Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:50:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I miss Robin Williams

Started by zomgmouse, December 04, 2018, 01:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Still a pang in my heart when I think back that he's gone, and the way he went, and the joy and pathos he carried.

I'm reading a biography of John Belushi at the moment and there was a little paragraph on them meeting and I got a little sad thinking about it all. Williams was such a great light.

Anyone else?

neveragain

Yes, it still hurts. There's some good stuff about him in Eric Idle's new book.

the science eel

Did you see the HBO doc? I really enjoyed that. Especially Pam Dawber and Robin's son Zak's contributions.

Grew up on his films, Hook, Mrs. Doubtfire and Jumanji are the ones I remember. He was the first actor i recognised from film to film and the first film I saw in the cinema was Flubber (I remember being sceptical of trying new things, but my parents saying "it's got Robin Williams in it, you like him"). I also recall seeing an trailer for one of his stand-up shows at the beginning of one of my grandmother's VHS tapes. It was quick clips of him standing on stage being silly, and lots of people laughing. I put it together in my head "this guys job is to be silly and make people laugh?" My tiny mind was blown. Because of those formative experiences from that point forward there was always the subconscious association in my mind that " a funny person" was "someone who is like Robin Williams". And in a small way that remains to this day.

He's much missed.

Thosworth

It has to be said that his roles ranged from Morkish to mawkish

Glebe

QuoteI miss Robin Williams

We all do, mate.

Brundle-Fly

Malcy

I finally got round to watching Mrs Doubtfire recently for the first time since he died. It's one of my favourite films but I still felt quite sad all the way through it.

I think it will be a while still before I can watch his stuff again without being too bogged down in sadness.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on December 05, 2018, 01:25:16 AM
I finally got round to watching Mrs Doubtfire recently for the first time since he died. It's one of my favourite films but I still felt quite sad all the way through it.

I think it will be a while still before I can watch his stuff again without being too bogged down in sadness.

The scene where Mrs. Doubtfire sets fire to her humongous tits used to elicit howls of joyful laughter.  Now it only elicits tears of mournful anguish.  What was once a comedy is now a tragedy but let us remember the good times.  We should enjoy the flaming hooters in the spirit in which they were presented to us by Mr. Williams; boobarious.

Bennett Brauer

<tag>I miss Robin Williams thread in Comedy Chat a few weeks ago

madhair60

Quite on the contrary, I personally find myself increasingly glad that he is gone.

Not really, but I thought I'd mix it up. Mix it the fuck up.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: madhair60 on December 05, 2018, 09:32:19 AM
Quite on the contrary, I personally find myself increasingly glad that he is gone.

Not really, but I thought I'd mix it up. Mix it the fuck up.
It's what he would of wanted.

Death to Smoochy is good isn't it

I can't believe how long ago it happened, seems like only yesterday. His performance last Saturday with the rest of the lads really rolled back the years but you just know it was a one-off.

RIP

Oscillations.

Bazooka

Its strange watching the downbeat scenes from any of his films now in retrospective, he was a great actor but you can genuinely see the pain in his eyes which was clearly not just what the role required.

One of the greats.

McFlymo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzv6EhE7Cbo

Amazing stuff. The Fisher King is still one of my favourite films!

Noodle Lizard

Am I misremembering or was he one of those "popular to hate" figures before he died?  Among comedians or comedy fans anyway.

I always had a lot of time for him.  Live On Broadway is the first full stand-up set I remember watching - I think live on HBO whilst on a family holiday - and probably the main thing that got me into stand-up.  I liked his acting too.  Of course he was in some absolutely crap movies (watched Jack again recently with the stepson and it's baffling), but gotta admire him for being pretty adventurous and varied with his choices.  I urge anyone who hasn't seen it already to check out One Hour Photo for his painfully-observed loner, and World's Greatest Dad is just plain good - though I haven't watched it since he died, which would probably make it a bit less comfortable given the content.

Anyway, top bloke.

kalowski

Yes, miss him too. A fucking hero. Even in his shit films i like him and when he's on form... he's a fucking star.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 08, 2018, 07:24:33 PM
Am I misremembering or was he one of those "popular to hate" figures before he died?  Among comedians or comedy fans anyway.

I always had a lot of time for him.  Live On Broadway is the first full stand-up set I remember watching - I think live on HBO whilst on a family holiday - and probably the main thing that got me into stand-up.

I think my favourite sets of his are Class Clown, Live at the Sunset Strip, and Bill Cosby Himself.  Yes, he stole jokes.

That WTF interview is still searingly raw.  He was so desperate to unburden himself and forge a real connection.  You can't help but love him in spite of everything.

up_the_hampipe

I'm sure people were a lot more honest about him when he was alive, whereas now they're trying to be respectful. He was a notorious joke thief, which is why a lot of comedians probably didn't like him, also his style certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea.

St_Eddie

Two scenes from Peep Show spring to mind...

Quote from: Peep ShowJez: We should get together, you know, have a drink, reminisce.

Nancy: About what? The time you screwed the next-door neighbour right after I moved in?

Jez: Or the good times? You know, the Robin Williams DVD marathon?

Nancy: Come off it, Jez. You said he was a moist-eyed camera-hogger.

Quote from: Peep ShowJez: Last night we had to watch a whole load of Robin Williams' movies.

Toni: Oh, Robin Williams? That sap? She likes him? That is so sappy. The guy is a stupid little... gherkin and so's anyone who likes him.

Jez: Yeah.  He is a bit like a gherkin.

It's true, he was a bit gherkin-esque.  R.I.P. Hairy Gherkin Man.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 08, 2018, 07:45:19 PM
...also his style certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Much like the gherkin in a McDonald's burger.

MattD

Ach, Peep Show's a load of shite. Mrs Doubtfire beats that show to a pulp.

St_Eddie

Quote from: MattD on December 08, 2018, 09:19:25 PM
Ach, Peep Show's a load of shite. Mrs Doubtfire beats that show to a pulp.

Peep Show is great.  Mrs. Doubtfire is great.  Peep Show is funnier.  Mrs. Doubtfire has more heart.  It's all good.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 05, 2018, 01:05:00 AM
Miss him too. A complex man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa7bo5YdkQ0

A complex man. A deep man. A flawed man. A brilliant man. I remember a story about a special acting class that they came up with, a special acting class. Only the most gifted actors in their school were allowed to be in this class. They only allowed two actors to be in this class, Robin Williams and Christopher Reeve were the only ones allowed.

Accused of theft by many a stand up comedian, pinned to the wall he would write out a TV money cheque by way of recompense. On his day there was no stand up comedian who was better. A serious actor, a complicated and brilliant man. A unique man.

He died of some brain disease that Bobcat Goldthwait makes reference to at the end of his Joe Rogan podcast appearance. Good Morning Vietnam is the film that I remember first being aware of his incandescence.