Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:46:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Captain Marvel

Started by olliebean, December 04, 2018, 12:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Can't find an existing thread about this but I guess there'll be one eventually and now seems as good a time as any, since there's a trailer out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpNisnvFmOk

Looks very generic to me. No sense of fun about it. Unless future trailers are a lot better, I can't see myself bothering to go to the cinema for this one.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Her voice sounds a bit weedy. I'm not familiar with the character, but I'd have thought she was meant to sound all steely, which would be well within Larson's range.

I expect this to be a bit like Green Lantern, but not shit.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm looking forward to it, I've been a far of Larsen's since The United States Of Tara and have faith that she'll pull off the role. Especially if it's anything like this clip from TUSOT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHTb_pMMQ94

SteveDave

Finally! A superhero called Carol.

monolith

Quote from: olliebean on December 04, 2018, 12:48:11 PM

Looks very generic to me. No sense of fun about it. Unless future trailers are a lot better, I can't see myself bothering to go to the cinema for this one.
It's Marvel, I think at this point you're either in or you're out. They are all very generic but I imagine if you like the last few Marvel films then this one will also be enjoyable.

I think the phase 3 films have been the most consistent, wasn't massively arsed about Doctor Strange but the others have been great (unless they aren't your thing, although I can't imagine anyone who still watches these is expecting anything massively different).

olliebean

I've no idea which films belong to which "phase" - tbh I don't really give a shit about the ongoing arc, buggered if I can't enjoy a film without committing to watching and remembering important details from the other 50 in the series. But I've found most of the last few more enjoyable than the previous lot, which mostly seemed a lot more generic and less willing to send themselves up. This trailer feels more like one of those old generic ones than one of the newer more interesting and fun ones.

Glebe

I think it looks entertaining enough... the young Nick Fury and Coulson and that, and that Ronan the Accuser bloke again etc.

mothman

I thought it was coming out sooner than March. But looks to have always been due then, apart from being bumped down the roster by S-M:H and AM&TW.

Avengers 4 is still due in May, and S-M2 in July...

surreal

Quote from: mothman on December 04, 2018, 11:13:59 PM
I thought it was coming out sooner than March. But looks to have always been due then, apart from being bumped down the roster by S-M:H and AM&TW.

Avengers 4 is still due in May, and S-M2 in July...

Supposedly there will be an Avengers 4 trailer this week

mothman

Gosh, does that mean a name, finally?

Replies From View

Let me guess, this is a film that won't make sense if you haven't studied all the Iron Man, Captain America, Birth Quest, Spider-Man, Dawson's Creek, Bashing Warrior, Settlement 9 and Hawkline films first.

When will they start making standalone films again?

Z

Quote from: Replies From View on December 05, 2018, 08:19:12 AM
Let me guess, this is a film that won't make sense if you haven't studied all the Iron Man, Captain America, Birth Quest, Spider-Man, Dawson's Creek, Bashing Warrior, Settlement 9 and Hawkline films first.

The ones I've seen generally made sense, it was just a big chunk of the films seemed to depend on you appreciating all those nods and references.

Thor 3 made sense, I didn't give a shite about anyone in it though.

surreal

It's possible, depending on what they do with the story - many rumours about time-travel going back to events in earlier movies to change the past, so if they do that and you're seeing the "old" parts for the first time I guess it could get confusing.  Could be wrong and they do something else though, have to wait and see.

monolith

Not for a while I would imagine. Avengers 3 was the most popular film yet and if you hadn't seen any other MCU films it would make the least sense out of all of them.

Bad Ambassador

Doctor Strange was pretty standalone.

Mister Six

So were Ant-Man 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (for sequels, at least) and Black Panther. Captain Marvel is an origin story set in the 1990s so while it'll probably have a lot of nods and winks to continuity it should be entirely penetrable.

Thor 3 and Spider-Man Homecoming are the only ones that really got tangled up in other franchises, and I think you could still more or less figure out what's going on even if you only have the dimmest notion of who The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man (respectively) are.

Civil War is a pain, but it's basically another Avengers film, and Infinity War is another Avengers film, so fair enough it's going to be a continuity headache for newbies.

Two impenetrable films, two fiddly ones and four that are open for newcomers doesn't seem that bad.

olliebean

As long as it doesn't have Bucky in it. Try as I might, I just can't manage to remember who Bucky is or anything about him for more than 5 minutes after seeing one with him in. Someone told me he was the Winter Soldier, but I only remember that because somebody told me - somehow I'd managed to watch The Winter Soldier and not retain that piece of information.

Gulftastic

Is she good at shouting 'SHAZAM!'?

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on December 06, 2018, 01:51:39 AM
Two impenetrable films, two fiddly ones and four that are open for newcomers doesn't seem that bad.

The only one I have the remotest interest in is Spider-Man.  I bet that goes for many people.  I knew Homecoming was going to lack an origin story of its own and fair enough - we know that story by now - but it was extremely dimwitted of Marvel to decide that their great Spider-Man revival should be a sequel to some random flying robot man films that most of us will never see.

I mean yes, I still understood it, but it was a stupid choice and it annoyed me.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on December 06, 2018, 06:36:51 PM
The only one I have the remotest interest in is Spider-Man.  I bet that goes for many people.  I knew Homecoming was going to lack an origin story of its own and fair enough - we know that story by now - but it was extremely dimwitted of Marvel to decide that their great Spider-Man revival should be a sequel to some random flying robot man films that most of us will never see.

I mean yes, I still understood it, but it was a stupid choice and it annoyed me.

Understandable. I thought they leaned far too heavily on the Stark thing myself, and I really dislike the gimmicky suit.

Given the money that these films make, though, it would appear that "many people" are indeed interested in characters other than Spider-Man. Homecoming is the highest-grossing MCU film not to break a billion. It's been beaten by, in reverse order, Captain America: Civil War, Iron Man 3, Black Panther, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Avengers, and Avengers: Infinity War. None of the films have made less than $263 million.

I suspect that after Avengers 4 Marvel is going to have a rockier road ahead of it though. There's going to be a major refractory period and I suspect they'll be losing a lot of their first-hand ration stars (ie. the ones that pull in the biggest bucks).

MuteBanana

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 04, 2018, 01:40:43 PM
Her voice sounds a bit weedy. I'm not familiar with the character, but I'd have thought she was meant to sound all steely, which would be well within Larson's range.

I thought so too. Even if it isn't they should be boosting it up in the film.

I'm putting hope in this as I'm hoping Marvel will take over from America and take MCU into their next phase.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Mister Six on December 06, 2018, 11:09:20 PMI suspect that after Avengers 4 Marvel is going to have a rockier road ahead of it though. There's going to be a major refractory period and I suspect they'll be losing a lot of their first-hand ration stars (ie. the ones that pull in the biggest bucks).

I wouldn't bet against them continuing as ever. Spider-Man 2 is going to be massive – the first one likely suffered from the drag of being the third Spider-Man within a decade, but now the sequel will ride goodwill from the first AND from two of the biggest films of all time. Black Panther 2 picks up from THREE of the biggest films of all time, and still has an entire swathe of audience to itself. Gotta assume Captain Marvel will do well and then play a major part in Infinity War 2 to lead into its sequel too. Phase 4's looking very strong, even with the question mark over Guardians 3.

So yeah, we're done with Cap and Iron Man and Thor for a while. And going by the impression of general disinterest I got from Rudd on the Ant-Man 2 press round, I reckon we might be done with him too. And I don't know there's a huge appetite for Strange 2. But I think Spidey, Black Panther and Captain Marvel will be as strong tentpoles as they've had.

colacentral

I agree that this trailer makes it look like a bland phase 1 / 2 era film, extremely generic ("it's the key to all this" - yuck), unlike the recent wave of films which have been the strongest, most colourful and distinct yet, particularly the 5 film run from GotG 2 to Infinity War.

I really can't stand the dark filter over everything - orange and teal seen through a stocking appears to be the colour palette they're going for. Thor: The Dark World had a similar oppressively dull colour palette which made an already drab film that much more difficult to sit through.

Having said that, I get the sense that alot is being held back from what the film is really about. There seems to be a mystery element to it and Jude Law seems to be the "surprise" villain so it may just be a case of not wanting to give the game away on that and any surrounding details. Her emphasising that she thinks of the Kree as heroes is obviously setting up her realisation that they're actually a bunch of cunts.

Penfold

I hope my 12 (tis the) seasons of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. payoff.

I kid, it is really enjoyable and only half the length my seasonal joke indicated.

garnish

Quote from: colacentral on December 07, 2018, 09:14:27 PM
I agree that this trailer makes it look like a bland phase 1 / 2 era film, extremely generic ("it's the key to all this" - yuck), unlike the recent wave of films which have been the strongest, most colourful and distinct yet, particularly the 5 film run from GotG 2 to Infinity War.

I really can't stand the dark filter over everything - orange and teal seen through a stocking appears to be the colour palette they're going for. Thor: The Dark World had a similar oppressively dull colour palette which made an already drab film that much more difficult to sit through.

Having said that, I get the sense that alot is being held back from what the film is really about. There seems to be a mystery element to it and Jude Law seems to be the "surprise" villain so it may just be a case of not wanting to give the game away on that and any surrounding details. Her emphasising that she thinks of the Kree as heroes is obviously setting up her realisation that they're actually a bunch of cunts.

Yes I was surprised by the very positive reaction to the trailer on places like Reddit, but I think that's a reflection of the goodwill this movie has.  I read Spiderman and other comics when I was younger but I'd never heard of Captain Marvel - without wanting to project too much, I reckon that's probably the same for most people; all the same, it feels like this is going to be another record breaking box office.

Shhhhurely there's a limit to how often they can do the 'hero gets powers, hero learns to use powers, hero beats the final level baddie'.  Although not a great trailer, it does hint that the storyline won't be quite so generic this time around.

colacentral

Anyone seen this then? It's average Marvel, maybe slightly above average when you remember this is a franchise with such films as Thor, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Captain America 1, Incredible Hulk, to name a few mediocrities off the top of my head.

The hate it's getting from all corners is unbelievable, sickening actually. Some youtube people who pop up in my recommended list (I know...) are showing themselves up for the demented freaks they are; the brainwashing of Jordan Peterson et al quite obvious. There's a particularly absurd bit of cognitive dissonance with black male "reviewers" who are unable to see the similarity between the abuse this is getting and the attempt at abuse / review bombing that Black Panther got. It didn't work with the latter because of the male contingent able to defend it; whereas in a heavily-male dominated online "review" culture, this doesn't stand a chance.

It's incredibly frustrating as, being a mostly rational person able to watch disposable nonsense like this outside of any external political elements, it's the sort of bog standard comic film that would be getting a solid seven out of ten in most places, and some hyperbolic eights and nines from your sad rapist trolls if it had a male lead.

idunnosomename

Why would you be called "Brie" thats what i wanna know

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: colacentral on March 09, 2019, 01:55:05 AM
Anyone seen this then? It's average Marvel, maybe slightly above average when you remember this is a franchise with such films as Thor, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Captain America 1, Incredible Hulk, to name a few mediocrities off the top of my head.

The hate it's getting from all corners is unbelievable, sickening actually. Some youtube people who pop up in my recommended list (I know...) are showing themselves up for the demented freaks they are; the brainwashing of Jordan Peterson et al quite obvious. There's a particularly absurd bit of cognitive dissonance with black male "reviewers" who are unable to see the similarity between the abuse this is getting and the attempt at abuse / review bombing that Black Panther got. It didn't work with the latter because of the male contingent able to defend it; whereas in a heavily-male dominated online "review" culture, this doesn't stand a chance.

It's incredibly frustrating as, being a mostly rational person able to watch disposable nonsense like this outside of any external political elements, it's the sort of bog standard comic film that would be getting a solid seven out of ten in most places, and some hyperbolic eights and nines from your sad rapist trolls if it had a male lead.

To be honest most of the reviews I've seen briefly address "the controversy" and then say it's a below average Marvel film but an OK watch. It does seem like female reviews are generally more enthusiastic about it though (if not to the extent of Wonder Woman, which is probably on point and does show how the balance is perhaps skewed.

wooders1978

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 09, 2019, 10:00:19 AM
Why would you be called "Brie" thats what i wanna know

Camembert Larson has a much better ring to it

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Stilton Larson. Manchego Larson. She's got great range.

It seems like the tosspots are all in a tizz because Larson said some stuff about making the press junkets more inclusive. She never even said anything about changing the films. Also, the trailer has the word 'Her' turn into the word 'Hero'. Now as some form of protest they're all going to see Alita: Battle Angel, presumably because the star of that doesn't make them uncomfortable by voicing her opinions or pointing out that she is, in fact, a woman.

Without having seen it yet (I'm going tomorrow) I find the idea that she's a Mary Sue questionable. The trailer shows her being knocked down, beaten in a sparring match by Jude Law's character and taken prisoner. Plus, Marvel already has another Captain that is a ridiculously perfect human and no one complains about him