Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:00:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cake-inspired songs

Started by Pingers, December 04, 2018, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingers

In a piece in The Guardian today, the Housemartins tell us how they made Happy Hour. Guitarist and cream bun fiend Stan Cullimore tells how "We'd just written Me and the Farmer and I wanted to go for a "bun run" – a trip to the local cake shop. But Paul was adamant that we needed one more song, so we came up with Happy Hour. I was so desperate to get to the cake shop that I used the same chords for the chorus in the verse, but because Paul sang a different melody over it and I did the "It's happy hour again" backing vocals, it worked. We recorded it on a little cassette recorder, I chucked down my guitar and ran for a custard slice".

You'd think Cullimore would have been fatter. Maybe that's where Norman Cook got the name Fatboy Slim from.

All cake-based music contributions below please.

studpuppet

MacArthur Park springs readily to mind.

sevendaughters

Cake and Sodomy by Marilyn Manson, but I bet I know which one he was more interested in, the dirty get

Absorb the anus burn

hedgehog90

Almost too obvious to bother mentioning:
Cake Shop Girl by Swell Maps.

Pingers

If the world wasn't a barrel of unfairness, if there was a shred of justice and if the stars weren't horribly misaligned, there would be a fat rapper from Rotherham called Vanilla Slice.

hedgehog90

Fun fact, Charlie XCX originally started with the name Custard Tart.

Cuellar

Donut Think Twice It's Alright

Neville Chamberlain

(Pineapple) Upside Down by Diana Ross

Norton Canes

Neville Chamberlain

Neville Chamberlain

What about bands inspired by the band Cake? Come on, I'm not being flippant - the grammar of the thread title allows for this interpretation as well!

Personally, I can't think of any because the band Cake were too rubbish for words, but maybe others feel differently!

a duncandisorderly

samadriel

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 05, 2018, 11:36:03 AM
Personally, I can't think of any because the band Cake were too rubbish for words, but maybe others feel differently!

They're still around, and still excellent.

studpuppet

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on December 04, 2018, 12:13:11 PM
"Gateaux My Cloud"

Jumping Flapjack Flash
Paint It Black Forest Gateau
Brown Sugar Loaf
Harlem Soufflé

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: studpuppet on December 05, 2018, 01:55:32 PM
Jumping Flapjack Flash
Brown Sugar Loaf
Harlem Soufflé

tart me up

a duncandisorderly

studpuppet

a duncandisorderly

Jerzy Bondov

Not sure the song is actually about a cake though. It's about being rude to Americans. "The excess of fat on your American bones will cushion the impact as you sink like a stone" Not a very nice thing to say is it Tim 'n' Neil?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 05, 2018, 03:24:57 PM

Not sure the song is actually about a cake though. It's about being rude to Americans. "The excess of fat on your American bones will cushion the impact as you sink like a stone" Not a very nice thing to say is it Tim 'n' Neil?

fleetwood bigmac

Pingers

Quote from: samadriel on December 05, 2018, 12:29:08 PM
They're still around, and still excellent.

Yeah, I like Cake. I think partly because the singer gives off an air of thinking it's all a big hoot and not taking it too seriously. Plus, trumpets. Comfort Eagle is a very good album

Mr Banlon

Quote from: studpuppet on December 05, 2018, 01:55:32 PM
Jumping Flapjack Flash
Brown Sugar Loaf
Harlem Soufflé
Sympathy For The Devil's Food Cake
Bread Flours

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Mr Banlon on December 05, 2018, 05:33:32 PM
Sympathy For The Devil's Food Cake
Bread Flours

Under My Bun
Dundee A Stranger

a duncandisorderly

You Can't Always Get What You Want (Such as a Cake, For Example)