Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:33:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The integrity initiative

Started by biggytitbo, December 04, 2018, 02:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 15, 2019, 01:23:20 PM
Thank you. Much to consider.

It's fairly minor issue in the bigger picture but I'm intrigued by this doping in sport stuff too that was mentioned in one of the documents.

It's histotically been the case that if the Soviets do it considered systematic and is the direct responsibility of the government of USSR/Russia but in the West it's outliers going against the rules. Particularly in 80s and 90s I'm convinced the US had a systematic doping policy in place (Carl Lewis admits failed drug tests were covered up before his multiple gold winning Olympics runs and his modern day defence is "everyone was doing it"). And Flo-Jo died yet if we think about steroids in athletics it's always the Soviet/Russian stories that get brought up ("they turned a woman into a man").

Then we've had Lance Armstrong and even in last few weeks USADA has been proven to be complicit with drugs cheats in the Jon Jones case. The American doping system is rotten to its core but it's Russia that gets systematic ban.

Sorry if that not relèvent. Just an interesting to me parallel to bigger issue.

You could also consider the UK state-sponsored (and US assisted) doping of its athletes in recent decades.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 15, 2019, 02:23:21 PM
You could also consider the UK state-sponsored (and US assisted) doping of its athletes in recent decades.

Nah mate, it's all just them marginal gains innit!! You don't need roids when you can spend £50k on a new spoke.

biggytitbo

The only substantial difference between Russia and the US on doping as the latter outsourced their cheating to the private sector. The fact that virtually every major American sprinter in modern history has been caught doping says it all - not just a few bad apples is it?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 15, 2019, 02:43:52 PM
The only substantial difference between Russia and the US on doping as the latter outsourced their cheating to the private sector. The fact that virtually every major American sprinter in modern history has been caught doping says it all - not just a few bad apples is it?

Private sector includes Team GB and Team Sky, for example in the UK.

Mr_Simnock

QuoteYou could also consider the UK state-sponsored (and US assisted) doping of its athletes in recent decades.

a load of bollocks

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 15, 2019, 03:15:13 PM
a load of bollocks

LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY

Imperialist mentality sees us through these hard times!

No-one will take away are Akabusi's, our Linford's, our Jessica Ennis-Goodknights!!!

hummingofevil

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 15, 2019, 03:32:37 PM
LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY

Imperialist mentality sees us through these hard times!

No-one will take away are Akabusi's, our Linford's, our Jessica Ennis-Goodknights!!!

But I hate Sebastian Coe.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 15, 2019, 01:23:20 PM
It's fairly minor issue in the bigger picture but I'm intrigued by this doping in sport stuff too that was mentioned in one of the documents.

Now that's a very interesting topic I can shed some light on.

I was passed a bunch of internal IOC files by the bears (including emails) last yeat indicating several US and European Olympic athletes (including medal winners) have been dinged for AAFs (Adverse Analytical Findings) without a TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption), but not been penalized or investigated. In fact, the tone of the emails is very much cover up, discussing ways in which rules can be circumvented (such as securing a "retroactive TUE" for offending individuals), and stressing the need to move quickly as delaying would "look bad" if discovered.

Likewise, from the files it very much appears the McLaren report was politically motivated, set up to specifically ensure Russia was banned, and indeed the wole team was banned in one go, rather than investigated individually (I wonder why).

Prior to receiving the documents I'd long-suspected doping was rife in sports in general, particularly in the US. I have friends who attended US universities and played for one or more 'home teams', it was an unwritten rule you could get away with pretty much anything in your system if you could stump up a prescription within a month of discovery, and given the US healthcare system seems to largely operate on the basis of patients visiting their doctors and demanding a prescription for this or that substance (often off the back of slick TV adverts), that's a helluva lotta leeway. Add to this seemingly every Olympics sees several records shattered. This is fairly consistent. I know we're getting better and better at understanding fitness, health, training, nutrition etc. but...really? Each and every year?

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 14, 2019, 06:48:58 PM
I can't see how anyone following this can come to objective conclusion that one side or the other are in the right.

It's not about one side being 'right' or not for me at all. As bigs said, the target of this disinfo is us. The II exists to protect elite power and Western hegemony, by concocting false narratives and constructing a bogeyman villain.

hummingofevil

In the USA's defence I think the culture of doping developed around US sports where the attitude was it's our business and not affecting any other country so who cares (though as with the case of Barry Bonds it proved that when it comes to the near religious regard baseball records are held by many, actually a lot of people cared quite a lot).

Of course in track and field and other sports this idea is itself wrong and systematic US doping was part of a sporting arms race throughout 20th Century. Of course there is no duty of care to the athletes themselves and I've often wondered if the fact the recepiehts of lethal levels of PEDs almost always tended to be young black athletes is entirely a coincidence or whether it was felt they were more dispensable. I'm over-reaching hère but as I've already mentioned whatever the intention, people died.

I simply don't trust the narrative that Soviet cheating was led by super villains and western cheating is wide-eyed individuals tragically trying to gain that little bit extra. Authorities are complicit. Even now Justin Gaitin has "served his time" but that doesn't justify Nike getting right behind him again.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 15, 2019, 04:44:14 PM
I simply don't trust the narrative that Soviet cheating was led by super villains and western cheating is wide-eyed individuals tragically trying to gain that little bit extra. Authorities are complicit. Even now Justin Gaitin has "served his time" but that doesn't justify Nike getting right behind him again.

I've read a number of books about sports in the GDR and it seems a lot of East German athletes were doped without their consent or even knowledge - slipped to them covertly during training etc. There are women who are now guys n ting.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on January 15, 2019, 04:46:23 PM
I've read a number of books about sports in the GDR and it seems a lot of East German athletes were doped without their consent or even knowledge - slipped to them covertly during training etc. There are women who are now guys n ting.

Ok. Fair enough. Maybe you are right and the Soviets really are worse. :)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 15, 2019, 05:02:40 PM
Ok. Fair enough. Maybe you are right and the Soviets really are worse. :)

Christ.

biggytitbo

America's private sector approach to doping involved the authorities turning a blind eye or actively covering up failed drug tests amongst its athletes on a massive scale, many of whom - like Carl Lewis, went on to win gold medals without anyone even knowing they'd failed said drug tests. I don't know if that should count as 'better' than centrally coordinating it, but they knew full well it was going on and athletics success at any costs was every bit as political to them as it was the Russians or anyone else.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 15, 2019, 04:44:14 PM

As well you shouldn't.

hummingofevil

Well guys. Been following today's developments with interest. The Facebook stuff is fascinating and it's been reported as a straight story in the usual places. Also, very intrigued by the idea of fake anti-semite pro Corbyn accounts as I've thought for years it's rather strange how I've literally met no one who supports Corbyn and hates Jews and always considered the possibility of it being a fake smear campaign. Not for one second to tolerate race hate from left where it does exist and has been proven to exist but I always was suspicious of the specific issue of anoymous accounts abusing people online being somehow being the direct responsibility of Corbyn and the "hard-left".

Do you genuinely think this Facebook stuff is direct response to you visibly digging some dirt on II?

Also, I'm trying to be as objective as possible and question everything you posting (as hopefully you would want it to be that way) but is  bizarre how only reason I've even heard of this is because less than a handful of people are discussing it on a sub forum of a comedy website. Watching it play out in real time makes it rather more convincing that you are onto something.

Is this being more widely shared elsewhere outside of the obvious main stream press or is it just a complete collective shrug?

hummingofevil

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 15, 2019, 06:05:44 PM
America's private sector approach to doping involved the authorities turning a blind eye or actively covering up failed drug tests amongst its athletes on a massive scale, many of whom - like Carl Lewis, went on to win gold medals without anyone even knowing they'd failed said drug tests. I don't know if that should count as 'better' than centrally coordinating it, but they knew full well it was going on and athletics success at any costs was every bit as political to them as it was the Russians or anyone else.

I've no idea if you follow MMA but USADA (who are paid by UFC to oversee their PED policy) basically made up a load of scientific bollocks to excuse Jon Jones of another failed drug test that would have resulted in a 4 year ban (and losses to UFC of millions of dollars and one of their top tier stars). This is a man who then goes on to beat the crap out of people so no duty of care there to fighter or, more importantly, his opponent. In this case it is financially driven and it's so obvious it's hard for anyone to deny the reality of what is going on but these same people are overseeing drugs policy across multiple sports in the US. To call them corrupt is being generous.

biggytitbo

Yes I was just reading the fake antisemitism accounts story, those sort of fake accounts are absolutely rife on twitter so it wouldn't be surprising if it's true.

It's such a cheap and easy way of generating 'organic' smears against whoever you want, without even having to recruit journalists, that it'll be a commonplace technique of the intellegence agencies, whether contracted out to the likes of II or whether in house.

biggytitbo

Village idiot and serial liar Ben nimmo gloating about another purge of Facebook accounts from the 'former USSR' for the Orwellian sounding 'inauthentic behaviour

Doesn't mention, of course, the propoganda outlet he works for was behind it.

biggytitbo

They're coming for sputnik now, for committing the ultimste heresy of critising NATO

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 17, 2019, 06:45:19 PM
Well guys. Been following today's developments with interest. The Facebook stuff is fascinating and it's been reported as a straight story in the usual places.

Lot to discuss there. I don't think it's necessarily a direct response, the attempt to suppress RT/Sputnik content online and on social media has been ongoing for a very long time and it wasn't that long ago the Atlantic Council 'helped' Facebook close down hundreds of independent media pages and journalist accounts on very tenuous grounds indeed. Of course colleagues of mine interviewed some of those who'd been silenced and this was then cited as proof they were serving the Kremlin's agenda. Still, it's amazingly good timing and clear this deffo was done at the behest of the Council - examples of "inauthentic behaviour" cited by Facebook including posting "anti-NATO sentiment, protest movements, and anti-corruption" content, all phrases echoing throughout all their bullshit publications about Russian cyberwarfare and Nimmo's writings on the topic. Moreover, what media coverage of the purge fails to acknowledge is most of these allegedly dodgy accounts being run by Sputnik employees are...official Sputnik pages. Shock fucking horror. Yet this is presented as inherently sinister somehow.

This has gotten some pick up in alternative circles, particularly in the US, in part due to the work of Max Blumenthal, in part due to Yanks' disgust that Britain is openly meddling in its politics. Other than that some conspiracy sites seem to have picked up on it a bit (and gotten key details wrong) and there's been a tiny bit of interest in the international media, particularly Germany. But literally nothing else that I've seen.

biggytitbo

You've really really annoyed some of the worst people in msm 'journalism', so that's good, but isn't it amazing how incredibly childish some of them are?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 20, 2019, 11:58:57 AM
You've really really annoyed some of the worst people in msm 'journalism', so that's good, but isn't it amazing how incredibly childish some of them are?

Have you never seen the mask slip from the face of these middle-class, beige men of the leafy suburbs. Their mid-life crisis wank secrets exposed in BHS on a Saturday afternoon - all feet stomping and mouth frothing. Their entitled wails as the security guards remove them from the ladies lingerie section. Their feeble frames exploding with rage, easily buffeted by the burly staff members. Deluded and impotent fuckwits, the lot of them.

biggytitbo

With the latest Russiagate bombshell about Michael Cohen, like all the others, embarrassingly collapsing, Glenn greenwald has had a bit of fun listing the top 10 fake Russiagate stories here - https://theintercept.com/2019/01/20/beyond-buzzfeed-the-10-worst-most-embarrassing-u-s-media-failures-on-the-trumprussia-story/

And there's a list of dozens of other false Russiagate stories here - https://twitter.com/djjohnso/status/1086427844459163649

What we are seeing here is the largest and most shameful collective failure of the msm in modern history. Actual journalism has long since left the building and what were left with is a toxic mix of giddy carelessness, grifting, and malicious, premeditated deception.

Pepotamo1985

biggytitbo

That just reaffirms the suspicion, as with Harding, that the more these people lie and fabricate, the more they fall upwards and are rewarded with great riches, whilst those that tell the truth end up banished to the media equivalent of the outer hebrides.

Pepotamo1985

https://www.integrityinitiative.net/

QuoteAll content has been temporarily removed from this site, pending an investigation into the theft of data from the Institute for Statecraft and its programme, the Integrity Initiative.

Initial findings indicate that the theft was part of a campaign to undermine the work of the Integrity Initiative in researching, publicising and countering the threat to European democracies from disinformation and other forms of hybrid warfare.

The website will be relaunched shortly. In the meantime, we expect to be able to publish an analysis of the hack and its significance in the near future.

We are keen to trace both the source of the hack and the use to which our data - some genuine, some falsified - has been put. If you have any information that you think may be of relevance, please contact us here.

Wonder if this related to my probing weird Skripal-related content on the site - such as staffer Dan Kaszeta noting he met Mark Urban ('Skripal Files' author) "several times".

biggytitbo

hummingofevil

Again fascinating to watch. But sincere question. What was the extent of communication between Trump and to what level did Russians attempt to interfere with elections. I've always assumed Trump is a useful idiot to Putin and he knows if Trump is there he is literally incapable of being competant in the job so it's a Russia win by default.

With the hacking of the emails and what not do you believe there is no truth in it or just that the Status-quo media are only reporting one side of the story.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 21, 2019, 11:17:15 PM
Again fascinating to watch. But sincere question. What was the extent of communication between Trump and to what level did Russians attempt to interfere with elections. I've always assumed Trump is a useful idiot to Putin and he knows if Trump is there he is literally incapable of being competant in the job so it's a Russia win by default.

With the hacking of the emails and what not do you believe there is no truth in it or just that the Status-quo media are only reporting one side of the story.

What has Putin achieved that the liberals and russiaphobes haven't already succeeded in with this nonsense? I see no gains for either the US or Russia in the short-term at least.