Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:58:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So... Them French Protests, eh?

Started by Blumf, December 03, 2018, 11:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

The UK isn't embarrassing itself?

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 18, 2019, 11:51:16 AM
You are getting very defensive about this, but I haven't attempting to offer any analysis of what is happening in France, I'm talking about the coverage of it.

So am I.  I'm asking you how do you understand what's happening in France better than people in France?  How do you know that these protests have been under reported - what are you basing this assertion on?

I'm not defensive, unless you mean that I'm keen to keep the truth alive in this conversation.

jobotic

here's another march that hasn't been reported. Which is odd, after Christchurch.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/b/anti-racism-demo?fbclid=IwAR2sAtmzExNN421AzmIw4QrkFKxcueVpRXSZYzlgmwfTbLxIEUZWV16Btu0

Farage's march of a hundred bigots (but not him) though, was all over the media.

bgmnts

I don't want to make this all pointless but surely the modern generation of younger people - i.e, the people who will enact positive change - get most of their information from raw data feeds on your facebooks, twitters and instagrams and whatnot, rather than mainstream newspapers or news stations. I may be wrong but as long as whatever is under-represented in news outlets is fairly represtend on social media, it's moot, right?

Buelligan

Interestingly, a journalist filmed a police officer stuffing PSG shirts into his bag during the disturbances.  He was then attacked by the police, who hit his phone and appeared intent on taking it, you can hear him here shouting that he's press and asking them by what right they're attacking him and where their identity numbers are.

It's been picked up by the BBC now.

https://twitter.com/LPLdirect/status/1107025685443502081

Quote from: Buelligan on March 18, 2019, 01:23:05 PM
Interestingly, a journalist filmed a police officer stuffing PSG shirts into his bag during the disturbances.  He was then attacked by the police, who hit his phone and appeared intent on taking it, you can hear him here shouting that he's press and asking them by what right they're attacking him and where their identity numbers are.

So? What's your point? Do you even have one? Do you know what all those officers were thinking at the time? No? Well shut your pie hole then, your concerns are illegitimate and you have no business posting this stuff.

Buelligan

My point is that the BBC appear to be covering these protests.  Is that a problem for you?

Blumf

Buelligan

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on March 18, 2019, 01:23:05 PM

The officer was putting stolen shirts into a bag after recovering them from looters.

Nice to hear the cry of "I'm press, don't hurt me - attack the ordinary folk, but not the press".

Paul Calf

Quote from: bgmnts on March 18, 2019, 12:22:23 PM
I don't want to make this all pointless but surely the modern generation of younger people - i.e, the people who will enact positive change - get most of their information from raw data feeds on your facebooks, twitters and instagrams and whatnot, rather than mainstream newspapers or news stations. I may be wrong but as long as whatever is under-represented in news outlets is fairly represtend on social media, it's moot, right?

You're right, but theirs aren't the votes that will decide the shape of society. Not yet, anyway.

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 19, 2019, 01:13:31 AM
The officer was putting stolen shirts into a bag after recovering them from looters.

Nice to hear the cry of "I'm press, don't hurt me - attack the ordinary folk, but not the press".

I didn't hear that but I admit, my ears are very small, practically vestigial.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 19, 2019, 01:13:31 AM

There are two possibilities. Either the officer was stealing jerseys, or these were evidence he had seized against a looter. The second one is from the police unions.

There have been lies from all sides in these events. It turns out that the "moderate" Yellow Jersey have contacts with Black Blocs groups. The police had, at some point, carelessly thrown grenades and stuff. And the "innocent bystander" who had half his hand teared apart because an anti-encirclement grenade had landed on his torso and he tried to put it away, had actually picked up a grenade on the ground, assuming it was tear gas, to throw it against the cops. It exploded before he had the opportunity.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Once again, I've confused the leader in the Tour de France with the Yellow Vests. I'll try to address this.

Endicott

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on March 20, 2019, 06:50:42 PM
There are two possibilities. Either the officer was stealing jerseys, or these were evidence he had seized against a looter. The second one is from the police unions.

Evidence isn't usually stuffed inside a rucksack is it? I don't know, I'm out of touch with modern police methods.

Ferris

Quote from: Endicott on March 21, 2019, 10:49:26 AM
Evidence isn't usually stuffed inside a rucksack is it? I don't know, I'm out of touch with modern police methods.

Stuffed in a sack, then safely stored in the bottom of a friend's garage until the heat dies down - at which point they can be safely redistributed to the general public by way of eBay auction (any remuneration to recoup costs and expenses incurred by evidence collection). All in a day's work.

ITEM AS DESCRIBED FANTASTIC SELLER BARELY ANY PLEB BLOOD ON JERSEY AAAAAAAA++++

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Endicott on March 21, 2019, 10:49:26 AM

Given what happened around the shop, the cop didn't have much time to look for a procedurally-correct bag to store the evidence.

And the statement he filled afterwards shows that he indeed arrested one man, his arms full of clothes.

The bag was one that the guy attempted to steal. There were in all 18 items stolen for a retail value of €2,000. The cop declared all the items as exhibits at the police precinct.

https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/2019/03/20/le-policier-accuse-davoir-vole-des-maillots-du-psg-a-redige-un-proces-verbal-qui-le-disculpe_a_23696406/

Even Sputnik News agrees with that version.

Sure, the cop could be lying and decided afterwards to declare the stuff to save his skin after he was filmed. But I don't think he is, because there's one suspect under custody that he arrested prior to putting the jerseys inside the bag, which is in line with the statement.

gib

Is this still kicking off every day or are there orderly days in between the riots?

chveik

Quote from: gib on March 21, 2019, 11:21:26 PM
Is this still kicking off every day or are there orderly days in between the riots?

every saturday now, mostly in Paris.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Every Saturday. They tried to expand it on Fridays or Sundays, but it's failed so far.

Saturday's riots took place after a few weeks where participation had waned. The most famous leaders of the movement were actually considering giving up on their calls to mobilization as a week before there were something like 28,500 demonstrators in all of France, a tenth of the crowds it got at its peak. (Yes, it's from police sources, but they tend to be accurate).

What may have happened is that many people decided to make this "final" day a major event and moved on to the Champs-Élysées early in the morning, to break up with their usual patterns of early in the afternoon, so the cops wouldn't be ready at the time. There ended up being 10,000 people there, while the week before they were just 3,500.
While the movement was mostly on its way out, the riots will result in another surge in the attendance for a few weeks. But the big question is that the riots may have cost them some support among the population, as the yellow vests can't claim that the damage and looting was just the work of the Black Blocs.

Sin Agog

biggytitbo

Dr Trouser

I've not kept up with this as i've been out the country for a while but this picture;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2WzYyrXgAE3wbG.jpg

seems all over the media. It's a grim picture and will come back to haunt Macron repeatedly i think.

Can't seem to find any info on the state of the 2 elderly people though.

Buelligan

According to Le Parisien, the woman is a (+/-) 75 year old, armed only with a rainbow flag - the symbol of peace (not sure about why that explanation is there - maybe because many may see it as an LGBT flag and maybe they consider that not sympathetic or something).  She was wounded, hitting her head on a large metal stud when she fell, pushed when the crowd she was in were charged by police trying to clear Garibaldi Square in Nice according to a police source at BFM tv.

There is a similar story, carried in the Mail yesterday, part of which may be based around the same incident, I won't link it because they're absolute cunts but you can find it, if you want, by googling them and Vive la Revolution! 

greenman

Is it still ok to watch Paddy Considine's work knowing he allowed himself to be cloned by a brutal French riot squad?

Dr Trouser

Thanks Buelligan - miserable stuff.

Blumf

What's the wider political situation like?

From what I can make out, the general gist of the protests is that people want Macron and fellow neo-libs to fuck off, but, other than Le Pen's far right Bastard Party, there doesn't seem to be much to choose from. Is Melenchon the man? Basically, come the next elections, what are the options going to be?

Buelligan

God knows.  I don't know French politics in enough depth to have a worthwhile strong opinion, other than anything but Le Pen (almost anything).  I don't think you can really judge politicians (and their prospective performances) unless you truly have an understanding of their pasts. 

Some people love Melenchon, others say he's an untrustworthy egomaniac, obviously, he's the obvious Left candidate but I can't vouch for his reliability, I just don't know enough.  I should do more work/reading but there's only so much time in one little life already fairly full with skivvying, laughing at Mark Francois' penis and the other thing.

Don't know what's going to happen with Macron though, is he a dead duck?  Seemingly so, he's still letting the ultra wealthy off of the richies tax, which, I think was a big catalyst for the gilets jaunes and there are still an awful lot of people (here, at least) driving round with a yellow vest on the dashboard.  I hope to fuck it's not Le Pen.  Imagine ca, Brexit + Le Pen = cattle truck back to Blighty and frozen death in an underpass.  Nice (not the biscuit or the city).  Of course it won't, I'll go on the rampage if it comes to it.  Nothing to lose is a marvelous motivator. 

This is partly why I get so fucking irritated with bigs, all very well to merrily sow the seeds of hell and chaos but only if one plans to be there for the harvest, chucking them over the fence and fucking off home for a cuppa is a cunt's game.