Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:51:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Convoluted Song Lyrics

Started by yesitsme, December 04, 2018, 04:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesitsme

Paul Young was just warbling on the kitchen radio and he sung the line...

'..cryin' cos she doesn't have a dress without a patch for the party to go...'

It's always a line that's scared me in case I ever had to translate it in to German.

Another one is...

'...cos the mongrel laid a cable in the sandpit of the playground of the park where they had been...'

Both conjure up quite different images but can any other Metro reader think of more convulated ways to express ideas in the medium of song?

Shit Good Nose

[tag]Jon Anderson enters thread suntower watching for the self instructor's sharp and tender love cross divide past immortal as we blue tail tail fly cover other lover with the younger moon attained with love owner of a lonely heart[/tag]

sevendaughters

I liked when Wu got high on their own farts re: the metaphysical content of their work and would cough up shite like

Watch this fly, force feed things being said
Nine Diagram acid black evil red left his
mic half a dangle, seriouser man
My mic clapper def wish, everlasting plan
heavenly God body, know me as the cleaner
Night champion, old villain style seem a
kiss of spider, to God saga why bother
Godfather talk drama, fly swatters

TheMonk

And I believe
These are the days of lasers in the jungle
Lasers in the jungle somewhere
Staccato signals of constant information
A loose affiliation of millionaires
And billionaires and baby

Clownbaby

I always get this with Interpol. I would like the song PDA if the lyrics weren't so clumsy. Every time I start listening to it I think oh this is nice and then very quickly nah can't be bothered with the rest of it and it's because the lyrics just sound like he's reading them out of a book while making up a melody to make them sound like a song.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 04, 2018, 08:07:18 PM
[tag]Jon Anderson enters thread suntower watching for the self instructor's sharp and tender love cross divide past immortal as we blue tail tail fly cover other lover with the younger moon attained with love owner of a lonely heart[/tag]

Lol. I was just popping in to post some Jon Anderson from Olias Of Polyunsaturated Olive Oil

"... There stands Olias to outward to build a ship
Holding within all we hope to retain
The frame will be so built to challenge the universe
Clasped with the skins of the fish of the plain
Mastered volcano erupt with the pleasure
And sing to the power, we will sail to the East
And all hands shall rise to the call..."

a duncandisorderly

flotemysost

The grammar in the spoken word bit of Just A Man by Faith No More is all over the place. I think most of their lyrics are very original and eloquent, but then you've got this shambles:

Man was born to love
Though often he has sought
Like Icarus, to fly too high
And far too lonely than he ought
To kiss the sum of east and west
And hold the world at his behest
To hold the terrible power
To whom only gods are blessed
But me, I am just a man

Chriddof

Quote from: TheMonk on December 04, 2018, 09:38:39 PM
And I believe
These are the days of lasers in the jungle
Lasers in the jungle somewhere
Staccato signals of constant information
A loose affiliation of millionaires
And billionaires and baby

I'd disagree with that being in this thread. Seeing as the song (The Boy In The Bubble by Paul Simon, in case anyone doesn't know) is all about a bloke who's continually astounded by the constant development of technology and the way it collides with the natural world, I think it flows okay in a stream-of-consciousness manner. He's thinking of distant jungles teeming with computers and satellite links broadcasting those fabled "500 channels of television" into every American home. (And this was back in the 80s when enthusing about tech was fine, because most people involved tended to be idealistic former hippies instead of the repulsive Reaganite youth running the show now.) I'd say the only convoluted bit is "...billionaires and baby", and even then in context you realise Simon's addressing someone when he launches into the chorus one final time. And that's the most I've ever written about anything Paul Simon's done.