale.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croissant#Culinary_legends

pancreas

Twit 2

Quote from: Darles Chickens on December 06, 2018, 11:22:25 AM
Today, looking at a calendar in Spanish which showed phases of the moon, I saw that a waxing crescent is called creciente but a waning crescent has a different name: menguante. And then I realised that the root of the word 'crescent' is not to do with its shape, but just means 'growing' (crecer in Spanish means 'to grow').

And this is also the reason why 'reach a crescendo' is such an appalling mistake to make.

Icehaven

This is fairly well-known already I expect (in fact we had a discussion about it on here a while ago) but the expression ''This is where we came in'' is from when films were played on a loop in cinemas and it was totally normal to go in halfway through and watch to the end, then from the start and leave at the point you came in. Don and Peggy used to do it on Mad Men all the time but I just thought they were late. Still can't believe it wasn't film-ruiningly annoying but the past is another country.