Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:12:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How do I get over my hatred of Jonah Hill?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 04, 2018, 06:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

The fuckers everywhere these days you see, including some movies which I really like and want to see, but I find the bloke just really annoying. His sense of humour irritates me, as does the fact that he was born in to a wealthy family and only got his first film role because he was friends with Dustin Hoffman's children. Then there's the homophobic slur incident when he screamed ""Suck my dick, you faggot!" at some paparazzi, and the fact that he appeared in Sausage Party, a film that I hate so much that I spent eight months in prison for threatening the lives of the cast and crew. But he's clearly inescapable so I'm going to have work out a way to like him somehow, does anyone have any ideas?

Twed

Shit Good Nose

Or Moneyball.  As far as I can remember he plays that one 100% straight.

magval

He's brilliant in Moneyball, brilliant.

Also mate i saw 'Jonah Hill Rulz OK' writtern on the back door of Easons in Coleraine and everyhing else on that door has cum true like

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Twed on December 04, 2018, 07:38:04 PM
Try watching Maniac?

Yeah, tried that, didn't despise him in it but got a bit bored after the second episode.

Quote from: magval on December 04, 2018, 08:23:56 PM
He's brilliant in Moneyball, brilliant.

Also mate i saw 'Jonah Hill Rulz OK' writtern on the back door of Easons in Coleraine and everyhing else on that door has cum true like

Doesn't sound like my kind of film to be honest, but I might try it one day.

monolith

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 04, 2018, 06:56:14 PM
The fuckers everywhere these days you see, including some movies which I really like and want to see, but I find the bloke just really annoying. His sense of humour irritates me, as does the fact that he was born in to a wealthy family and only got his first film role because he was friends with Dustin Hoffman's children. Then there's the homophobic slur incident when he screamed ""Suck my dick, you faggot!" at some paparazzi, and the fact that he appeared in Sausage Party, a film that I hate so much that I spent eight months in prison for threatening the lives of the cast and crew. But he's clearly inescapable so I'm going to have work out a way to like him somehow, does anyone have any ideas?
He couldn't help the family he was born in to and the homophobic slur was a moment where he lost control and said some stupid shit after being baited which most people have done at some point in their lives (I know I've said far worse in the heat of the moment and regretted it after).

I can't help you with the Sausage party or a general dislike of his sense of humour though.

Shit Good Nose

Oh, True Story as well, BUT that has other problems, namely James Franco, the fact that the film overall, as a film, is a bit mediocre, and it's also grim and depressing as fuck.

Moneyball's good - I have zero interest in sport, to the point of actively disliking it, but it's a really engaging and interesting film and everyone is nice and low key in it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: monolith on December 04, 2018, 08:29:40 PM
He couldn't help the family he was born in to and the homophobic slur was a moment where he lost control and said some stupid shit after being baited which most people have done at some point in their lives (I know I've said far worse in the heat of the moment and regretted it after).

I can't help you with the Sausage party or a general dislike of his sense of humour though.

I'll admit the family thing is an unfair way to judge him but nothing else, nothing at all!

Just looked up Moneyball and it's 2 hours 13 minutes and if I hate it it may see me end up in a mental asylum again. Plus I've see him in things I liked (the ridiculously daft Wolves Of Wall Street for instance) but the minute it's over my dislike of him has kicked back in again. I might have to try hypnotherapy, I fear it'll be the only way.

Rolf Lundgren

Here's a short video of Jonah getting insulted in different interviews that might make you feel sorry for him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZKiRRYNn1s

Sin Agog

He does give off the same James Cordeny vibe of someone who doesn't know how to exchange insults properly.  Like should you mention that his character in Maniac is a bit comatose, his rejoinder, in a cracked, tearful voice, beads of sweat dripping from his forehead, would probably be, "Yeah, at least my dad didn't hang himself by his tie in the utility closet because he couldn't stand to see his family another day." What I'm saying is there's something a bit bratty and precious about him.  Like a male Lena Dunham.

up_the_hampipe

How about the time he went on Fallon and talked shit about Glee actor Matthew Morrison? There's a refreshing authenticity to it, even if it's a story performed on a talk show, there's a tension in the air because it feels like a story that shouldn't be public (due to Glee's squeaky clean image at the time) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB6BFg_xgXg

It kept getting taken down off YouTube and other sites for a while, but I think they gave up.

checkoutgirl

I like him. His Maron interview made him sound like a really nice person. That Apocalypse film is okay. Sirus is fine. The gunrunner film he did is decent. Moneyball and Wolf are good. Even 21 Jump has it's moments. I'm not a huge fan but I'm on the pro side.

Much more egregious eejits to moan about and despise. His Franco, Baruchel, Rogan, McBride cliqueness is annoying but personally I find the idea of Jonah Hill more annoying than when I actually engage with any of his output.

Sin Agog

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 04, 2018, 11:25:55 PM
How about the time he went on Fallon and talked shit about Glee actor Matthew Morrison? There's a refreshing authenticity to it, even if it's a story performed on a talk show, there's a tension in the air because it feels like a story that shouldn't be public (due to Glee's squeaky clean image at the time) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB6BFg_xgXg

It kept getting taken down off YouTube and other sites for a while, but I think they gave up.

I never realised before how much he sounds like Jeff Spicoli.

checkoutgirl

The suck my dick you faggot quote (it's hardly an incident) makes me like him more if anything because if that's the most dirt you can dig up on him he sounds like a veritable angel. Especially in Hollywood where temptation lurks around every corner.

SteveDave

He's quite good in "Don't Worry He Won't Get Far On Foot" which also has the added bonus of Joaquin Phoenix bombing about on a wheelchair.

Famous Mortimer

I hate him too. Just watch movies and TV without him in.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Jump Street films are ace, although Hill isn't a patch on Channing Tatum in them.

chveik

he's awful, but Seth Rogen is still worse than him

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 04, 2018, 11:25:55 PM

That did actually make me feel sorry for him and now I only dislike rather than hate him, so thanks for that.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 04, 2018, 11:32:54 PM
I like him. His Maron interview made him sound like a really nice person. That Apocalypse film is okay. Sirus is fine. The gunrunner film he did is decent. Moneyball and Wolf are good. Even 21 Jump has it's moments. I'm not a huge fan but I'm on the pro side.

Much more egregious eejits to moan about and despise. His Franco, Baruchel, Rogan, McBride cliqueness is annoying but personally I find the idea of Jonah Hill more annoying than when I actually engage with any of his output.

I had huge issues with James Franco too but don't have any issues with hating him, in fact I quite enjoy it!

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 05, 2018, 12:26:28 PM
I hate him too. Just watch movies and TV without him in.

I'm glad to hear I'm in good company. And I want to but he seems everywhere these days and all but inescapable.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I'm in the same boat, SMBH. His current ubiquity is frustrating, especially given that he insists on popping up in stuff by people I do like.

madhair60

Chollis

I didn't realise he was so ubiquitous. The only things I can remember seeing him in are Superbad first, then the Jump Street films and Wolf.  That's 4 things over the space of about 10 years. I should get out more

nedthemumbler

Have you seen Ladybird SMBH?  His sister's first big role, so now you can be tormented in two genders.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: SteveDave on December 05, 2018, 11:29:43 AM
He's quite good in "Don't Worry He Won't Get Far On Foot" which also has the added bonus of Joaquin Phoenix bombing about on a wheelchair.

He was good in this and also the Netflix thing Maniac.

I can't say I strongly disliked him before, just thought he was a bit of a tit.

All Surrogate

I'll join in on the hate, he seems like a huge Hollywood phony. Like his character in This is the End but for real. Not a gifted comedic or dramatic actor, and his post-weight loss face scares me.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: nedthemumbler on December 05, 2018, 02:43:55 PM
Have you seen Ladybird SMBH?  His sister's first big role, so now you can be tormented in two genders.

I haven't but now I feel I need to see whether she's deserving of my wrath as well.
Quote from: Carpool Dragon on December 05, 2018, 10:24:21 PM
I'll join in on the hate, he seems like a huge Hollywood phony. Like his character in This is the End but for real. Not a gifted comedic or dramatic actor, and his post-weight loss face scares me.

I'm with you on the acting front, he seems to play the same character in nearly everything, or a dull bland annoying type, I know that applies to a lot of actors but most are easier to ignore.

Ferris

He's good in Moneyball, and you get to learn about the mainstream adoption of sabermetric analysis in modern baseball. Literally win-win.

(Ferris sez: the film is a bit simplified - OBP will never be as value-centric as a combined OPS or OPS+, but it beats BA/RBIs into next week in assessing player contributions. It also glosses over the fact that people were calculating UZR/WPA and regular fWAR and bWAR back in the '90s, and SLG since forever. God I love baseball. Is it April yet?)

It's also a good film. Kevin Youkilis is on the hall of fame ballots this year, so it is sort of relevant.

buzby

He was good in his bit part as the 'trusted person' surety agent Joe Silverman who legally fosters the female star's illegitimate baby in Hail Caesar!

Icehaven

I suppose it's potentially a useful quality for an actor but I find him completely unrecognisable and forgettable. I've only knowingly seen him in one film (Wolf of Wall Street) and that's because everyone made a fuss about his role (think he won awards for it), however I've also seen several of the other films mentioned here and had absolutely no idea he was in any of them and obviously didn't clock him at the time. That's good for an actor but rubbish for a ''star''.