Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Advent calendars

Started by im barry bethel, December 03, 2018, 09:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tookish

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on December 07, 2018, 01:47:57 AM
Thorntons really turned to shit about 10 years ago or so. Up until then their offerings were a step up from run of the chocolates such as Roses, Quality St etc. Now, its all sugary vile shit, an affront to the discerning palate.

Well! That's me told.

Blumf

https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/05/man-creates-advent-calendar-with-a-fray-bentos-pie-behind-each-door-for-his-girlfriend-8212912/

Diamonds are a girl's best friend, but pies are pretty good too.

Nikki Barton, 38, was surprised and presumably baffled to receive an advent calendar with a Fray Bentos pie behind each door from her doting boyfriend Nigel Canning, 37.

The unusual festive offering took two months to put together and comes with a different meat pie per day- and a bonus two steak puddings on Christmas Day.

Not sure if you'd end up bunged up, or squitting through the eye of a needle by the 25th

Captain Crunch

Superb!  What a lucky lady I bet she was thrilled and – hang on, two months?!  Is it made from matchsticks or something? 

Icehaven

Quote from: imitationleather on December 07, 2018, 03:43:13 AM
Lovehoney did a sex toy one for about two hundred quid.

Wouldn't it have to be, ahem, massive too?

Icehaven

Quote from: Captain Crunch on December 08, 2018, 04:30:26 PM
Superb!  What a lucky lady I bet she was thrilled and – hang on, two months?!  Is it made from matchsticks or something?

Presumably he was too embarassed to buy multiple Fray Bentos in one go, never mind 25 so had to spread the purchases out across time and space.
I have further questions though, shouldn't they be kept in the fridge? Are they already cooked? Either way they should be kept chilled surely.

Edit: Sorry I looked properly now and can see they're the canned ones. Are there 25 different kinds then?

Brian Freeze

Maybe it took two months because he kept scoffing them and having to restock.

I had my first Fray Bentos in over ten years this week. It was ok as emergency food that's all. Not worth building a mahoosive box for two dozen of them in my opinion.

Cloud

Quote from: imitationleather on December 07, 2018, 03:43:13 AM
Lovehoney did a sex toy one for about two hundred quid. Just imagine the degenerates who bought that.

Yes, quite.

Do they still do it?  Asking for a friend.

king_tubby

Hang on, 25 pies? An advent calendar should only have 24 days, for fuck's sake. Cos the 25th is Jesus's fucking birthday, show some fucking respect.

St_Eddie

Quote from: king_tubby on December 08, 2018, 08:41:45 PM
Hang on, 25 pies? An advent calendar should only have 24 days, for fuck's sake. Cos they 25th is Jesus's fucking birthday, show some fucking respect.

Nowt more respectful than wolfing down a Fray Bentos pie, in memory of our Lord and Saviour, Fray Bentos.

Blue Jam

Quote from: icehaven on December 08, 2018, 04:49:14 PM
I have further questions though, shouldn't they be kept in the fridge? Are they already cooked? Either way they should be kept chilled surely.

Nope, Fray Bentos pies are kept with the canned goods at ambient temperature, that's how very wrong they are.

Captain Crunch

Fray Bentos is about more than just pies.  There's meaty suet puds, snack bowls and meatballs too.  I'm guessing he might have sourced some of the old 'footy' pies too for a bit of variety.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Captain Crunch on December 09, 2018, 12:53:22 AM
Fray Bentos is about more than just pies.

Indeed, it's a way of life.

steve98

I've never owned a can-opener with the heft to negotiate the vast circumference of the Fray Bentos Puff Pastry Pies (Can-openers can fuck off)

imitationleather

I've got a lot of happy memories of eating Fray Bentos pies as a cockney street urchin in the past.

When I die, I would appreciate it if you could all arrange for me to be buried in the city of Fray Bentos in Uruguay. It's what I would have wanted.

St_Eddie

Quote from: imitationleather on December 09, 2018, 06:28:43 PM
When I die, I would appreciate it if you could all arrange for me to be buried in the city of Fray Bentos in Uruguay. It's what I would have wanted.

Who are you, to speak on your behalf?

im barry bethel

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 08, 2018, 09:39:03 PM
Nope, Fray Bentos pies are kept with the canned goods at ambient temperature, that's how very wrong glorious they are.

Expectantly opened Quality Street door No.10 only to find there was nothing there

seepage

Quote from: im barry bethel on December 10, 2018, 09:06:40 AM
Expectantly opened Quality Street door No.10 only to find there was nothing there

satire, yeeess!

king_tubby

So tired I opened 18 this morning instead of 17.

That's it, cursed for seven years and a day now. By Jesus.

Haribo update; I don't know why they shot their bolt so early with the big stocking jelly. It's just been reruns ever since, peppered with Moam Bloxx and Pinballs, a sour winter mix and a horrible waxy lemon string thing. I shouldn't really moan as there's more variety here than in most calendars, but, once you go big like that, you can't reasonably expect people to be happy with bog standard Haribo.

shiftwork2

I had a Lindt one that I finished on the 3rd.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 17, 2018, 09:46:25 AM
Haribo update; I don't know why they shot their bolt so early with the big stocking jelly Nikolausstiefel 12g. It's just been reruns ever since

Still that Tannenbaum at 18 grams to go

Quote from: im barry bethel on December 17, 2018, 10:16:24 AM
Still that Tannenbaum at 18 grams to go

I've seen the big door on the 24th... I fucking live for that door.