Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:39:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

So... Them French Protests, eh?

Started by Blumf, December 03, 2018, 11:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Cuellar

Gotta say that I wasn't aware that the Mélenchon situation was so complicated. Much gratitude, Ant Farm Keyboard, your perspective is invaluable

IT WERE A RIGHT LAUGH FOR THOSE BAGUETTE WIELDING SAMURAI UNTIL LE PEN GETS IN.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The gas tax was the spark after months of careless governing by Macron and PM Philippe.

There have been reports spread by the presidency that the coming Saturday will be much more radicalized than the previous ones, with strong risks of human casualties. Some of it may be some old slander to disqualify the movement, but a few people start to realise they are being used by the far right, which is great at this kind of Trojan horses (a few years ago, they had put together a series of "salami and wine" street parties, that were ultimately a pretext to set Muslims apart from the "regular" population). And these groups know that next Saturday is the last big opportunity as people will care more about the holidays soon

One self-appointed leader has called for invading the Élysée palace for Macron to "listen to the yellow jackets" at last. The front page of Paris Match (a popular half-tabloid/half-news magazine French weekly) published this Thursday shows a yellow jacket carrying a French flag in talks with the police in front of the Arc de Triomphe.

They realized later they hadn't used a picture of a random demonstrator but of fucking Hervé Ryssen. Hervé Ryssen is a self-called anti-semite and Holocaust denier responsible for a few essays and documentaries carrying titles like "Satan in Hollywood," "Jews and Incest," "Antisemitism for Dummies" or "Israel's Billions." He's actually much more radical than stand-up comedian Dieudonné (who also tried to align with the yellow jacket movement) or Alain Soral, as both refute claims of being anti-semites.

Hundhoon

the French are lame they elected Macron, they are the only losers in the western world that elected a neoliberal dated 90s relic. the UK,US,Italy,Germany, Spain almost every European country has turned its back on that neoliberal era and is trying to move forward,

Macron is isolated. he looks weird, out of place. desperate, its just odd, if you visited France in 2016  like i did you would have thought France would be at the forefront, seemed like a deeply unhappy country, they had a shitty economy, 250 dead from terrorism in 18 months, social tensions...maybe they were the most vulenrable to people like Macron...hmmm.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Hundhoon on December 07, 2018, 06:44:46 AM
the French are lame they elected Macron, they are the only losers in the western world that elected a neoliberal dated 90s relic. the UK,US,Italy,Germany, Spain almost every European country has turned its back on that neoliberal era and is trying to move forward,

Macron is isolated. he looks weird, out of place. desperate, its just odd, if you visited France in 2016  like i did you would have thought France would be at the forefront, seemed like a deeply unhappy country, they had a shitty economy, 250 dead from terrorism in 18 months, social tensions...maybe they were the most vulenrable to people like Macron...hmmm.

Yet WE (they) won the World Cup! ALLEZ LES BLEUS.

græskar

In more optimistic news, I am happy to hear that Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer has won, as she's supposed to continue Merkel's policies. I actually quite like Merkel. I don't know how controversial that is.

biggytitbo

Pingers

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on December 07, 2018, 01:18:19 AM
The gas tax was the spark after months of careless governing by Macron and PM Philippe.

There have been reports spread by the presidency that the coming Saturday will be much more radicalized than the previous ones, with strong risks of human casualties. Some of it may be some old slander to disqualify the movement, but a few people start to realise they are being used by the far right, which is great at this kind of Trojan horses (a few years ago, they had put together a series of "salami and wine" street parties, that were ultimately a pretext to set Muslims apart from the "regular" population). And these groups know that next Saturday is the last big opportunity as people will care more about the holidays soon

One self-appointed leader has called for invading the Élysée palace for Macron to "listen to the yellow jackets" at last. The front page of Paris Match (a popular half-tabloid/half-news magazine French weekly) published this Thursday shows a yellow jacket carrying a French flag in talks with the police in front of the Arc de Triomphe.

They realized later they hadn't used a picture of a random demonstrator but of fucking Hervé Ryssen. Hervé Ryssen is a self-called anti-semite and Holocaust denier responsible for a few essays and documentaries carrying titles like "Satan in Hollywood," "Jews and Incest," "Antisemitism for Dummies" or "Israel's Billions." He's actually much more radical than stand-up comedian Dieudonné (who also tried to align with the yellow jacket movement) or Alain Soral, as both refute claims of being anti-semites.

From what my leftist mate in France says, it's not that the gilet jaunes are being used by the far right, it's that they are along for the ride. Seems there are a lot of grievances being aired. You would hope the left could take advantage of the general disorder to nullify some fascists, seems as good an opportunity as any.

All kicking off now. Tear gas, rubber bullets, Gatling guns. Martial law by dinner time everyone's saying. My mate lives just outside Avignon and she's gone into the old nuke bunker with her kids. Is this the end of France as we know it?

biggytitbo

French police round up students and make them kneel with their arms behind their heads - horrible historical parallels  https://twitter.com/redfishstream/status/1071045011112947712?s=19

biggytitbo

kngen

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 08, 2018, 12:08:22 PM
French police round up students and make them kneel with their arms behind their heads - horrible historical parallels  https://twitter.com/redfishstream/status/1071045011112947712?s=19

The Police Nationale are total fucking bastards that make our lot seem like Dixon of Dock Green - if a few dozen of them get hospitalised in the line of duty, it will make the protests a total triumph aside from anything else.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 08, 2018, 01:01:58 PM

If the lighthouse family are 'music for people who don't like music' then this is the political equivalent, politicians for people who don't like politics.

biggytitbo

Everything is Russia or Facebooks fault -

but, but, the EU - a trading bloc - doesn't want an army! shut up gammon!

Paul Calf

Oh, look who's back on a Saturday night.

Hank Venture

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 08, 2018, 04:21:49 PM

https://twitter.com/MollyMcKew/status/1071405392742285312

Is there anything Machiavelli Sun Tzu Vlad Putin is not behind? Is there any limit to his reach whatsoever?

The American liberal media class has completely lost its mind. Russians under the bed.

BlodwynPig

My wife is in Belgium, she went to her favourite (extortionate) chocolatiers (Patrick Rogier) and asked if her sister could try a piece of their chocolate (when we went previously, they allowed). "Non!" was the reply. He then proceeded to give free samples to two French speaking customers and my wife, inevitably, went ballistic - ANTI-RUSSIAN DOGS!

Reading the above tweets, I have now apologised for laughing in her face and think there may be something in it, even at the level of the humble chocolatier.

manticore

Not exactly les evenements is it?

Pity, I liked them. Things seem to have gone a bit downhill over the last 50 years in some ways.

chveik

Quote from: manticore on December 08, 2018, 09:19:40 PM
Pity, I liked them. Things seem to have gone a bit downhill over the last 50 years in some ways.

who did you like?

Kryton

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 08, 2018, 04:21:49 PM

France has a history of Russian/Soviet/KGB agents doing things.The Russians have had infiltrators up to Presidency level at some points.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Kryton on December 08, 2018, 09:56:34 PM
France has a history of Russian/Soviet/KGB agents doing things.The Russians have had infiltrators up to Presidency level at some points.

Really? Who exactly? And what relevance does that have to this in any case? Unless you're saying the French people literally have no agency over their own lived experience? And it means a revolt against decades of neoliberalism is actually a Russian plot rather than a real genuine grassroots revolt against Macron for doubling down on the very things that are causing the problems in the first place?

It sounds like desperate blame shifting to me.

Buelligan

I think the whole thing's extremely complex. 

Whilst I have no reason to suspect Putin's involvement in anything much, I do wonder why it's so important to you bigs that he's not (at the bottom of anything whatsoever).  Why is that?  Do you actually believe he's some sort of perfect sin-free angelic being?

biggytitbo

Ohh nothing really, just because it's UTTER BOLLOCKS?

Cuellar

Put in is strong national proud man

BlodwynPig