Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:11:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

In praise of life.

Started by Glebe, December 04, 2018, 07:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 06, 2018, 04:43:23 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to Kryten for infuriating him with the ludicrous self-pity that I, a fully grown middle-aged man , am  prone to indulge in. I'm very sorry for upsetting and offending you, Kryten.The " In Praise Of Suicide" thread was actually a jokey one, but suicide may be a topic that some people don't really see any inherent humour in.

No need to apologise. Just a touchy subject and obviously some things on my side haven't fully healed. I do wish everyone here the absolute best.

Instead of worrying what may have been, why not embrace the dark nights and cold days and just appreciate they're part of the cycle of life. Wrap up warm, drink some mulled wine, stay in contact with friends and family and help each other.

I'm sorry if I came across as too harsh.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I *do* have to apologise ( and you don't, Kryten ), because I'm a dick. Thanks for being so understanding.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Kryton on December 06, 2018, 01:17:37 AM

cutting back on the booze/drugs etc...

This cannot be stressed more. Half the reason people are fearful/ glum/ angry is because they're coming down most of the time. Or pissed and maudlin.  Even taking a week off the sauce can lift one's spirits considerably.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 06, 2018, 02:28:40 PM
This cannot be stressed more. Half the reason people are fearful/ glum/ angry is because they're coming down most of the time. Or pissed and maudlin.  Even taking a week off the sauce can lift one's spirits considerably.

I agree with this, having just taken a week off the source.  Having said that i'm now absolutely desperate to get pissed.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on December 06, 2018, 03:13:58 PM
I agree with this, having just taken a week off the source.  Having said that i'm now absolutely desperate to get pissed.

Ah, I know that late afternoon feeling. It's like a dog pining sensation. Just remember tomorrow's early morning feeling to help resist.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Look , does machotrouts' fucking avatar occasionally blink or not ?

tookish

I think I needed this thread today. Recently I'm in something of a low ebb, and thinking about suicide rather a lot as a means of escaping the no-end-in-sight drip-drip-dripping misery depression can be.

But I really do love life, for all its shortcomings. I love the excitement of learning something new. I love going for walks, and trying to cook something new. I love reading, and writing, I love discovering new music or watching a new film. I love spending time with people, I love coming home after a long day and knowing I'm really, properly home. I love babysitting my nephew. I love staying up late and laughing at stupid things. I love my dogs, with their big silly faces pushing into mine. I love my cats, with their little scrabbling paws and imperious meows. I love the little thrill of pleasure I get whenever I get through a task on Duolingo without getting anything wrong. I love climbing into bed next to my partners and letting their warmth envelop me. I love sharing food with somebody. I love meeting somebody new and digging out all the different layers of their 'them-ness'. I love talking to people about something we've both enjoyed, or not enjoyed. I love eating fruit. I love so many things, and you can't have any of them if you're dead.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: tookish on December 06, 2018, 09:10:30 PM
I love so many things, and you can't have any of them if you're dead.

This sentence. For those of you sweating the hard stuff, there is much to continue on to, for what it may be worth.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, and Cobie Smulders is still alive, innit ? Why should she be partaking of the oxygen and all the top stuff that this mad old mortal coil can bring us, and you shouldn't , eh ?

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 06, 2018, 08:55:44 PM
Look , does machotrouts' fucking avatar occasionally blink or not ?

I think I've seen it do it, but just assumed I'd imagined it due to sleep deprivation.

Brian Freeze

Saying it's good to hear other people have had similar thoughts doesn't sound right but it kind of is in a way as it's not something the twats I work with my esteemed colleagues and I would chat about.

I've had the odd moment of weighing up the balance of people being better or worse off without me recently. Think it's seasonal as well as other things and hearing other people talk about it here makes it feel a bit more normal to think this way occasionally.

Not going to do anything other than think about it though.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Gregory Torso on December 06, 2018, 10:20:17 PM
sorry

I actually saw your original quote, and thought it was quite amusing.Did you delete it because it looked insensitive juxtaposed against Brian Freeze's more serious post? You could have added Her Out Of Salad to that top duo, btw.

Buelligan

A close friend was having a serious wobble yesterday.  Sometimes I get so tired, so many people miserable and when you ask them why, they don't really know, so you can't help, not really.  And you watch as they, seemingly intentionally, slide towards irrevocable destruction, you do everything you possibly can and they get so angry with you, whilst you're carrying them and you think about their kids and pets and the people who love them and them for fuck's sake, who you love, and you think FOR FUCK'S SAKE, JESUS CHRIST, CAN'T YOU SEE WE'RE ALL CRYING BUT HOLD ON TO THE HOPE.  Have courage, for your friends.

My honest take is the Life in all her beauty, does not taste good to everyone all the time.  Sometimes it hardly ever does.  But we are not children, we know that all food does not have to be pink and fluffy with a cherry on top, we know that, at bottom, any food is better than no food.

Go out into this blue day and fix something, even if it is just a small piece of yourself and HOLD FAST.  Never, ever, give up.  Love from a Buelligan.  xxx

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Buelligan's a lovely person, and I won't have a word said against her was going to write something deliberately crass and stupid here, but I changed my mind.

massive bereavement

I've had enough of life.
I thought I'd blitzed long term depression for good in my late 20's, whenever I've felt really down since I've always known it would pass in a matter of days, but recently I've been sinking into an ever darkening hole for months on end and can't see a way out this time, the same old feelings I had in my teens and childhood are still there, lying dormant all these years and now I'm completely absorbed in them again. By gum it's grim. I have dependents however so I've got no choice but to carry on.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Glebe

Quote from: massive bereavement on December 07, 2018, 11:30:31 AMI've had enough of life.
I thought I'd blitzed long term depression for good in my late 20's, whenever I've felt really down since I've always known it would pass in a matter of days, but recently I've been sinking into an ever darkening hole for months on end and can't see a way out this time, the same old feelings I had in my teens and childhood are still there, lying dormant all these years and now I'm completely absorbed in them again. By gum it's grim. I have dependents however so I've got no choice but to carry on.

I'm really saddened to hear it, MB, you really need to give yourself a break and treat yourself... I hope you have support from family and friends... it's maybe not a huge consolation, but you know we're here for you...

Quote from: tookish on December 06, 2018, 09:10:30 PMI think I needed this thread today. Recently I'm in something of a low ebb, and thinking about suicide rather a lot as a means of escaping the no-end-in-sight drip-drip-dripping misery depression can be.

But I really do love life, for all its shortcomings. I love the excitement of learning something new. I love going for walks, and trying to cook something new. I love reading, and writing, I love discovering new music or watching a new film. I love spending time with people, I love coming home after a long day and knowing I'm really, properly home. I love babysitting my nephew. I love staying up late and laughing at stupid things. I love my dogs, with their big silly faces pushing into mine. I love my cats, with their little scrabbling paws and imperious meows. I love the little thrill of pleasure I get whenever I get through a task on Duolingo without getting anything wrong. I love climbing into bed next to my partners and letting their warmth envelop me. I love sharing food with somebody. I love meeting somebody new and digging out all the different layers of their 'them-ness'. I love talking to people about something we've both enjoyed, or not enjoyed. I love eating fruit. I love so many things, and you can't have any of them if you're dead.

Sorry to hear you've been feeling low lately Tookish, though your description of the good things in life is heartening... that's what I'm trying to focus on, despite feeling completely overwhelmed at the moment. 'Imperious mews' is a fantastic phrase, btw!

I just has an appointment at the local mental health services today, actually. Hadn't been there in awhile, I had a bit of an incident where one of their  young and inexperienced staff got shirty with the counsellor I'm seeing on the phone, but it's all water under the bridge.

garbed_attic

"How could you say you were fearless about leaving the party when it's like a party, even in stir - even franks and rice taste good when you're hungry, even an iron bar feels good to touch, it feels good to sleep."
(John Cheever, Falconer, p.214)

Pancake

When your shit, shower, shave, haircut and nail cutting schedules coincide

Pancake

Posted that before seeing the depression material, sorry ants. Sants.

machotrouts

[reads thread about, and inhabited by, people suffering from severe mental illnesses] Haha... people are confused and upset by my avatar. Owned

Cerys

And yes.  Yes, it does wink.

tookish

I rather needed this thread again.

My mental health is the lowest it's been in about five years, but I'm diligently writing down the little moments of happiness in every day, in a special book.

It won't always feel this awful, will it?

Buelligan

No it won't tooks.  HOLD FAST, all things must pass, even this, promise.  I send you a huge hug winging across the sky from this blue day.  Courage.

jobotic

No it won't always feel this awful but I know it's really hard to imagine how it feels when it doesn't. But it hasn't always felt this awful, has it?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: tookish on January 05, 2019, 03:23:12 PM

No. At various points in the future your life will be absolutely banging and you'll think "eh nice one, glad I stuck it out for this. This is a really good holiday/relationship/religious experience/spliff/wank/lifestyle magazine/whatever floats your boat".

It's been a long time since I was in a position where I seriously considered fucking off the old mortal coil, but I still suffer a fair bit from proper depression and feelings of zero self worth. But then I think, imagine not existing any more. I'd never get to listen to "Funky Town" ever again. That usually keeps me going.

Buelligan

Oh, Funky Town feat. Steve Fleming, now you're talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP4cKky7WC8

alan nagsworth

Aye, that's the kind of unrelenting attitude you wanna be taking, steaming through life on all pistons. But also whilst listening to "Funky Town". My god, it's such a bop.

Glebe

Quote from: tookish on January 05, 2019, 03:23:12 PMI rather needed this thread again.

My mental health is the lowest it's been in about five years, but I'm diligently writing down the little moments of happiness in every day, in a special book.

Quote"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

- er, Lance Armstrong. But still... I went to a friend's Dad's funeral over Christmas, and there were various ups-and-downs otherwise, but onwards and upwards.