Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:24:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Captain Marvel

Started by olliebean, December 04, 2018, 12:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
RLM is more of a comedy channel than a movie review channel. They're fairly self-deprecating and don't claim any film expertise (other than perhaps b-movie character actors and obscure 80s horror movies).

Mr_Simnock

Watched this last week and thought it quite good - 8/10.

Lord Mandrake

I was disappointed by this although my daughters were fighting over which one of them is Captain Marvel so I suppose it did it's job. It's certainly the most accessible MCU film to a younger audience which is probably why I found it so juvenile. It was quite hideous in terms of production design and cinematography with early off planet scenes looking very 60's Star Trek and later, Earth bound stuff a bit TV movie. The unexpected take on Talos was my favourite thing about it, the young Sam Jackson looked convincing whilst Coulson looked creepy. 5/10 - Probably only Iron man 3 & Thor 2 are worse.

phantom_power

I thought Coulson looked generally fine apart from that bit on the stairs when he lets Fury escape and looks like Max Headroom

EOLAN

As someone dragged along to this; and finding the opening 20 minutes or so awfully dull both story wise and colour palette and of course having Jude Law there; managed to enjoy it a lot once she hit the Blockbusters. Also liked that one of the big fights with Annette Benning was just in effect Benning putting her hand out and Larson doing a Marcel Marcea impersonation of walking into the wind.

phantom_power

I will come out as someone who thinks Jude Law has grown into a really good actor. He is good in all his Soderbergh collaborations and he is fucking phenomenal in The Young Pope. He was a bit shit when he was younger and hanging out with Sadie Frost and the like but I think now he is genuinely good

SteveDave

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on March 18, 2019, 01:04:43 PM
Probably only Iron man 3 & Thor 2 are worse.

Iron Man 3 is the best one!

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: phantom_power on March 19, 2019, 10:05:03 AM
I will come out as someone who thinks Jude Law has grown into a really good actor. He is good in all his Soderbergh collaborations and he is fucking phenomenal in The Young Pope. He was a bit shit when he was younger and hanging out with Sadie Frost and the like but I think now he is genuinely good

Me too, although I sometimes wonder if I eventually like anyone if they stick around long enough.

Also, this was better than I expected and not the generic Marvel assembly line sausage I feared/had heard, but it lost me when they spent ages dithering round in that woman's house, and never quite won me back not least as the ending had an overwhelming amount going on, and you wish they'd chosen that point to slow it down a bit.

SteveDave

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on March 19, 2019, 09:56:54 PM
Yeah I meant Iron man 2.

O yes, that went on for ages and wasted the wonderful Sam Rockwell.

EOLAN

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on March 19, 2019, 02:13:57 PM
Me too, although I sometimes wonder if I eventually like anyone if they stick around long enough.

Also, this was better than I expected and not the generic Marvel assembly line sausage I feared/had heard, but it lost me when they spent ages dithering round in that woman's house, and never quite won me back not least as the ending had an overwhelming amount going on, and you wish they'd chosen that point to slow it down a bit.

I quite enjoyed the literally more grounded scenes. In Los Angeles and Louisanna. But then again I don't like comic book movies so what  I like and dislike is probably against what the target audience is seeking.
Re: me finding Jude Law being dull; I can well imagine he was directed to portray him in quite an unspectacular as well. Enjoyed the performance of the main shapeshifter who started as a baddy but turned good when we found out he was made homeless. Was certain it was Tom Hardy. Reminded me a lot about his Jewish character in Peaky Blinders with the vocal mannerisms.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 17, 2019, 09:40:38 AM
Red Letter Media are fucking shitehawk, and I'll never understand their deification on the internet, except I do a bit because their view on films is basically the same as any fucker on reddit.

They're a little more nuanced than that. Mike and Jay both picked Room as their film of the year and raved about it at length, and Jay and Josh did a video last week about the Suspiria remake - which they both loved - that turned me from actively avoiding it to being genuinely interested in seeing it.

Endicott

Saw it last night. I liked it and there's been some great analysis in this thread from everyone.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 10, 2019, 04:55:07 PM
- There's a bit in which we flash back over all the times that Brie's character gets back up after a fall

Just replying here to mention that this sequence reminded me very strongly of the climax to Buffy Season 7. The little girl with the baseball bat is almost a direct lift.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 17, 2019, 10:15:11 PM
Watched this last week and thought it quite good - 8/10.

Quite good. 8/10.

Therein lies the success of these films.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Complete guff. 2/10.

Therein lies the failure of the DCEU, Dark Universe etc.

They are basically impossible to fuck up. You've got decades of source material to sift through and an almost limitless budget to make it happen.

It's more of an achievement to end up making something as dreadful as Thor 2 or Justice League.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

phantom_power

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 22, 2019, 12:54:57 PM
They are basically impossible to fuck up. You've got decades of source material to sift through and an almost limitless budget to make it happen.

It's more of an achievement to end up making something as dreadful as Thor 2 or Justice League.

I think you just have to compare Marvel films to DC ones to see how easy they are to fuck up and how good a job of doing what they set out to achieve they have done. You may not like what they are doing but they are doing it very well

Kelvin

I was just making a joke about the fact "quite good" films get rated 8 out of 10. I was obviously being a little scamp, but if it makes you feel any better, I totally agree that three or four Marvel films deserve an 8 out of 10.

Lord Mandrake

Saw a cool theory about what happened to the forth Skrull which if it turns out to be true revises my CM score up to 7/10.

Generally MCU films do live in that 7-8/10 comfort zone but the sequence of Ragnarok, Black Panther and Infinity war raised the bar for me.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on March 19, 2019, 02:13:57 PM

Yeah, he used to be an actor I strongly disliked but he's definitely growing on me. That said I've never got on with Joaquin Phoenix (despite 99% of the world adoring him I find him an oddly cold and unlikeable actor) and that hasn't changed.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 22, 2019, 12:59:14 PM
I like Thor 2.

Me too, it's not my favourite by any means and not as good as the first or third, but I'm quite fond of it. It seems a lot of people really dislike the first and give it a good kicking but I think it's a lot of fun, and nowhere near as bad as Iron Man 2.

Mister Six

I love the original Thor - a really charming, funny romp. The only criticism I really have of it is that they should have got rid of Natalie Portman's non-character and made Kat Dennings the love interest. But it's standard Marvel practice for the female lead to be bland as fuck, what can you do?

Phil_A

TBH I thought Thor 2 was the worst thing Marvel Studios have produced so far by a considerable margin

Chris Eccleston completely wasted in a role that could've been played by anyone. Complete tonal mismatch between the visual style the and flailing stabs at humour, which apart from a couple of moments(the best being Thor putting his hammer in the coat-rack, which I believe was a little bit of improv by Hemsworth) fell completely flat.

The Culture Bunker

I woudn't say Thor 2 was crap, but it's certainly just a rung above it. It has enough moments so I don't regret watching it, and Hemsworth and Hiddleston are always good together. I thought the Hulk film was a lot worse, though - Norton was entirely wrong for the role, though he wasn't alone in that.

A telling sign is that Eccleston, despite playing the main villain of the piece, doesn't even get his name on the DVD cover. I gather he doesn't have many positive memories of the experience either.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 22, 2019, 12:54:57 PM

No way, I'm not saying the MCU is Great Art but the people running it deserve a lot of credit for the keeping this thing running so successfully. The DC films are atrocious and the Star Wars franchise was almost immediately driven into the ground once they started trying to make films regularly (even with the public inexplicably treating Episode VII and Rogue One as good)

mothman

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 23, 2019, 05:58:31 PM
A telling sign is that Eccleston, despite playing the main villain of the piece, doesn't even get his name on the DVD cover. I gather he doesn't have many positive memories of the experience either.

Does he ever?

Glebe

Saw it last night... it's kind of a frustrating watch. Stretches of it are quite entertaining, but it's bogged down a bit by exposition and that.

Glebe

Oh yeah, Larson was very good in it... the deaging of Jackson was brilliantly done... slow Internet gags were funny... the use of No Doubt's 'Just a Girl' in the spaceship battle felt a bit tonally wrong to me somehow.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: colacentral on March 17, 2019, 02:12:32 AM
That in itself doesn't make his opinion any more valid of course

I genuinely believe it does.

greenman

Finally got around to watching this and I'd agree its pretty standard lower level Marvel. No real problem with law who I'd also agree has become mostly fine to watch, I would say a combination of improvement and his being better cast these days rather than trying to sell him as a standard protagonist to empathise with quite so much. Mendelsohn was definitely a highlight being the only thing that felt genuinely characterful in the film to me, besides that I admit I ended up in the TLJ like position of thinking it was rather too pleased with itself. There seemed to be this continual sense that it felt it was being funnier, cooler(a lot of the 90's references fell painfully flat IMHO) and more interesting than it actually was.