Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:33:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Captain Marvel

Started by olliebean, December 04, 2018, 12:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 13, 2019, 01:43:51 PM
That works. Although weren't the same things used in Guardians 2, to get them well across the universe? I suppose you can say its less easy to track someone who avoids them or something.

Well they're Guardians of the Galaxy so I would imagine they weren't going across the universe.

QuoteAha, that's interesting, thanks. I agree that it gives it a formal quirk, but there must be plot and future set up stuff in there too, like this sort of thing. I was wondering about it allowing some Guardians backstory stuff too.

I think the appearances by Djimon Honsou and Lee Pace were just a bit of fun fan-friendly casting, and a way to make the supporting characters memorable, given how little they were given to do. I was honestly surprised they got their own credit image.

Mango Chimes

Oh, I don't mean in this film, just pondering what else could have required the 90s setting. If the time travel thing doesn't happen, she's out in space for the last twenty years, so there's potential for historical run-ins with the Guardians and, er, Asgardians and their supporting casts. Thanos himself – she'd have left Earth around the time he was kicking off, assuming Gamora and Nebula age like humans. Maybe they used to be mates and Endgame is just her popping round to have a chat.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 13, 2019, 03:56:48 PM
Oh, I don't mean in this film, just pondering what else could have required the 90s setting.
Allows a bit of space between Captain Marvel and Iron Man for Fury (now aware of the existence of threats from space) to:

a) climb the ladder at SHIELD
b) Research and put together his Avenger Initiative.

Guess it wouldn't have worked so well if it had shown Fury at his desk looking at his TV to see Iron Man zipping around and going "ah-ha! That gives me an idea!"

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 13, 2019, 01:37:10 PM
That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that, so I guess it's what Mister Six said above. Though concerning why Fury hadn't paged her, Kevin Fiege addressed that a couple of days ago suggesting that he might have done so, but she was too busy to respond.

Painters in that week

Mister Six

bgmnts

Obviously not going to watch this but jesus if the Red Letter Media guys can't get a good video out of it, it must be drab. Only lasted 15 mins.

Way too much petty identity politics.

chveik

a Nextwave film? they are beginning to scrape the barrell.

The problem I had with the songs they picked from the 90's were they were a bit obvious. I'm sure this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxxhxjgnC0 would of been far supiror to using Im Just a Girl. It came across as a soundtrack put together by someone who didn't really like mid 90's music at all.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It should have been Shitlist, by L7.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: bgmnts on March 14, 2019, 05:33:32 PM
Obviously not going to watch this but jesus if the Red Letter Media guys can't get a good video out of it, it must be drab. Only lasted 15 mins.

Way too much petty identity politics.

Can anyone explain to me the fascination with these people? Everytime I've tried, including with this one, I just find them totally lacking in any actual insight or capable of making even an interesting point about the most mundane observations. Here, they moan about the film being standard generic superhero fare and then suggest things that would make it even more prosaic, they say it is non-linear when it isn't, and it is pretty crass that after spending five minutes or so criticising Brie Larson for making some hamfisted  remarks about diversity, which they actually seem to agree with overall, going straight on to starting to review the film by talking about how it has 'that guy', 'yeah him from the other marvel film', 'what's his name....Jumanji Houseman?'

Sorry, it that sounds unduly negative, but genuinely I struggle to understand why they keep being brought up as though their verdicts were particularly important, what am I missing here?

madhair60

Red Letter Media is shit, has always been shit, has never made anything even close to a cogent point worth sharing, aren't funny, aren't enlightening, aren't interesting and stand as the patron fucking saints of YouTuber mediocrity. They have nothing to teach and nothing to offer.

The Best Of The Worst Show is where the real gold is at with these fellows. Picked out a few little gems for (spam) from them.

Bad Ambassador

Some of their Half in the Bag shows are interesting - especially when tearing into something worthy of derision - but they REALLY struggle when trying to tackle anything approaching a serious issue. Their privilege really shows through, no more so than when they laid into Ghostbusters 2016 with sufficient glee to make me very uncomfortable. The later Plinkett video was a much-needed redress, in which the film was forensically pulled apart, but in a very thoughtful way and making a point of praising the makers' other work. It was a much more intelligent measured piece.

Best of the Worst is generally excellent. It's a pity that the episode where Rich stumbles through a monologue attempting to summarise the new Neil Breen film also features Max Landis, celebrity rapist and human car alarm.

I recommend Wheel of the Worst 5, in which they watch some incomprehensible Japanese video called SOS, and it gradually dawns on them what they're looking at. I shan't spoil it for you, but its worth your time.

I wouldn't consider them comedy geniuses or anything, but they're vastly more entertaining than most of the other Youtube film reviewers - either the utterly bland likes of Chris Stuckman or the trying and failing to be funny Nostalgia Critic and his ilk. Heck, I'd say they're no less insightful than Mark Kermode and people seem to think he's not shit.

Blumf

Their re:View strand is also worth a punt. Focusing on older films that are interesting in one way or another.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 15, 2019, 12:21:32 PM
I wouldn't consider them comedy geniuses or anything, but they're vastly more entertaining than most of the other Youtube film reviewers - either the utterly bland likes of Chris Stuckman or the trying and failing to be funny Nostalgia Critic and his ilk. Heck, I'd say they're no less insightful than Mark Kermode and people seem to think he's not shit.
I can't stand Chris Stuckman, I always got the feeling he would do good reviews for money the shill.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on March 15, 2019, 12:52:25 AM
The problem I had with the songs they picked from the 90's were they were a bit obvious. I'm sure this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxxhxjgnC0 would of been far supiror to using Im Just a Girl. It came across as a soundtrack put together by someone who didn't really like mid 90's music at all.

It was all hit songs, but I think that's fine - they're mostly heard on the radio, I think Just A Girl's the only non-diagetic one. It's still an unusual soundtrack, and a good one. I was surprised by Elastica as I didn't know they were big in America.

The Just A Girl sequence seems to have annoyed some people as being a bit on the nose, but that also seems influenced by how much people like the song itself. I only wish it was directed and edited a bit better. It wasn't tight enough to the song and clunkily stopped for a dialogue scene, when it really could have benefited from an Edgar Wright treatment, or Tarantino's Crazy 88 sequence. It's also slightly hamstrung by the fact that it's a big fight sequence with people who really pose no realistic threat, but they could have had more fun with launching people around the place to the music.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 15, 2019, 11:58:17 AM
Some of their Half in the Bag shows are interesting - especially when tearing into something worthy of derision - but they REALLY struggle when trying to tackle anything approaching a serious issue. Their privilege really shows through, no more so than when they laid into Ghostbusters 2016 with sufficient glee to make me very uncomfortable. The later Plinkett video was a much-needed redress, in which the film was forensically pulled apart, but in a very thoughtful way and making a point of praising the makers' other work. It was a much more intelligent measured piece.

Best of the Worst is generally excellent. It's a pity that the episode where Rich stumbles through a monologue attempting to summarise the new Neil Breen film also features Max Landis, celebrity rapist and human car alarm.

Even as someone with a degree of scepticism about "woke blockbusters", their hang-up around what they see as "diversity pandering" is tedious. Fair enough to take a brief shot at people buying a ticket to a Disney film and thinking they've taken a political stance, but to pop at Brie Larson for ten minutes because of a speech she gave a year ago and which has been dissected on the internet non-stop ever since is, at best, deeply unnecessary.

I haven't really watched the Best of the Worstes because I rarely enjoy that kind of thing (even MST3K), but I did see the Landis one and even pre-allegations hearing the poster boy for nepotism bellow that anyone, even Neel Breen, shouldn't be allowed to make a film was galling.

Mister Six

Quote from: chveik on March 14, 2019, 06:35:09 PM
a Nextwave film? they are beginning to scrape the barrell.

Wait, are they doing a Nextwave film? Nextwave was fucking brilliant. Something by the Spiderverse bods, scripted (or co-scripted) by Ellis would be amazing.

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on March 15, 2019, 12:52:25 AM

Or liked different things to you. I agree that would have been a more fun song for the scene, but the music snobbery ("Oh, if you don't use X I guess you don't like music") is a bit boring.

Rebel Girl was featured in Doom Patrol a couple of weeks back, if you want to hear it in a superhero context.

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 15, 2019, 01:47:14 PM
The Just A Girl sequence seems to have annoyed some people as being a bit on the nose, but that also seems influenced by how much people like the song itself. I only wish it was directed and edited a bit better.

And wasn't lit so badly that it seemed to have been shot through a mouldy fishtank. I can't get over how appalling the cinematography was, Jesus Christ. It's because nobody learns on film any more, so there's less pretty to get it right first time.

And yes, drably directed. There were quite a few fun bits in there, like the beef gun and people being twatted with pinball machines, but it felt weirdly flat.

Mister Six

Ignore - post consolidation.

Beef gun? If that's not a euphemism, I don't know what is.

Mister Six

Ha. Autocorrected "Nerf gun".

Quote from: Mister Six on March 15, 2019, 03:16:30 PM

Or liked different things to you. I agree that would have been a more fun song for the scene, but the music snobbery ("Oh, if you don't use X I guess you don't like music") is a bit boring.

They also missed the opportunity to use this classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3yCa_Li04Y when she turns up in the post credits sequence. No, I wasn't being a music snob, by using such obvious songs in an obvious way robs them the power to create an iconic moment. Look how Gunn, Tarantino or Wright used music in their body of works and compare it to the use in Captin Marvel or Sucide Squad. Its music mandated by comitte rather than an artistic vision.

Mister Six

Well I don't disagree with that, I suppose.

This was probably the third or fourth best Marvel movie overall.  The only bad parts were the music cues and the Skrull child.

Anyone who disagrees has poor taste.

Quote from: Talulah, really! on March 15, 2019, 10:32:01 AM
Can anyone explain to me the fascination with these people? Everytime I've tried, including with this one, I just find them totally lacking in any actual insight or capable of making even an interesting point about the most mundane observations. Here, they moan about the film being standard generic superhero fare and then suggest things that would make it even more prosaic, they say it is non-linear when it isn't, and it is pretty crass that after spending five minutes or so criticising Brie Larson for making some hamfisted  remarks about diversity, which they actually seem to agree with overall, going straight on to starting to review the film by talking about how it has 'that guy', 'yeah him from the other marvel film', 'what's his name....Jumanji Houseman?'

Sorry, it that sounds unduly negative, but genuinely I struggle to understand why they keep being brought up as though their verdicts were particularly important, what am I missing here?

They are actually quite funny as long as they stay away from politics or contrarian takes on current events. I almost never agree with their takes on movies, but then again I almost never agree with any movie critics. Has anyone ever suggested their verdicts on movies are important?

colacentral

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 17, 2019, 12:04:22 AM
They are actually quite funny as long as they stay away from politics or contrarian takes on current events. I almost never agree with their takes on movies, but then again I almost never agree with any movie critics. Has anyone ever suggested their verdicts on movies are important?

Yes, every other thread for a new film has someone posting a link with "RLM guys liked it" or "RLM guys didn't like it," so I'd say so.

Baffles me too; load of shit. Not funny, insightful, or likeable at all.

I don't agree with the poster comparing them favourably to Kermode: he can be a pillock but he's a "serious" film buff, someone who'd be up for watching an 8 hour black and white Guatemalan film about a sad pig farmer and say he was in floods of tears during it. That in itself doesn't make his opinion any more valid of course, and everything's subjective anyway, but with RLM we're talking about a fairly superficial level of knowledge and insight in comparison. I'll grant that they are above the likes of youtube chancers like Stuckman etc, but that's a pretty low bar.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: colacentral on March 17, 2019, 02:12:32 AM
but with RLM we're talking about a fairly superficial level of knowledge and insight in comparison

Everyone has their blind spots and Kermode is definitely no exception there.

BritishHobo

Red Letter Media are fucking shitehawk, and I'll never understand their deification on the internet, except I do a bit because their view on films is basically the same as any fucker on reddit.

As much as I have to grit my teeth because I fucking hate celebrating shitcunt monopoly bastards like Disney for doing the bare minimum of representation in their films, it's good at least to have a major blockbuster Marvel movie pushing the idea of seeing war from the other side and realising the people demonised as terrorist baddies invading worlds are actually just refugees trying to find a home because the 'good guys' have bombed the shit out of their home. It'll do nothing for your type who are already pissed off by there being a woman one in this, but it's nice to think that message is there for kids who'll grow up with this film.

Quote from: colacentral on March 17, 2019, 02:12:32 AM
I don't agree with the poster comparing them favourably to Kermode: he can be a pillock but he's a "serious" film buff...
Not his entire critical career perhaps, just the radio show. It also seems to be taken as a piece of entertainment in its own right ("Looking forward to another legendary rant from the good doctor") and the reviews are as deep as a puddle ("It gave me three big laughs").