Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Flutes are for cunts

Started by MuteBanana, December 02, 2018, 09:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliggg

Gregory Torso

Flutes are horizontal. That's some kind of a magic whistle that charms eels.

BlodwynPig

*Ian Anderson hops out of thread covering his groin with a merkin*

BlodwynPig

Sin Agog

I remember being a bit grossed out looking through the credits of an obscure psyche relic by a band called Synanthesia and finding out that one of the main instruments was a 'nose flute.' Might as well be called a snot flute, I thought.  But they're actually alright.  Bit more on the twee/effete end of the '60s psyche spectrum, alongside the UK Kaleidoscope, but still OK.  https://youtu.be/eMTr-LlcfbY

By the way, if you ever see a transgender flautist (and occasional piccolo player) busking in the London Underground, that's my aunt Lenora.

famethrowa

Who played the flute at the start of Baker St?

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 02, 2018, 11:26:37 PM
I remember being a bit grossed out looking through the credits of an obscure psyche relic by a band called Synanthesia and finding out that one of the main instruments was a 'nose flute.'

The Men They Couldn't Hang have listed "Tibetan anus flute" among their portfolio of instruments used.

DrGreggles

buzby

Quote from: famethrowa on December 03, 2018, 01:47:55 AM
Who played the flute at the start of Baker St?
It wasn't a flute - it's a Minimoog played by session keyboard player and arranger Tommy Eyre (as seen in the video). He later went on to be musical director for Wham!, and was often seen on TOTP with them (the Noel Edmonds lookalike behind a Roland Juno 60 or Yamaha DX7)

Stoneage Dinosaurs

[tag]American Pie script editors consider re-write [/tag]

greenman

Miles Davis's half hour long Duke Ellington tribute, He Loved Him Madly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QStHqvwAOo

Flute's about 13 mins in.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 02, 2018, 11:26:37 PM
I remember being a bit grossed out looking through the credits of an obscure psyche relic by a band called Synanthesia and finding out that one of the main instruments was a 'nose flute.'

ASFTSN

Flutes are one of the greatest instruments. Imagine prog without flutes? I'd have to bloody kill myself.

famethrowa

Quote from: buzby on December 03, 2018, 08:26:26 AM
It wasn't a flute - it's a Minimoog played by session keyboard player and arranger Tommy Eyre (as seen in the video). He later went on to be musical director for Wham!, and was often seen on TOTP with them (the Noel Edmonds lookalike behind a Roland Juno 60 or Yamaha DX7)

ahem, the correct answer should have been "some cunt"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: ASFTSN on December 03, 2018, 10:28:30 AM
Flutes are one of the greatest instruments. Imagine prog without flutes? I'd have to bloody kill myself.

Years ago I compiled a list of best prog tunes featuring saxophone or flute or bassoon or crumhorn. Loads of them, not all Jethro Tull or Gryphon.

BlodwynPig

Best use of flute in music

I'll let you do the discovering (his solo work).

Mr Banlon

chveik

nedthemumbler

Depends how many feet you are standing on surely.

mojo filters

I'm a bit ambivalent here. As a youngster, I'd have probably just said flutes are for girls - as I don't remember any male flautists in any of the orchestras and other ensembles I played in.

As a violinist, guitarist and pianist, I did envy those folks who played smaller instruments that could be more easily carried around without drawing such obvious attention.

I love classic Tull, right up to Songs From The Wood, The Whistler etc. Never really cared for anything after that, though admittedly I've not listened to anything Ian Anderson has done recently.

Around 25 years ago I went to see Tull on tour, with a friend who shared the same taste for the classics. Now I realised we were unlikely to get something truly great like the full live rendition of Thick As A Brick (I actually prefer the MSG recording to the original) but the *only* fucking tune they played we even knew was Aqualung...which thoughtfully came just after Anderson announced it was the last song before the interval - cue a truckload of thoughtless folks disturbing it by rushing to queue at the bar!

I did find some redeeming flute features during Alyson Hannigan's star turn in American Pie. I guess I was always predisposed towards her, as she was always my favourite Scooby from Buffy - even if her character's plot got rather grim and less endearing after the glorious musical epic Once More With Feeling in season 6.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: buzby on December 03, 2018, 08:26:26 AM

The same Tommy Eyre who played keyboards on The Sensational Alex Harvey Band's Rock Drill?

buzby

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on December 03, 2018, 04:05:08 PM
The same Tommy Eyre who played keyboards on The Sensational Alex Harvey Band's Rock Drill?
Yes, and on The Mafia Stole My Guitar. His most famous contribution was the organ on Joe Cocker's cover of With A Little Help From My Friends.

jobotic

This a flute solo. yes? It's lovely, if brief.

Incredible String Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoQ3tmohEX4&start_radio=1&list=RDUoQ3tmohEX4#t=167

So's the "human flute" in this (at 2:57)

Aldous Harding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szSWZojgos

olliebean

Quote from: jobotic on December 03, 2018, 10:46:33 PM
This a flute solo. yes? It's lovely, if brief.

Incredible String Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoQ3tmohEX4&start_radio=1&list=RDUoQ3tmohEX4#t=167

Sounds more like a recorder to me. Definitely not a flute.

buzby

Quote from: olliebean on December 03, 2018, 11:01:23 PM
Sounds more like a recorder to me. Definitely not a flute.
It's credited as a flute (played by Robin Williamson) on the album sleevenotes.