Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:25:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

So... Them French Protests, eh?

Started by Blumf, December 03, 2018, 11:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

I'm well aware at this point and all my actions have been taken with this in mind.

It's all for you, Blodwyn! It's all for you!

manticore

Quote from: chveik on December 08, 2018, 09:42:29 PM
who did you like?

Les evenements, as indicated. Only six at the time mind you, but I bet I stared at the television and the students and strikers facing off with the riot police and thought, good golly, this is more exciting than The Wheel in Space. And I know which side I'm on.

Fucking hopeless mess this time. I blame Depardieu. No, Foucault. One of the two anyway.

Quote from: Kryton on December 08, 2018, 09:56:34 PM
France has a history of Russian/Soviet/KGB agents doing things.The Russians have had infiltrators up to Presidency level at some points.

So have the Israelis.

biggytitbo

The blue tick prongs are really going into overdrive with their latest Russia conspiracy

By hackers she does of course mean people on twitter talking about an international news story. And of course France has no history of protest and literally no real reason to take to the streets this time, only doing so because they were manipulated by some random people on twitter.

DeadBishop

You spend way too much time arguing against twitter cranks who aren't even talking to you fella.

Hank Venture

Maximum Boot, why is he still listened by anyone?

biggytitbo

It's important because the utility of anti Russia conspiracy theories to the political establishment as a way of denigrating all manner of things they don't like - the left, wrong elections results, anti war campaigners etc, is pure propaganda and should be resisted at all costs.

not every politics thread needs to be a "lol at some obscure blue check libs obsessing about Russia" thread

biggytitbo

It's becoming one of the overriding narratives of western politics but feel free to talk about some other aspect of the story, I'm not stopping you!

DeadBishop

I'm not disagreeing with you about the flimsiness of the "Russia done it" kneejerk response, just questioning why, on any given issue, your MO is to repost some fringe bellend on twitter blaming nebulous "Russian trolls" with the addendum of some snarky comment.

To be more productive, discussion-wise: can any of you more clued in to French politics types tell me where Daniel Cohn-Bendit figures in the national political conversation? I'd not heard of him until a recent interview with the Guardian, but from what I gather he's seen as something of a figurehead of the '68 protests, may have had some dodgy far left political connections in Germany, definitely seems to think paedophilia is a bit of a laugh, and has long since traded in his avowed anarchism for an anodyne, centre-left, pro-EU environmentalism. I'm sort of instantly fascinated by him in a this guy sums up the cuntiness of a generation sort of way, but I could well be wide of the mark. His interview about the gilets jaunes, and the unnerving quality of the far-right element within the movement, seems fairly on the money, but I'd like to know who he is to the average Jean.

biggytitbo

They're not fringe bellends, although they are bellends. These are big name journalists in the msm, prominent people at think tanks, politicians and various other people with a lot of influence.

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 09, 2018, 11:12:49 AM
It's becoming one of the overriding narratives of western politics but feel free to talk about some other aspect of the story, I'm not stopping you!

its already taken up too much space in this thread. you don't need to post every tweet you find

Johnny Yesno

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 09, 2018, 10:40:23 AM
The blue tick prongs are really going into overdrive with their latest Russia conspiracy

By hackers she does of course mean people on twitter talking about an international news story. And of course France has no history of protest and literally no real reason to take to the streets this time, only doing so because they were manipulated by some random people on twitter.

thankfully she got ripped a THIRD ARSEHOLE in the replies. Science correspondent, stick to that Garrett.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DeadBishop on December 09, 2018, 10:45:07 AM
You spend way too much time arguing against twitter cranks who aren't even talking to you fella.

It's completely valid. If you let these cranks have their way, they'll be calling you a BOT in no time.

just seems like cranks flinging shit at other cranks. every fucking thread becomes a Russia or brexit thing. it's myopic and extremely boring

Buelligan

The weird thing is that most of the people arguing about it on all sides actually kno bugger-all about it.  They're just taking their traditional stances on the basis of tradition.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 09, 2018, 03:44:01 PM
just seems like cranks flinging shit at other cranks. every fucking thread becomes a Russia or brexit thing. it's myopic and extremely boring

Well it may be boring, but some of us feel that this shit needs to highlighted and challenged wherever possible. It seeps into societal consciousness like a leaky nappy in ball pool. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on December 09, 2018, 03:47:04 PM
The weird thing is that most of the people arguing about it on all sides actually kno bugger-all about it.  They're just taking their traditional stances on the basis of tradition.

Or outrage.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 09, 2018, 03:47:55 PM
Well it may be boring, but some of us feel that this shit needs to highlighted and challenged wherever possible. It seeps into societal consciousness like a leaky nappy in ball pool.

some people here really don't seem to understand the difference between 'doing politics' and 'posting'

biggytitbo

It's them that want to make everything about Russia, and not some fringe cranks but vast NATO think tanks, the msm and prominent politicians and journalists. It's become the defining, and very self serving, paranoia of our age - what are we supposed to do, just pretend its not happening?

No we're supposed to screenshot and post every fuckwit liberal on twitter who makes even a passing reference to it on every page of every single fucking thread because there's no other pertinent context to anything and we're doing God's work by making the same points over and over again in the politics threads on a comedy forum

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 09, 2018, 04:10:12 PM
No we're supposed to screenshot and post every fuckwit liberal on twitter who makes even a passing reference to it on every page of every single fucking thread because there's no other pertinent context to anything and we're doing God's work by making the same points over and over again in the politics threads on a comedy forum

Fight fire with ire.

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 09, 2018, 04:06:37 PM

It's them that want to make everything about Russia, and not some fringe cranks but vast NATO think tanks, the msm and prominent politicians and journalists. It's become the defining, and very self serving, paranoia of our age - what are we supposed to do, just pretend its not happening?

FWIW bigs, I believe Russia spends significant time and money actively planning and working hard towards the downfall of western European society.  I think the US does the same and Israel and China and shitloads of other states to a greater or lesser degree.  I think Britain and France and all the rest do it right back.  Sometimes one lot puts in more effort, sometimes another.  Why would anyone think anything else?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on December 09, 2018, 04:13:45 PM
FWIW bigs, I believe Russia spends significant time and money actively planning and working hard towards the downfall of western European society.  I think the US does the same and Israel and China and shitloads of other states to a greater or lesser degree.  I think Britain and France and all the rest do it right back.  Sometimes one lot puts in more effort, sometimes another.  Why would anyone think anything else?

*shrugs*?

Ferris

Twitter is massive. Law of large numbers. I bet I could find thousands of people (some with blue ticks) tweeting that these protests are the result of a flat earth. I don't think I'd post those fringe views on here as proof of a global flat earth conspiracy orchestrated by the media.

It's because millions of people are banging millions of drums. You are seeking one drumbeat out, then posting the offending tweets from people I've literally never heard of as proof that you've seen through it all. Nobody mentioned Russia in this thread until you went looking for it on twitter.

I came to read about people's takes on these protests, but instead I'm being shown screenshots of people I've never heard of going on about a conspiracy theory. The fact that it happens to every politics thread on CaB makes them unreadable.

(Apologies for the long post - I usually lurk these threads to avoid getting notifications, but they've become increasingly unreadable of late and it is frustrating.)

Fuck it post.

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 09, 2018, 04:14:31 PM
*shrugs*?

No, I think it's shit but I don't imagine I live in a world run by the Good Witch of the West.  I don't kid myself that these international mafiosi economies all play nicely.  I don't see and have never seen, any evidence to indicate I'm incorrect, the world is run by murdering criminals.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on December 09, 2018, 04:19:03 PM
No, I think it's shit but I don't imagine I live in a world run by the Good Witch of the West.  I don't kid myself that these international mafiosi economies all play nicely.  I don't see and have never seen, any evidence to indicate I'm incorrect, the world is run by murdering criminals.

Seems like outrage to me :) Welcome aboard.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 09, 2018, 04:10:12 PM

Or influential journalists working in the msm, and now multiple major media outlets are pushing this bogus Russia angle in the French protests, so it really does matter.

We obviously wouldn't need to keep making the same points again and again if they would stop trying the same propaganda tricks again and again would we, and I'm not going to stop pointing it out until they stop doing it. Sorry if you don't like that.